• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Weighted keychain: monkey's-fist with steel ball bearing

Can you make these with something lightweight that floats like cork or something. What I am thinking of is for a lanyard for either a yellow or orange Busse Game Warden. I was thinking Pingpong balls but they break to easy.

Hey Micky,
So did you have this in mind to keep the knife afloat if it falls in water? That would take quite a bit of bouyancy!
I really don't know off the top of my head if cork would work for that, or what. Anybody got advice on this one?
I'm up for doing fists with cores besides steel, just gotta work with me to pick out and track down the materials. :)

Firemonkey, emailed you back :)
Mike

Yes I was thinking about keeping the knife afloat in case it was dropped. Even if it was only for a short time so iy could be retrieved.

sentcha an email mike.. CRAZY story.. my cousin used the fist on a dog that attacked him, on a drunken 12 mile hike. it saved whatever that dog woulda chomped on.

MS Cantrell or Mikey,

You might want to try styrofoam balls you can get them at craft stores or hunting and fishing stores. But you might need bigger ones because of the weight. Try hooking up one with some line thru the ball and add some fishing sinkers as weight of the knife. Then drop it in a bucket of water to see how large to how small you need it to make the knife float.

STeven and secretagentmann007, emailed you.

Firemonkey, great idea. Those fishing bobbers are pretty strong, for styrofoam at least. For example, you can sit on 'em and they won't crush, right?
Micky, how many oz. does your GW weigh?

Gunslinger, sorry to leave you hanging on the experimental one! :foot:
I'm out of ball bearings till the supplier gets some more in tomorrow (Monday), or I'd tell you I'd work on it right now. HOWEVER, it has been a while, so I'll make this priority numero uno. I'll get cracking, and you'll have an email from me with pics within 48 hrs.

Mike

Gunslinger, here's the rough structure of the two-fisted monkey...
(Sent email too.)
Still needs tightening and to have the sinnet tied up, but the answer is yes, it's do-able.
It's a heckuva lot more hassle than I thought it would be :barf:
I'm going to finish this one up for you, but I won't be doing any more after this. It's quite a bit more than twice as much effort.

TwoFistedMonkey.jpg

Please accept my apology for being late on my 48 hours!
Mike

Micky,
Before I commit to anything, let me experiment with what size fishing bobber it takes to float 6 oz...
Mike

MSCantrell, You might want to go a little more on the weight. You have the weight of the cord and when getting wet is also a weight factor. Most of the bobbers will not crush when in your pocket.

Ping-pong balls will float a lot of things. If it gets punctured you got a problem, but if they get dented (sitting on it or stepping on it, but not to hard) you can fix it by boiling water and throw it in the water and it will pop back. Now this works on a regular ball without a cover. But with a monkey-fist cover don't know, never had to try it.

Mike, have you thought of using lead musket balls for weights?
they may be too heavy, but will certainly pack more punch.

No e-mail??? but that's cool ,,and just let me know when you get it done ,the cost and your mailing addy.

cw

firemonkey Good thinking, add a little extra for water weight in the cord...
Thought I'd have the chance to go buy bobbers this weekend, but we had surprise houseguests!

Liam, haven't thought about lead balls... I get the feeling people are real nervous about lead, you know, and wouldn't want to be handling it much. Where would you get lead musket balls?

Gunslinger, looks like I sent to the wrong email address (the one that came with paypal last time)... re-sent to the right address, with finished pictures :)

Mike

MSCantrell, I have talk to the fish guys behind the counter. There telling me on the small bobbers (1 1/4") will not float 6oz. plus the extra weight of the cord and water. They said they you might need shark bobber (HUGE). The only thing that I seen float is the key fob floaters, and that is with only 5 keys. You may need more than one m-fist for this.

You can order musket balls from most places that sell ammunition, muzzleloading is big these days.

If you are still making these, I would love to have one with the thimble in black or olive green.
Terry

tsf, yep I'm still making 'em... sent you an email :)
Mike

Back