Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
Just was rolling through YouTube a bit ago, and ran into John's Bowie video, and right above it was Chuck...maybe a relative John?

I watched The Kid last night. Despite Westerns generally drawing the scorn of most critics (they can go pound sand as far as I am concerned), this was a solid movie with a brilliant cast. Ethan Hawke was just excellent, he should do more Westerns - I liked him in The Magnificent Seven as well. Chris Pratt was the furthest thing from the bumbling hero - definitely a dark, brutal role for him in this film.

Also, the guy who played Billy just nailed it, 'twas a pleasure to watch.

We watched it this past weekend. It was as you said. Solid. :thumbsup:

Whoever laid out the scene where the young kid opens his eyes in the shack and sees Billy standing there nailed the imagery with the visual reference to this photo.

220px-Billy_the_Kid_corrected.jpg

I had to do a double take myself. :cool::D

Whoever laid out the scene where the young kid opens his eyes in the shack and sees Billy standing there nailed the imagery with the visual reference to this photo.

I'm going to have to check that out.

Also, don't know if this qualifies as a western, but I've been watching Longmire on Netflix. Season 1 was pretty slow moving, but things really start to move inseasons 2 and 3.

I've watched a few episodes of Longmire, they were pretty good. It's nice to see a modern show with a good guy that's tough and has integrity. Longmire kind of taps into the Rifleman and Gunsmoke.

I wasn't even paying close attention and that scene caught my eye right away. Before it really registered, the thought came, "That's Billy!".

A terrific scene.

Just finished watching The Ballad of Lefty Brown. What a terrific movie, Bill Pullman is just fantastic.

Not western related, but have you watched The Sinner at all? Has Pullman as a detective, and each season (3rd just finished) is a murder case that he works on.

I have not but I will certainly check it out. I just watched a trailer - looks like something my wife would enjoy watching too.

As far as modern Westerns go, I thought this one was great.
2005-8-proposition-f.jpg

I finally got around to watching this one. That was a terrific watch. That said, I never want to live in Australia (or at least that part of Australia) - hot, ridden with flies, and dry as a bone. Everyone looks grimy and miserable - an excellent effect, in my opinion.

Just finished watching The Ballad of Lefty Brown. What a terrific movie, Bill Pullman is just fantastic.

That was a good one.

I still can enjoy an early classic (some of the stunts in this film are legendary)

n2s
Absolutely, I prefer a good story over the CGI flashy garbage movies of today.

I finally got around to watching this one. That was a terrific watch. That said, I never want to live in Australia (or at least that part of Australia) - hot, ridden with flies, and dry as a bone. Everyone looks grimy and miserable - an excellent effect, in my opinion.
I definitely put it in the "Great Modern Westerns" category. Gritty and rough.

This guy is crude but hilarious at times. His take on westerns is pretty good.

I watched The Kid last night. Despite Westerns generally drawing the scorn of most critics (they can go pound sand as far as I am concerned), this was a solid movie with a brilliant cast. Ethan Hawke was just excellent, he should do more Westerns - I liked him in The Magnificent Seven as well. Chris Pratt was the furthest thing from the bumbling hero - definitely a dark, brutal role for him in this film.

This was a good suggestion.
I agree that Ethan Hawke was good. Interesting to see him in this kinda role. He was really good in Training Day. I guess he's matured a bit physically and can perhaps play more of a "man's man" role now.

Anyone seen Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell?
A unique western. Very good.

Thanks for bumping this, guys! :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to look for this one, doesn't look like I've seen it. Where'd you watch it?

I'm going to have to check that out.

Also, don't know if this qualifies as a western, but I've been watching Longmire on Netflix. Season 1 was pretty slow moving, but things really start to move inseasons 2 and 3.
I very much enjoyed Longmire. Was bummed Netflix canceled it.

Has the AMC show "Hell on Wheels" been mentioned in here yet? Another one that's on Netflix I rather enjoyed and would recommend. Follows the building of the intercontinental railroad, much of it set on the plains of Nebraska and Wyoming. I spend some time out there, so it helps me connect with it a bit, I suppose.

ETA :
I LOVE Westerns - my wife rarely does... So I have to watch them on my own time. I saw that the Godless series was mentioned - pretty terrific, especially Jeff Daniels (he absolutely made that show). Another show that I got a lot of enjoyment out of was Hell on Wheels. Now my wife did like watching that one with me, mostly because she likes the main actor.

Here is one that took me a bit by surprise. It is a hard movie to watch but I find it to be excellent nonetheless. More of a thriller set in the West, I suppose.

Brimstone with Guy Pearce and Dakota Fanning.

I guess "Hell on Wheels" was mentioned, only a few posts before the recently-quoted "The Kid". Oh well. :oops:

Last edited:
Anyone seen Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell?
A unique western. Very good.

I host a Halloween Movie Night every year and this was one of the picks a few years back. I enjoyed the hell out of it - it felt like a Western "13th Warrior" so definitely on the different side. I like old and grizzled Kurt Russell - he was my favorite part of Hateful 8 (the first half anyway...) and he was awesome in Deathproof (not a western).

I'm going to have to look for this one, doesn't look like I've seen it. Where'd you watch it?

Well, that is a really good question... I can't quite recall but I think it was on Prime. (Have one of those smart TVs where you punch in a title and it finds it in any of the apps it might be available)

Has the AMC show "Hell on Wheels" been mentioned in here yet? Another one that's on Netflix I rather enjoyed and would recommend. Follows the building of the intercontinental railroad, much of it set on the plains of Nebraska and Wyoming. I spend some time out there, so it helps me connect with it a bit, I suppose.

Oh! And I love Hell on Wheels, just finished watching it the second time through about a month or two ago. So many great characters.

Well, that is a really good question... I can't quite recall but I think it was on Prime. (Have one of those smart TVs where you punch in a title and it finds it in any of the apps it might be available)
No worries, I'll go look for it then. I have Netflix and Amazon with HBO, and a 30-day trial of Hulu going right now, so I has options. ;)

No worries, I'll go look for it then. I have Netflix and Amazon with HBO, and a 30-day trial of Hulu going right now, so I has options. ;)

I know I didn't have to pay for it (virtually rent it) so you should be covered with the above.

Oh! And I love Hell on Wheels, just finished watching it the second time through about a month or two ago. So many great characters.
I edited the above post after digging. My wife even enjoyed "HoW", likely due to the well-developed characters and some of the strong female leads. I should rewatch it soon.

Back