Welding an axe head

I recently got a nice Kelly Axe & Tool Co. hatchet head. It's in pretty good shape, except for a crack across it at the end of the eye. The crack is also miss-aligned, where tension has caused the edges of the crack to separate.
I'd like to have it welded so I can use it. My question is: How should it be welded? Should I have it welded by TIG, MIG, or some other method? I can gas weld it myself, but I'll have to have someone else arc weld it, by whatever method.
Here is a picture:
ETEsUGL.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rick

As long as you keep the edge cool, welding is welding.

The only hardened points on the head should be the bit and the hammer face. The body of the axe is either soft or tempered way back.

Hell, you can probably braze it if you wanted.

Regardless of method, go slow. Little bit at a time, keep it cool. Wrap the edge with a wet rag, continuously dunk in a bucket of water. And be happy the stamp is far from the crack. That's a nice one!

I've used a torch, old fashioned stick arc and mig for it. They all work good if you're good with them.

Good points about keeping the bit cool above. Wet rags work good. Due to that factor though a torch is probably the hardest, because of the amount of heat you end up putting in.

A good clean grind out is pretty important, which it looks like yours has but needs the rust knocked out again.

It's pretty simple really, just prep it, protect the bit and weld 'er up.

I've used a torch, old fashioned stick arc and mig for it. They all work good if you're good with them.

Good points about keeping the bit cool above. Wet rags work good. Due to that factor though a torch is probably the hardest, because of the amount of heat you end up putting in.k

A good clean grind out is pretty important, which it looks like yours has but needs the rust knocked out again.

It's pretty simple really, just prep it, protect the bit and weld 'er up.

I was a pipe welder for 40 years and if I might offer you a few suggestions that might help . First don’t quench carbon steel when it is just been welded , it crystalises and under continued pounding can crack alongside weld . You can go to a weld supply and buy a tube of “ heat shield “ , use it on areas you want to keep from losing temper , it works . If not available then use a wet rag as Holyroller and muleman recommened. 7018 in 3/32 diameter at 70 to 80 amps and start your weld at each end and weld toward middle , you won’t end up with a weld crater at end of weld . As was recommended by muleman do a little grind of crack but not to deep or you’ll blow through and have to clean out excess penetration , a piece of copper for a back up would prevent blow through , good luck !

If you remember your chemistry/physics classes, as long as the rag is in good constant contact and kept fairly well saturated, the area can't go much beyond 212F/100C as long as there is still water to boil. Keep it wet.

Thanks, maybe for five dollars I can get it. I've already spent four dollars for a NOS boys axe haft. Much more than that and the chief financial officer may have a word with me.

I don't have any vermiculite, that insulation stuff to let it cool in. I guess I could use kitylitter (Floor Dry) .

Reactions: A17
Vermiculite is available at Home Depot. But for this small project Kitty-liter should work. DM

Back