Well...It's Friday...

The Packrat and PK aren't in the email.

Your helpful and friendly QA Dept ;)
In mobile your browser might cut them off, my gmail gives a 'View entire message' link at the bottom which shows the rat and pk in the email.

Really nice Pack Rat, too. High grind, taper and pinout.

I know! And imagine the shape things would have been last week if I didn't fix all the hanging knives to be on the rings .. gawsh :D
It's a tough job, but someone had to do it! Chaos would ensue otherwise...we can't have the world spinning off axis like that!

I checked the email...on 3 different email addresses...I'd have to call that "user error" on that one. If there was an issue, not much I can do on the email...once it sends, I can't edit it.

In mobile your browser might cut them off, my gmail gives a 'View entire message' link at the bottom which shows the rat and pk in the email.

Really nice Pack Rat, too. High grind, taper and pinout.
I rechecked and the funny part was that it was cut off in my desktop view but the entire message displayed on my phone. Good catch!

Fiddleback_Forge_-_Nessmuk_-_Dyed_Curly_Maple_-_1_400x400.jpg

WHY is this still available! Killing me.
Bill

Some nice looking knives in today’s batch. :thumbsup:

Looks like some of the feedback has been heard.....thanks for the spine shot pics and the descriptions in the email and preview thread! Hope everyone gets the one(s) they want.... :)

Morning y'all, just wondering how the new format is going impact Fridays, if at all. Discuss amongst your elves...

Good morning all. I for one miss the old format. It just seemed more personal, more comraderie, special. Now it's like every other add to cart website purchase. If this is better for Fiddleback Forge then I'll support it. But I do miss the old Fiddleback Fridays. Now, let's see this week's knives!

Good morning all. I for one miss the old format. It just seemed more personal, more comraderie, special. Now it's like every other add to cart website purchase. If this is better for Fiddleback Forge then I'll support it. But I do miss the old Fiddleback Fridays. Now, let's see this week's knives!

Agreed!

The Event Formerly Known As Fiddleback Friday: even though the dynamic of trying to actually Shark a piece was way too stressful for me, I loved the energy of the in-forum event. Everything happened in real-time, from @VANCE’s posting of the pictures (which we sneak-peek devoured on Fotki ahead of time) to the thread itself, to the Unlock.

The format of the sale invited, and actually required, transparent participation, and a lot of vicarious fun for everyone. (The split-second wins and losses! Someone grabbing a knife they've longed for! Watching numbers of fellow members step in and shark their hearts out on behalf of someone who wasn't good at it or couldn't log in at that time! Knowing where the knives went, for potential follow-up! I think you get the picture. ;))

Now? An email goes out to anyone on Fiddlebackforge's list, with a link to the sale. All the images are choked with other items the Outpost is selling. The entire process takes place elsewhere, no forum participation required. It's just another Fiddlepost Outforge flash sale.

Hopefully this new sales model will free up more Fiddleback Forge time for... good things? And lead to more sales for them?

But the current changes add up to a loss to the community here, for whatever that’s worth in the bigger Fiddleback Fiddleback picture.

Perhaps the Group Buys will help scratch some of that itch here in the FF forum. But I'm sorry to see Fiddleback Friday go, all the same.

~ P.

I concur

Plus, the history aspect of things is gone and hidden inside the transactions of a website. There's no longer Fotki to roll back through, looking for something special and then referring to the corresponding Fiddleback Friday, and tracking down the knife based on who bought it. The fun aspect of seeing how many people went for which knife is no longer there but that goes with your comment of "every other add-to-cart" site.

I am glad folks are still checking in though so, Good morning everyone!!! :)

Please understand that Fiddleback Forge needed an overhaul. This was existential. I love each and every one of you, and I hope none of you, not one, is driven away by our new efforts.

There was basically no marketing happening. We're going to continue to work to make it fun for y'all, and this forum is almost solely a social and enthusiasm platform, a hang out. I think it is even more pure without Fiddleback Fridays, and now there is no judgement of it based on performance of that event. However, the idea that we would not use social media for marketing is not workable. Or, at least it was not working. In the end my decision was to continue to provide jobs for these artisans and to teach knife making, and to make knives myself rather than just shut the doors and get a real job. I know money is not the most important thing. I also know Fiddleback Friday had not been providing the revenue we needed to keep this place running. The good news is that there has been a jump in Fiddleback Friday sales, so on that one front, this is working.

I'm grinding over 40 blades today, so back to it. I'll post another video of the Woodsman WIP at instagram later and I hope you're watching.

