Welcome! Questions, ideas...post them here.

Hey Chip, would be interested in your thoughts on doing a CS Code 4...lot of virgin real estate.
Those are anodized aluminum, right? Cutting aluminum is no problem, but cutting through the hard anodizing can be risky in terms of flaking around the cut and damage to the finish during the process. I'd really only be comfortable engraving them if we stripped them first.

That Hera you are working on has such a fantastic 3D depth to it.

I am wondering if you could do a set of clockwork gears, steampunk style, like the cover of a gearbox has been removed. Like you are looking into the inner workings.

I am wondering if you could do a set of clockwork gears, steampunk style, like the cover of a gearbox has been removed. Like you are looking into the inner workings.
I've actually sketched things like that a few times, just haven't found the right knife to put it on👍

I had this all ready for my LCC, but when I actually laid it out on the curved bolster it looked silly...cuz curved gears don't work🤪🤣
Screenshot_20211208-180216_Photos.jpg
Wound up going with a symmetrical version of the tri-weave pattern and some selective anodizing instead😎
Screenshot_20211208-180341_Photos.jpg

Yo! Can ya pimp my pen? Been using it for the last couple weeks and I'm just not feeling it.

You're already aware of the issues, but here is how it turned out...
vU340OQ.jpg

Here's how I was hoping it was going to turn out (maybe even a shade lighter if possible)... But maybe with a silver endcap (or maybe not, can't decide if that would look stupid).
img_0071.jpg

If there's no way to get the color even... Maybe something like this then?
XdZvVk7xOvcaBJPRcGxRxxmS06kMERTy4zMSry4GCek.jpg

Idk, I'm pretty open.

Also... It has a little bolt made from a tiny piece of Timascus, but the colors are absolute shit. Maybe re-anodizing it would help? I'm not sure if it's too small, with layers to fine for it to make a difference... Although it looks like Tactile Turn is able to get some good color occasionally.
bolt.jpg
20211220_153546~2.jpg

Hey Chip, how deep can you easily do a basic pattern like a herringbone? Is 0.03" beyond your usual?

Hey Chip, how deep can you easily do a basic pattern like a herringbone? Is 0.03" beyond your usual?
The only real limit on depth is the material thickness, typical hand engraving runs about .005-10" deep...mine runs about twice that on the bigger/bolder stuff like the current basketweave project so a depth like you're talking with a herringbone weave is certainly doable. Any particular reason you want so much depth? I usually only carve stamps that deep🤔

Oh, and none of it is done easily😉😂

I profiled and did the rough grind on a seax.
I was looking at some British museum pics and they seem to have various patterns carved into them.
I'm thinking about different possibilities...

So... Would you want to try your hand at custom fitting a lockbar and blade on a Delica Wharncliffe? It might not be possible to get a safe lockup, but if someone can do it, I figure you're the guy to talk to, lol.

Worst comes to worst, I can have a custom lockbar made using the original lockbar (that is on my titanium/damasteel delica) as a template... So maybe file the lockbar, rather than the blade locking mechanism? Idk. Whatcha think?

QUSXrRH.jpg

Back