Well that did not take long....

'Character' - scuffs, scratches, usage marks, etc. - is what I look for when I buy a knife here. I make a point of using almost every knife I buy, but not all of them. One of my all-time favorite Spyderco knives is a stainless Native, and I accidentally dropped it, stepped on it, and slid it several inches on our concrete driveway. (I was trying to catch our dog.) I gave it a nice workover with 400-grit emery cloth, chased down the sharp corners of the handle, and it actually turned out to be a more comfortable user.

Here's a couple threads on 'Expensive Users' for some inspiration:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/whats-your-most-expensive-user.1065199/

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/your-most-expensive-user.548542/

~Chris

Sadly most those pics have been photosuckit

Battle scars are nothing to worry about. It adds class. ZT are made to be used and abused.

Btw, when you tell this story again, don't tell folks you ran over it, say a train did...:D

I remember when I bought my first new car (I usually buy used) and got the scratch on the paint job. Almost cried.

Stuff happens. You might need some sort of rigid pouch/sheath to clip the knife and attached to the chair. Thin kydex would work as long as it isn't sharp on the edges.

Stuff happens. You might need some sort of rigid pouch/sheath to clip the knife and attached to the chair. Thin kydex would work as long as it isn't sharp on the edges.

I think the OP should run a lanyard through the knife and tie it to his belt loop or somewhere on his chair. The lanyard should be long enough that the knife can be used for any cutting or playing with, but short enough that if he drops the knife it will dangle without hitting the floor. Also since he is paralized it will let him pull the knife up after he drops it without having to get someone else to get it for him off the floor.

The lanyard is probably a good idea. The length is what bothers me as it might get tangled up in something important (like the wheels).

Every nick and ding adds character -- at least, that's what I tell myself when I look in the mirror to see what 70* years has done (*holy sh*t!... when did that happen?). Knives, too. Christmas is a time for counting our blessings, however great or small they may be.

by the grace of God I had good return in my hands and some in my arms, allowing me to keep enjoying my favorite things, knives and guns

You have a great outlook brother. :thumbsup:

I would either use the hell out of it, or sent it away to get it fixed up. Too nice a knife not to use though.

That's why I don't mind buying some things pre-owned. Other than the price difference, it's a lot easier to use something that already shows some signs of use. I've gotten a lot better as I get a little older, but when I was younger I wasn't afraid to use or abuse most things.

Titanium handle scales look best worn in and I agree with everyone else... now it is personalized

I think the OP should run a lanyard through the knife and tie it to his belt loop or somewhere on his chair. The lanyard should be long enough that the knife can be used for any cutting or playing with, but short enough that if he drops the knife it will dangle without hitting the floor. Also since he is paralized it will let him pull the knife up after he drops it without having to get someone else to get it for him off the floor.

Until it gets tangled in his spokes. I would get a retractible zinger style lanyard. Like the ones that fly fisherman use on their vests to keep from dropping tools in the water

Last edited:
Btw, to the original poster;

Why not use that lanyard hole and attatch a lanyard through the knife to your waist or somewhere on your chair? That way if you drop it, it won’t hit the floor.

Beautiful worn Sebbie up above. A well worn knife shows that a dude loved the knife enough to carry it.
My small 21 is not quite there yet.
MAfPrgF.jpg
Well I'm going to have to figure out something for sure now, my parents got me the zt 0804cf, which was actually the knife I originally went to buy because it was also on sale.
But that one more than likely won't get carried for a while, it will be much harder to replace

Back