Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
This was a good 'un. This Grjngo channel is pretty much my background music in the shop anymore.

Richard Widmark is awesome.

What good comes out of listening to westerns for shop noise? Finding a chick fight between Brigitte Bardot and Claudia Cardinale.

(Full movie on Grjngo Channel)

I just now found this thread thanks to John's giveaway, so here's my top five list:

1) The Wild Bunch
2) Shane
3) One-Eyed Jacks
4) Once Upon a Time in the West
5) The Shootist

I just now found this thread thanks to John's giveaway, so here's my top five list:

1) The Wild Bunch
2) Shane
3) One-Eyed Jacks
4) Once Upon a Time in the West
5) The Shootist

Great picks right there, all great movies.

Set in the West, maybe not a Western but pretty good nonetheless.

I've heard that The Magnificent Seven is based on this.

Last edited:
Kurosawa was pretty much the Grandfather of all action movies. There are so many movies and even cartoons based on the Seven Samurai. I pity people that say "Oh, I don't do subtitles", Kurosawa flicks are intense, you just have to get over the subtitles and lack of special effects and look for the substance. Most modern movies are absolute garbage, all special effects and crap one liners with egotistical characters and barely a plot. Westerns are probably the last great genre of American movies. I'm gonna get off my soapbox now before I really get going!!

Kurosawa was pretty much the Grandfather of all action movies. There are so many movies and even cartoons based on the Seven Samurai. I pity people that say "Oh, I don't do subtitles", Kurosawa flicks are intense, you just have to get over the subtitles and lack of special effects and look for the substance. Most modern movies are absolute garbage, all special effects and crap one liners with egotistical characters and barely a plot. Westerns are probably the last great genre of American movies. I'm gonna get off my soapbox now before I really get going!!

Did you see the episode of the Mandalorian where he and the woman taught the peaceful villagers how to fight the invaders that would rob them of their stores?

It was like a 10 minute homage to The Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai.

That entire series is rehashed scenes from old westerns. They stole his horse (stripped his ship), killed his friend while he was riding back to the camp (ship) by himself, and he rides from town (planet) to town trying to avoid the authorities.

Did you see the episode of the Mandalorian where he and the woman taught the peaceful villagers how to fight the invaders that would rob them of their stores?

It was like a 10 minute homage to The Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai.

That entire series is rehashed scenes from old westerns. They stole his horse (stripped his ship), killed his friend while he was riding back to the camp (ship) by himself, and he rides from town (planet) to town trying to avoid the authorities.
Right? From breaking alien horse critters to the "oh crap" when they break out laser gatling guns and cannons, every scene is out of a western. A lot of Outlaw Josey Wales in it too. I like it but I thought the last episode sucked.

Right? From breaking alien horse critters to the "oh crap" when they break out laser gatling guns and cannons, every scene is out of a western. A lot of Outlaw Josey Wales in it too. I like it but I thought the last episode sucked.

The lava river was a stretch. A cave full of lava would sear your lungs shut in short order.

The lava river was a stretch. A cave full of lava would sear your lungs shut in short order.
It seemed kind of rushed, and nobody really cared when the best character of the show died (Kuill? the "I have spoken" guy), but we were supposed to give a shite about the drug out scene where the droid died?

I LOVE Westerns - my wife rarely does... So I have to watch them on my own time. I saw that the Godless series was mentioned - pretty terrific, especially Jeff Daniels (he absolutely made that show). Another show that I got a lot of enjoyment out of was Hell on Wheels. Now my wife did like watching that one with me, mostly because she likes the main actor.

Here is one that took me a bit by surprise. It is a hard movie to watch but I find it to be excellent nonetheless. More of a thriller set in the West, I suppose.

Brimstone with Guy Pearce and Dakota Fanning.

I watched The Kid last night. Despite Westerns generally drawing the scorn of most critics (they can go pound sand as far as I am concerned), this was a solid movie with a brilliant cast. Ethan Hawke was just excellent, he should do more Westerns - I liked him in The Magnificent Seven as well. Chris Pratt was the furthest thing from the bumbling hero - definitely a dark, brutal role for him in this film.

Also, the guy who played Billy just nailed it, 'twas a pleasure to watch.

What are your thoughts on some of the remakes out there?

3:10 to Yuma comes to mind. I remember watching the original 1957 version with Glen Ford and Van Heflin and thinking, "What a great movie!". I thought it held up real well for being such an aged movie. When the remake was announced, I was pretty excited and ended up watching it in the theaters.

I was disappointed. It was a quality movie all around - fun gun play (despite the 1855 Colt Revolver Sniper thingy and the sawed off Shotgun blowing dudes off horses from a goodly distance away and the obscenely accurate Gatling gun....). It had a great cast - Ben Foster really did well in his role as Charlie Prince and the Schofields he was carrying were pretty damn cool to see. I guess what was disappointing was the steep psychological curve they went down with regards to the Dan Evans character and the ultimate conclusion to the film. I would have much rather it ended like the original...

I do need to re-watch it though, it's been a good long while since I've seen it. Maybe I will like it more.

On the flip side, I enjoyed the True Grit remake a hell of a lot more than I liked the John Wayne version (blasphemy, I know). Jeff Bridges was just pure awesome, as was the girl who played Mattie. Easily one of my favorite modern Westerns.

Man I couldn't gave said that better myself. Glenn Ford is one of my favorite actors and the original 3:10 was a great movie. The remake wasn't as intense and didn't build the stress that I thought the first one did it, it relied too much on fluff like most modern movies. In the original you actually worried about Van Heflin and really despised the Fords gang especially the guy running it (short blond kid, Jack something I think). The acting in the new one was great, but I didn't really give two shits about any of the characters.

As a side note, I'd always heard that Glenn Ford was the fastest draw in Hollywood. Even with the camera cuts between shots this scene is still impressive. From "Heaven with a gun", don't aggravate a preacher with a past!

As far as modern Westerns go, I thought this one was great.
2005-8-proposition-f.jpg

Man I couldn't gave said that better myself. Glenn Ford is one of my favorite actors and the original 3:10 was a great movie. The remake wasn't as intense and didn't build the stress that I thought the first one did it, it relied too much on fluff like most modern movies. In the original you actually worried about Van Heflin and really despised the Fords gang especially the guy running it (short blond kid, Jack something I think). The acting in the new one was great, but I didn't really give two shits about any of the characters.

As a side note, I'd always heard that Glenn Ford was the fastest draw in Hollywood. Even with the camera cuts between shots this scene is still impressive. From "Heaven with a gun", don't aggravate a preacher with a past!

I think that is the gist of the why the original was better than the remake.

I kept thinking throughout watching the remake, "When am I going to start actually liking Dan Evan's character". Christian Bale does a good job at the whole "tortured soul" sort of portrayal but it isn't particularly likable and towards the end, you feel like you are supposed to be rooting for the bad guy...

The original demonstrated that bit of steely resolve that Dan's character had a lot better than the remake.

As far as modern Westerns go, I thought this one was great.
2005-8-proposition-f.jpg

I had not heard of this one, what a terrific cast, might see if I can find it tonight to watch.

Back