Really Pertinux, please give the instagram another try. We're posting a lot there. There is still marketing being done too, so I'll understand if you don't want to. But know that it is necessary, and hopefully very professional, and tastefully done.

Andy,

Thanks for your response; I appreciate your taking the time to write out all that you have.

And once again, your voice carries; what you've laid out here is encouraging, and helpful.

There is a difference between how you are talking about these changes, and the (previous) feel of being marketed to in one's own living room. As t'were.

As I've said throughout, whatever's best for Fiddleback is ...best!

Specific to this thread, I was simply reflecting that the event of Fiddleback Friday is no longer what it was, here in the midst of the forum-- a sense of loss which in itself points to something good: how well you and your team have created a sense of community here.

The good news is that there has been a jump in Fiddleback Friday sales, so on that one front, this is working.

Booyah! :)

I love your knives and the team you've built around their creation, and I love hearing you talk about them; the greater your reach, the broader your customer base, the better! :cool:

~ P.

Last edited:
Please understand that Fiddleback Forge needed an overhaul. This was existential. I love each and every one of you, and I hope none of you, not one, is driven away by our new efforts.

There was basically no marketing happening. We're going to continue to work to make it fun for y'all, and this forum is almost solely a social and enthusiasm platform, a hang out. I think it is even more pure without Fiddleback Fridays, and now there is no judgement of it based on performance of that event. However, the idea that we would not use social media for marketing is not workable. Or, at least it was not working. In the end my decision was to continue to provide jobs for these artisans and to teach knife making, and to make knives myself rather than just shut the doors and get a real job. I know money is not the most important thing. I also know Fiddleback Friday had not been providing the revenue we needed to keep this place running. The good news is that there has been a jump in Fiddleback Friday sales, so on that one front, this is working.

I'm grinding over 40 blades today, so back to it. I'll post another video of the Woodsman WIP at instagram later and I hope you're watching.

Really Pertinux, please give the instagram another try. We're posting a lot there. There is still marketing being done too, so I'll understand if you don't want to. But know that it is necessary, and hopefully very professional, and tastefully done.

Thanks for the reply, to me, one of the strengths of the FBF brand is the access and camaraderie of those of us here on the forum. I always felt the Friday frenzy was a part of that. I know some didn't feel the same way, and that's OK, even encouraged. I just hope that we all don't get lazy and stop talking because it's all been discussed before. Keep posting up pictures and keep telling stories and I'll keep hanging out here and buying knives. I agree that this channel doesn't have the reach that you need to sustain and grow, but once you get people here, I'd offer there's lots of staying power. I think you're making all the right moves from my internet perch and just wanted to generate some discussion this morning instead of just saying mornin'

Naa. I'm not giving up Bladeforums. I've known folks here for over a decade. Some that are quite dear to me are only known by their internet handle. I remember the first time I went to meet up with the first forum friend I had made. Leah asked where I was going and I told her, "I'm going to meet my internet buddy." She gave a sidelong look at me, and quirked a grin. But then she made me give a detailed account of where I would be and for how long. Then when Dylan started coming by with his big colorful mohawks I remember her telling her mom on the phone that we were having dinner with Andy's internet friends and her having to give the same assurances. I learned to make knives here. I've suffered two depressions here. No, there is just too much important stuff here at Bladeforums for me to give it up. In addition, its too big a knife resource to abandon. AND, even recently, the mods and staff here have been very good to me. I really appreciate that Spark continues to do this thing. I know its not making him rich, but he still does it. Its a torch see, a giant trove of knife information. I can't think of any other reason for him to do this.

Naa. I'm not giving up Bladeforums. I've known folks here for over a decade. Some that are quite dear to me are only known by their internet handle. I remember the first time I went to meet up with the first forum friend I had made. Leah asked where I was going and I told her, "I'm going to meet my internet buddy." She gave a sidelong look at me, and quirked a grin. But then she made me give a detailed account of where I would be and for how long. Then when Dylan started coming by with his big colorful mohawks I remember her telling her mom on the phone that we were having dinner with Andy's internet friends and her having to give the same assurances. I learned to make knives here. I've suffered two depressions here. No, there is just too much important stuff here at Bladeforums for me to give it up. In addition, its too big a knife resource to abandon. AND, even recently, the mods and staff here have been very good to me. I really appreciate that Spark continues to do this thing. I know its not making him rich, but he still does it. Its a torch see, a giant trove of knife information. I can't think of any other reason for him to do this.

that's funny, my wife refers to Trackrock as my going to be "with my people."

Back