1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Westinghouse Micarta, Ivorite, other vintage phenolics, etc.

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by javand, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    White paper micarta from the Dozier shop circa 2002.
    Photo taken last year or so...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  2. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    small update
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

guys what do you think ;)

naturalist and Don Hanson III like this.
  3. GigOne

GigOne

Nov 27, 1999
    One (of a couple) knives with Rag Micarta. The history behind it is amazing.

This is a Kit Carson subhilt. Duh. lol Just that you don't see these (Carson subhilts) very often.

Kit told me this was subhilt was a "one-off, special order." Kit also told me he made very few knives with Rag Micarta. One, the old stuff was near impossible to find. Two, it was a PITA to work. He said this particular Rag Micarta came out of a science lab in a high school.

quinnjoblow likes this.
  4. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    pics not showing gigone

5. mnavarro

mnavarro

Nov 21, 2013
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I made a few out of some butterscotch vintage I do not know for certain if its Westinghouse but it is very nice.

Attached Files:

olymon likes this.
  6. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    [​IMG]
    the next ball but a little bigger .... 24cm (9,5 inch) ;) I am lucky guy :thumbsup:

BenR.T. likes this.
  7. Hengelo_77

Mar 2, 2006
    Big ball better! Yeah:p

8. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    [​IMG]

Not Rag :( but old butterscotch phenolic:)

BenR.T. and naturalist like this.
  9. Toni Oostendorp

Toni Oostendorp

Sep 3, 2004
    I have a few blocks of old industrial micarta. Smells terrible wenn worked on, but it is nice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    Don't know if I posted any of these here, my old photobucket images are gone. This is Oldass micarta from John Lloyd.

ancientmicarta3.jpg oam3.jpg

11. Don Hanson III

Don Hanson III KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 3, 2002
    And some Rag from Javan,

rag1.jpg

12. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    What was the original use for the rag micarta ball?

13. chumaman

chumaman

Nov 13, 2012
    I really did try to explore but without success :(

14. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Thanks for trying and responding :)

15. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Westinghouse micarta, from Nathan about 2 1/2 yrs ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Memcdowe

Memcdowe KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 30, 2015
    Scored a nice 6” rag micarta ball....but don’t have the tools or expertise to process!

Attached Files:

17. Hengelo_77

Mar 2, 2006
    nice ball!

18. TacoTime

TacoTime KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 13, 2017
    Came across a nice surplus of vintage Micarta. Will post pics up soon.

I will say this. 3 sheets of this stuff was HEAVY.

19. javand

javand

Oct 17, 2010
    This thread refuses to die lol.

I couldn't even begin to post photos of all the stuff I've managed to find since I started it back in the day, and got obsessed with this old material. It's seemingly a never ending quest.

Here's a customer photo of one I took to Blade this year (the knife on the right obviously), in ultra-rare, black rag micarta. Antique Rust Blued Vintage (Hanson's) W2 blade and spring, with anodized Ti liners, shadow bushing, and domed pins, pattern is Evan Niccolaides' Longhorn Jack (thanks bro!): streaks are just oil on the blade.[​IMG]

Josh Rider likes this.
  20. Don Hanson III

Oct 3, 2002
    Great looking knife, Javan! Oldass Rag with Oldass W2, what's not to like? :D

javand likes this.