Well, my Sebenza is gone

You'll find many opinions on the porch. Almost as many as there are folks on the porch.

Personally I like traditional knives and modern knives, and usually carry one of each or more. GEC makes a fine knife. If they made more in SS, I'd have more of them. There's lots of other manufacturers too that have some fine offerings.

As far as your Sebenza goes, if it didn't see the light of day for two years then a trade is a decent idea. CRK knives are as good as a modern folder gets. I've got a Mnandi that sees some carry time and I've owned a few other CRK knives.

Good luck with your newly discovered knives. Make sure you stick around as you get drawn deeper and deeper in to this crazy traditional knife hobby.

That comment was made specifically in response to a woebegone post (since cleared up) about thread derailment. In any case not everyone here believes that GECs and slipjoints are all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes you'll get attaboys. Other times you won't.

You'll find many opinions on the porch. Almost as many as there are folks on the porch.

Personally I like traditional knives and modern knives, and usually carry one of each or more. GEC makes a fine knife. If they made more in SS, I'd have more of them. There's lots of other manufacturers too that have some fine offerings.

As far as your Sebenza goes, if it didn't see the light of day for two years then a trade is a decent idea. CRK knives are as good as a modern folder gets. I've got a Mnandi that sees some carry time and I've owned a few other CRK knives.

Good luck with your newly discovered knives. Make sure you stick around as you get drawn deeper and deeper in to this crazy traditional knife hobby.
Thanks for the kind words.
I'm sure it will be a "downward" spiral. :D

That comment was made specifically in response to a woebegone post (since cleared up) about thread derailment. In any case not everyone here believes that GECs and slipjoints are all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes you'll get attaboys. Other times you won't.
I appreciate your understanding.
That was my fault for wording it wrong in the first place.

The pull on a 25 can be mighty stout, I've had a few that were nailbreakers. I'm glad my first GEC wasn't one of those, I probably would have been shy about trying another.

I did quite a bit of research before buying my first though.

oKkQaO0.jpg

Unless I misread the question, it was asked in comparison to Case CV, (I've only ever owned Case slipjoints, never GEC. What should I expect?). GEC's 1095 is pretty good, just way too thick behind the edges and not ground thin enough to suit me, and it wouldn't break my heart if they would hollow grind some blades. I'm not a big fan of carbon, but if it's done right 1095 is a fine steel for a slip joint.

I understand your point but I can't frankly find any difference between CASE's cv, Böker's carbon or GEC's 1095. As for CASE's ss it seems to behave the same as their cv except in rusting, just a preference point for patinating steel or stainless. There are plenty of us here who are tired of GEC's carbon dogma at the expense of Sandvik, 440c, D2, or anything stainless at all-no stainless release in 2017!

I love my GECs. They are examples of true traditional patterns and workmanship, and the fit and finish can’t be beat. I also appreciate that they are equally appropriate for use in the boardroom as they are in the barnyard.

That said, your post got me thinking about my Sebenza that was stolen in 2008, and I wound up finding an incredible deal on a large Sebenza with snakewood and raindrop Damascus as a replacement. The bottom line is as with women, whiskey, and other fine things in life, many of us appreciate a wide variety of knives.

J0pC1d6.jpg

J4kd76c.jpg

Last edited:
The bottom line is as with women, whiskey, and other fine things in life, many of us appreciate a wide variety of knives.

Perhaps it's my status as a married man talking, but how do you manage that? :eek: I haven't been able to pull off that trick since college.

A-Ive only ever owned Case slipjoints, never GEC. What should I expect?
B-Is there any fancy care required for Micarta handles? I've never owned any micarta. I've heard they can dry up and absorb odors.
A: GEC 1095 seems to be a little harder than Case CV. Not much, but I feel the difference on the sharpening stones. That may or may not translate into any meaningful difference in your use of the knife. Unlike Case, GEC also uses carbon steel for the backsprings, and sometimes the liners and bolsters on all-steel models. You need to take this into account in your maintenance procedures.

B: I have 1 Micarta knife that I carry occasionally - a Queen Country Cousin. It seems to benefit from a little mineral oil rubbed into it once in a while. Very little. Usually occurs as a side effect of sharpening (I use oil stones) or oiling the joint. I rub it in with my fingers before wiping it off with a cloth/paper towel.

Bring on a diet doesn't mean you can't look at the menu. That's what I've been telling her for almost 50 years. She still rolls her eyes...
Off Topic
That used to be my mantra, now it's "I may be old, but I'm not dead". :D
rye_a rye_a , Nice bunch of trads! What's that odd looking thing in the last pic? ;) JK, Chris makes some wonderful knives!

Back