Westinghouse Micarta, Ivorite, other vintage phenolics, etc.

You must have bought it from another supplier. I've never labeled micarta with Westinghouse on the label. I will not add the name unless I can prove the origin.

I love some of the pieces shown in this thread. Especially the very coarse natural canvas micarta.

Chuck

Apologies Chuck, must have been Culpepper. I know I bought some thunderstorm kevlar from you guys though.!

Does anyone know who laid up the barbed wire stuff? I think Texas Knife Supply had it and that is where I bought a few pieces. Should have bought it all!!!!

Yeah I'd like to know as well, I'd love to get some of that stuff.

Old paper micarta.

orig.jpg

This is old, and red, and for sure it was used as an insulator. But I don't know what it is for certain. The swirl marks are surface scratches, and it has been sun tanned for several years now.

micarta_zpsf5mqmg2l.jpg

I've only ever read about the elusive rag Micarta. I know it's very hard to come by.

Apologies Chuck, must have been Culpepper. I know I bought some thunderstorm kevlar from you guys though.!

Correct. I got this from Culpepper at Blade Show 2014. If memory serves, they got it from either an Italian or French retired knife maker who got it from an electrical conductor in the 60's.

* Sorry for the crappy photos

The interior is much lighter. Much like the one Mr. Hanson posted

Hope to be putting it to use soon on a new slip joint

Last edited:
Hi all,
Any thoughts on the old rag micarta? Anyone reproducing it?

Steve
Unicorn fur is easier to find.

Years ago I asked Norplex if they would make another batch of rag micarta. They told me if I ordered a huge quantity (I think it was 100,000 pounds) they would consider making the material. That quantity of micarta would be a 10.5 foot cube! :eek:

Chuck

Years ago I asked Norplex if they would make another batch of rag micarta. They told me if I ordered a huge quantity (I think it was 100,000 pounds) they would consider making the material. That quantity of micarta would be a 10.5 foot cube! :eek:

Chuck

Well...........when will it be ready?

Chuck

Well...........when will it be ready?

^This. : )

Back