Westinghouse Micarta, Ivorite, other vintage phenolics, etc.

Murph, it looks very G10-ish, great lookin' material!
Yessir,it is a glass based phenolic which is made with old recipe resins which are non-photo stable. I have a few pieces in different thicknesses which have been exposed to sunlight for various periods of time. After about four hours of direct sunlight, it turns to kind of a taupe color. As time and exposure continues it turns to an amberish Brown.

Awesome stuff Don!

I scored some very interesting old stock Catalin from Germany, I'll post pics when it arrives.
Hey man, I just came across to you and it seems that you are into collecting materials. Get a hold of me so we can bullshit, trade, help each out. I appreciate the guys like yourself

This is some phenolic I had left over from aircraft work in the 70's. We used it for tooling. Made a couple of scales for this blade with black liners. Thinking it was nylon, but not sure, it's .26" & pretty dark, but lighter color once it's cut & shaped. This is 320 sanded with wd40 to see a bit of color. Nice stuff to work with but tough...
qipYxwo.jpg

A couple of pieces of Westinghouse Ivorite (Antique a Ivory Micarta) cut from a board I recently acquired. This came indirectly from the shop of a deceased make who had originally purchased from K&G sometime in the 80s. A few of the pieces I purchased still have the old K&G labels on them. When I inquired and sent pics to K&G, they confirmed that it was purchased from them “30+ years ago” While they were still located in Texas.

for some reason, pics aren’t attaching. I’ll work on it and see what I can do.

Back