Wenger vs Victorinox

Is there a qualitative difference between the Wenger and Vic Soldier (I understand both are discontinued). What are the blade steels of each? Also regarding the blade steel, does one sharpen and hold an edge better than the other. Is one more desired or preferred than the other?

I have not seen any discernible difference in either build or material quality between the two. I also have not heard any reports from others on any differences in edge holding ability or anything else.

I own both and have used both. There is no real difference in quality between Victorinox and Wenger knives. It's a matter of personal preference.

The Vic Soldier is more likely to be produced in the future. Vic really is phasing/has phased out the Wenger brand, at least on traditional SAKs. 😥. Yes, it's personal preference. But I always felt my Wengers were sharper and tougher. And I prefer the Wenger shield.

Last edited:
The Vic Soldier is more likely to be produced in the future. Vic really is phasing/has phased out the Wenger brand, at least on traditional SAKs. 😥. Yes, it's personal preference. But I always felt my Wengers were sharper and tougher. And I prefer the Wenger shield.

I agree with your sentiments, Dr. Scott. I recently purchased an 'EVOGRIP S18' Vic model, and it seems the 'Wenger' lever-action scissors are now part of the package. Instead of the typical 'spring-actuated' version, one normally encounters on Vic SAKs.

eeb645af-2a66-4d01-9d70-77b26db0ec08_zpsewxkz7za.jpg

1f7baa69-4cb3-4c53-9423-df0a1abdfd6c_zpsvjk89zs7.jpg

I have no idea if the 'Wenger-type' scissors are "left-over" production stock, or are the 'new-norm' for Victorinox SAKs. I prefer the 'spring-actuated' Vic scissors personally, but this is an interesting 'evolution' to say the least.

Last edited:
I agree with your sentiments, Dr. Scott. I recently purchased an 'EVOGRIP S18' Vic model, and it seems the 'Wenger' lever-action scissors are now part of the package. Instead of the typical 'spring-actuated' version, one normally encounters on Vic SAKs.

eeb645af-2a66-4d01-9d70-77b26db0ec08_zpsewxkz7za.jpg

1f7baa69-4cb3-4c53-9423-df0a1abdfd6c_zpsvjk89zs7.jpg

I have no idea if the 'Wenger-type' scissors are "left-over" production stock, or are the 'new-norm' for Victorinox SAKs. I prefer the 'spring-actuated' Vic scissors personally, but this is an interesting 'evolution' to say the least.

The old Wenger factory at Delemont is still producing knives, but they now carry the Victorinox brand and shield. The Evogrip knives, and others in Victorinox' "Delemont Collection," are produced in the old Wenger factory and are essentially Wenger knives. But the Wenger brand is no longer used.

Economics would suggest that the Delemont knives will continue to be produced so long as they are profitable and do not negatively impact the regular Victorinox lines.

From what I have read, the Victorinox factory is much larger, relatively new, and likely more profitable, than the old Wenger Delemont plant. It is probably only a matter of time until the old Wenger factory is shut down for good.

I've always preferred the back spring powered Wenger scissors as I've never had to replace a Wenger scissors spring. Certainly can't say that for Victorinox.

The old Wenger factory at Delemont is still producing knives, but they now carry the Victorinox brand and shield. The Evogrip knives, and others in Victorinox' "Delemont Collection," are produced in the old Wenger factory and are essentially Wenger knives. But the Wenger brand is no longer used.

Economics would suggest that the Delemont knives will continue to be produced so long as they are profitable and do not negatively impact the regular Victorinox lines.

From what I have read, the Victorinox factory is much larger, relatively new, and likely more profitable, than the old Wenger Delemont plant. It is probably only a matter of time until the old Wenger factory is shut down for good.

Thanks, Doc for the reply. It makes imminently 'more sense' than my conjecture. I wonder if, eventually the Ibach-made knife will be a hybrid-amalgam of both products? Obviously, the 'scissors controversy' will trigger countless arguments amongst Swiss-Army afficianados.

Last edited:
Just when you thought Wenger might fade into obscurity, there are a great number of Wenger styled/influenced/models in the current Victorinox catalog. Go figure.

Who can understand the Swiss mind? It is a clash of languages, cultures and eras... Just look at the Vic pocket clip and the backwards liner lock.

The exception, of course, is SwissBianco. He is the revolutionary Swiss; the essential culmination of the good properties of the Swiss plus free-thinking, hard working and independently self-sufficient.

- Paul

... I wonder if, eventually the Ibach-made knife will be a hybrid-amalgam of both products? ...
I don't see much of this ever happening, if at all - the "frames" of the "native" Victorinox and Wenger-originated series are very different, so I expect the current collection of implements (like backspring-powered scissors) to stay with their frames. For example, I would be shocked if Victorinox decides to leverage the "locking bottle-opener screwdriver" patent or the locking main blade on their 84mm or 91mm lines.

thanks paul.

after the sak part of wenger was put down the production in delemont factory who made them was altered with some few parts upgrade on these sak plus the vic logo/shield and that new created line was given an chance on the market. the delemont factory/place will be in the future mainly used for watch making, this place has an tradition for that.

the vic pocket clip idea was from +B and got payd but the execution was done in an different way with not quite understanding how say the us use a pocket clip. that is when +B did make the original pocket clip design version and its in the webshop. part of the problem was that the vic clip was only for one layer sak and would not fit on the more layer sak say as the one hand trekker, the +B clip will work on all 111mm liner lock sak. the misunderstanding in swiss that say the us would not carry thicker and heavy sak in theyr pockets therefore no clip is needed is sure there, +B now that the us do use clips also in say jacket pockets or in the organizer to clip a heavy, big sak secure in place. i do that myself too.

what we call the liner lock, it is not a correct liner lock either as it has no detent ball and no angle on the locking surface, is partly swiss and partly a german problem. back then vic did refuse to make one hand opening sak the idea was that only criminals use such and that they do crimes by open the knife behind theyr backs with one hand and then rob or else the victims. where that idea came from i cant say and as best i see in swiss such missuse was not common at all. then the german military wanted to replace an older sak design with a sak that has a one hand opening blade, combo edge the "unusual" way with serrations in the front and plain edge on the toward the tang part, an locking screwdriver and some more features. unfortunally they did not spec say that the blade needs be one hand opening AND closing. as you look at the design of the liner lock, the same steel liner also lock the flat screwdriver but that placement do not allow for one hand closing... the german military somehow was happy on what they got for test and did as best i see not give feedback that the blade cant be easy be closed with one hand. and ever since then it is like that.
the foreward serrations on the blade +B did fix with the first series of plain edge one hand trekker sak, back then the old version with the smaller hole in the blade.

the german military one hand opener sak was for quite a good while not be sold on civilian sales and no civilian model was made, as its one hand feature was bellived be an problematic feature and used by criminals only. this is hardest to understand if you look at sak on an more international way as +B does.

that are joust some details in many of the sak matters over the years. we will see what the future will bring.

Last edited:
Back