Off Topic weird vintage axe, handle fail

i saw this on ebay and thought it was pretty funny. somebody put a single bit axe handle on a double bit axe. you would think that would be hard to do considering the difference in the eye shape.
s-l1600.jpg

It certainly does! Quite an odd animal, and I had the exact same reaction first!

Yeah that's not a true Adirondack handle from what I can see. Looks like a standard SB handle shaved down to fit.

I'm presuming the heads on these handles had a splitter profile on one bit and a chopper on the other. Otherwise why would you want an asymmetrical handle?

I'm presuming the heads on these handles had a splitter profile on one bit and a chopper on the other. Otherwise why would you want an asymmetrical handle?
I have been wanting to try one of these handles out for awhile.
Despite them being called "Adirondack" handles I see them on occasion in old photo's of western loggers. There is a picture of a faller on a spring board in "Axe Makers Of North America" on page 13 with an Adirondack handle. Just speculation but he probably just preferred the curved handle and Puget Sound patterns didn't come in single bits as far as I know.

Is that some kind of peened over pin in the head holding the handle? Sure looks like it, and the crack in the handle heads right towards it.

Yes it does. Here is another one that looks like the one you posted:

Bob

Being as that one in Bob's post and ONEBIGBOWIE's give the first impression of a single bit handle I wonder if we could find the "With Handle No. CCI" listed as a single or double bit handle as a replacement. Or on other single bit models from the same/similar resource?

Another question might be why these types of double bit handles don't really appear too often or for too great a time span in what we find online? Total assumption but could one reason that they were not offered enough to show in the major axe stuff catalogs/ads that have been scanned?

Or were they options that were from one to three of the bigger Handle suppliers of the time as options: factory and then for private/subsequent/ or secondary vendor?

I picture a "from scratch" Adirondack cruiser handle being fun... like a svelt boy's axe but with a double bit eye...

i think it would be cool if a company put out a special edition axe with this handle.
another random idea (although not a good one) would be if estwing made one out of one piece of steel like their double bit hatchet.

Tennessee Hickory Handles still makes Adirondack double-bit axe handles, and an online retailer currently has 18 of their Adirondack models/grades listed as available (in lengths of 30", 31", 32", in various grades):

Adirondack D. B. Axe, 30in DUKE
Model: [thh_1730-4]

Adirondack D. B. Axe, 30in FLAME SEASONED
Model: [thh_1730-8]

Adirondack D. B. Axe, 30in FORRESTER
Model: [thh_1730-11]

Adirondack D. B. Axe, 30in TOOLMASTER
Model: [thh_1730-5]

Adirondack D. B. Axe, 30in VICTOR
Model: [thh_1730-1]

Adirondack D. B. Axe, 30in VULCAN
Model: [thh_1730-9]