Weight vs Length

I read a small knife throwing book about 25 years ago and purchased some good, Japanese spring steel throwers. I made a target and begin the slow, learning process. It took some months but I progressed nicely with the half spin throw..

I was always under the impression that the better throwers weighed very close or exact to their length? i.e. 12" and 12 oz's. This was according to the book http://www.amazon.com/Knife-Throwing-Practical-Harry-McEvoy/dp/0804810990

Why is it that most throwers I see are much lighter then their length, or in the case of Cold Steel, often heavier? Thanks for the responses.

Because most throwers are crap. Sorry, but thats been my experience. There are a lot of good ones out there, don't get me wrong, but the ones you are most likely to purchase are going to be cheap and light. The heavier the knife is, the easier it is to throw. It actually takes less effort to through a heavy knife, than a light knife. The reason for this is explained by the equation F=MxA or Force = Mass times Acceleration. The greater the mass, the harder the knife hits when it reaches the target, and the more likely it is to stick. The lighter the knife, the faster it must be thrown in order to get the same amount of force. (Makes you wish you had paid more attention in physics, don't it? :D ) Also, once the knife leaves your hand, it starts to slow down due to air resistance. A heavier knife will slow less than a light knife, and still hit hard. Also, because a heavy knife can be thrown slower, it is easier to control. Not to mention that its just plain bad ass to have a big knife as apposed to a small knife.

so, in short a heavy knife has the following.
1. Hits harder
2. More likely to stick.
3. Easier to cotrol and aim.
4. A big knife is just plain more bad ass than a small knife. :thumbup:

Second that. Most "pro" throwers are big, heavy slabs of steel with minimal grips or none at all. Most all the commercial throwers you see in stores and such are too short and too light.

Back