Wet sheath warning

I have several of my Hortons in Kolbelson leather lined sheaths which I love. I did however learn a hard lesson a couple weeks ago. While out in the field we got absolutely dumped on by a huge thunderstorm. Well, when I got home I spread out all of wet gear so that it wouldn't mildew. I didn't remember to pull my Horton from it's leather home. When I did pull it out a week or so later it was suffering from some serious rust, luckily it is powder coated and the rust was restrained to the edge which I have managed to clean up relatively well with my strop.

Moral of the story is, if you have a great Kibelson sheath don't leave your pig sticker in it wet.

I hate rust.
Good that the knife is powder coated.
I think chickenplucker has a similar story.

A2 is a fantastic steel, but it does need to be taken care of,,, oil, oil and oil,,,, amen !

Happened to one of my neckers. Cut open a water bottle, didn't dry it off. Rusted over night,,,:grumpy:

Not as bad as some of the bussekins though. I used to have a rat hunter, that rusted just from carrying it in a belt sheath,,, :eek:

Usually lessons are learned the hard way. Good thing yours cleaned up well. My blood edc sat in the Jeep for about three months under the floor mat where I could not find it. Probably was rained on a dozen times. Long story short it was orange when I found it. Not orange like thetret's Hortons. Rusty orange. I cleaned it and it looks fine now. I think it is some voodoo shit that J does because this one was not powder coated.

Back