Attention Well, what form should our BF Forum knife's bone handles take for 2021??

Bone format??

• Smooth, beveled

Votes: 152 41.8%
  • Sawcut

Votes: 172 47.3%
  • Jigged

Votes: 40 11.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Official word from the top; Bill has been running like crazy to get GEC ready for the Rendezvous, but finally got back to me!!
The construction of the knife - Nickel bolsters, and brass liners and pins!!
The bolsters are big, too big to try and form from steel. His first intention was an all steel knife, but it won't be the case here - (pun intended:rolleyes:)!!
So however that affects your final vote . . . . . . . . . . . .👍
I think a smooth ivory bone would have made a classy knife, but for me brass makes that a no-go. Thanks for letting us know Charlie and for taking this on for us in the first place ... maybe another year!

And I don't mind a bit of verdigris, but I don't want it on ivory or white scales.

Last edited:
The few knives I've owned with nickel and brass ... the nickel bolsters will age and take on a brass look as the age anyway.

That's pretty standard on a LOT of knives.
It's quite possible I have many such knives and have never noticed whether they ended up matching themselves.
Just wondered.

Interesting how many jigglers aren't changing their votes.

Smoothie Vs Sawcut Now,
Later
White Vs Other colors….

Hmmm…Some plans seem easy to read 🤣

Last edited:
So, if we dye the handles a nice rich color, how great would smooth bone look??!!
I'm still rooting for Smoothie!! :cool:View attachment 1580105
Look how that Smooth Red stands out in a crowd!!👍
Charlie, in all of the various Barlow with sawcut photos I have seen I can't recall any with fancy grooved and lined bolsters like those lovelies above. Do you have any examples of those types of bolsters paired with sawcut scales? I like the look of sawcut with plain or stamped bolsters, but I just have not seen an example with fancier bolsters and sawcut.

edit: d'oh! that brown one is actually sawcut I see! It was hard to tell on my phone. I still prefer smooth very much.

Also, very much in agreement that the Red smooth really pops.

Ah, yes and once smooth wins it will be white vs several other colors. This will divide the vote between the colors and white will win. Make no mistake a vote for smooth is a vote for a white knife.
I've been saying all along... I really want a smooth black camel bone.

I know a lot of people have said they want white/ivory smooth bone, but I really think this new development would change much of that, and I also would find it hard to believe deep brown smooth bone wouldn't be a contender.

If one of the options had been polished stag, like on this Washington, I'd have been all over it, verdigris or no.

MrjxJu3.jpg

By far my favorite of Charlie's or GEC's covers. Barring this, texture makes a knife so much more fun and interesting.

I've been saying all along... I really want a smooth black camel bone.

I know a lot of people have said they want white/ivory smooth bone, but I really think this new development would change much of that, and I also would find it hard to believe deep brown smooth bone wouldn't be a contender.
vqQTQa6.jpg

I had to go to the barn to do some research and brain storming regarding Charlie’s idea of smooth red bone. I would consider it IF we could eliminate plain white undyed smooth bone from contention, but there is no way to do that at this juncture. Too late to change the rules. It is clear to me that if smooth bone is selected, plain undyed white will win out, and we will end up with something that looks like my horse’s teeth! (Just adding a bit of levity with the photo, and no animals were harmed in the making of this post.)

52273B56-6A7E-41C4-8CBE-C92352227F7E.jpeg

Last edited:
Is a little verdigris such a bad thing? ;)

It seems pretty patriotic, to me!🇺🇸
A symbol of freedom... a symbol of the American way... a symbol of tourism!

Edit- can we photoshop our beloved lady holding a maple leaf for Charlie's benefit, and... uh... sitting on top of the Sidney Opera House for Meako?

Yeah, the degree to which verdigris has driven decisions about this knife is giving verdigris waaayyyyyyyy too much credit. It doesn't grow overnight, and a little bit of flitz or other polish will take the tarnish right off of that brass before it becomes verdigris.

Yeah, the degree to which verdigris has driven decisions about this knife is giving verdigris waaayyyyyyyy too much credit. It doesn't grow overnight, and a little bit of flitz or other polish will take the tarnish right off of that brass before it becomes verdigris.
I think here's they're worried about the brass scales under the covers staining the white bone the same color of the verdigris.
But still... I agree with you. Discolored scales to me is like patina on a blade. It just shows that it's been here a while.

Verdigris just shows how much you love the knife. You could say its the character that becomes imparted on the knife from years of love and devotion. None un-dyed voters just want something pretty in the tube. Undyed/white/ivory voters want something that they will cherish and care about. Verdigris is positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back