Whacha Been Up To......

Thank you. Just have the Craftool edgers #2-5. But have been experimenting lately between my "too round", and "too square" edges. And finishing off with the trusty dowel.

206zvyg.jpg

But just out of the mailbox today is this little set of Dremel burnishers. The couple of scrap pieces I've played with so far, tell me that it'll be super easy to burn the edges with these. Time to pull the big bag-o-scrap.

103j5ag.jpg

Thanks for posting those additional pics! That little sheath looked very similar to a design I did a couple of times 20 years ago. Kinda sparked my interest. I have to agree with my friend Eaglestroker, those edges absolutely ooze quality. Use Wyo Quick Slik, paraffin or a glycerin saddle soap bar when power rubbing to keep the edges from burning.

What I finished up yesterday.

pGyheBP.jpg

SXcxKv7.jpg

This one went to Norway:

VI519q6.jpg

PSsMPvu.jpg

Some close ups:

SHzTNj9.jpg

aQQ5NPA.jpg

SM3EHg2.jpg

Here's what the drawing turned into from my earlier post. I just shipped it out today, and based off the pictures I sent the customer he was very happy which is always great to hear.
IMG_5886.JPG IMG_5887.JPG

And I liked the design so much I even made one for me. I didn't take any photos after I finished it but here it is with a lil wear.
IMG_5901.JPG IMG_5902.JPG
bflying bflying those edges are something to look up to! Very nicely done on all things in your above post.

Here's what the drawing turned into from my earlier post. I just shipped it out today, and based off the pictures I sent the customer he was very happy which is always great to hear.
View attachment 1111626 View attachment 1111627

And I liked the design so much I even made one for me. I didn't take any photos after I finished it but here it is with a lil wear.
View attachment 1111628 View attachment 1111630
bflying bflying those edges are something to look up to! Very nicely done on all things in your above post.

Nice I like the design concept. I made something similar a while back for a customer that wanted to carry his Leatherman behind his back.

ty_higg ty_higg Thank you much.

Bflying, I've been wondering about those.
Please share your findings/results

So far, have not been able to get any desirable results with the Dremel bits. With the Pry Mini slip sheath above, the corner was capped with the a #2 edger, then slicked first with water to drop the nap. Ending with slicking with Super Shene (or was it Satin Shene?) on the wide end of the dowel. Shooting for a nice shallow arch.

When I am working the crap out of an edge, I always think that if only I had something to speed the contact, it may take less effort. Key ingredients, pressure and friction. But there are two issues with these Dremel bits. There is a line between faster, and too fast. My Dremel can go slow, but bogs with contact. Too fast, and it burns. Second is pressure. Cannot add the same level of pressure at a slow enough speed, without bogging the little motor. So in my short eval, they may not be used much. Better to stick with hand work, or go for a dedicated burnisher with a much larger, variable speed motor.

Bflying, you could try chucking those bits up in a drill press or electric drill. slower speed and more torque. rtmind/randy

Thanks for posting those additional pics! That little sheath looked very similar to a design I did a couple of times 20 years ago. Kinda sparked my interest. I have to agree with my friend Eaglestroker, those edges absolutely ooze quality. Use Wyo Quick Slik, paraffin or a glycerin saddle soap bar when power rubbing to keep the edges from burning.

What I finished up yesterday.

pGyheBP.jpg

SXcxKv7.jpg

This one went to Norway:

VI519q6.jpg

PSsMPvu.jpg

Some close ups:

SHzTNj9.jpg

aQQ5NPA.jpg

SM3EHg2.jpg

Thank you for the compliments. And keep the suggestions and work product coming. Truly inspiring work work you share. Will pick up some Quik Slik and Parafin. I have some basic Fiebings saddle soap, but don't know if it's glycerin based. So far my edges that I like best were done after application(s) of Super Shene or Satin Shene. Though on hand I also have Gum Tragacanth, Tan-Kote, Edge-Kote Neatsfoot Oil, Tokonole, and Neat-Lac. As well as a number of Tandy's All-In-One's. But they are a different animal to work with altogether. Also need to pick up some Bag-Kote to try out your finish and shading technique.

Bflying, you could try chucking those bits up in a drill press or electric drill. slower speed and more torque. rtmind/randy

That was going to be my next try. My first thought is my bench press. Though that press is only variable down to about 650 rpm. Last week, I also purchased the turned dowel used on Tandy's bench top burnisher. Wanting it specifically for my press. But my first attempts for a chuckable stem for it, have been a "bit" less than brilliant. The closest bolt I could find is a 3/8. But the inability to precisely lock the bolt precisely on axis, combined with the little bit of slop my "chepper" Delta press already has, brings a significant unbalanced wobble. So the hunt for a better stem for that part continues.

2ihwa4w.jpg

After using up a Dremel I got a Foredom.
It is less rpm but stronger.
They may work good with one of those

Thank you for the compliments. And keep the suggestions and work product coming. Truly inspiring work work you share. Will pick up some Quik Slik and Parafin. I have some basic Fiebings saddle soap, but don't know if it's glycerin based. So far my edges that I like best were done after application(s) of Super Shene or Satin Shene. Though on hand I also have Gum Tragacanth, Tan-Kote, Edge-Kote Neatsfoot Oil, Tokonole, and Neat-Lac. As well as a number of Tandy's All-In-One's. But they are a different animal to work with altogether. Also need to pick up some Bag-Kote to try out your finish and shading technique.

The saddle soap is the bar kind, Looks like a translucent, amber colored bar of soap.

Top of the line. They had one of these set up, to play with next to my Cobra 4 when we went and picked it up a few months ago. Almost worked, it almost went in the back of the truck with the big Cobra 4 but we had to buy a new bull so all the cash was tied up. Variable speed motor, sanding and power rubbing all in one, on a work stand so it doesn't take up much space. Anyone wanna buy my lathe? Pick up only. Kidding, but these guys are only a few minutes from my little brothers so next time down visiting this is coming home with us.

https://www.leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-mp-burnisher/

The saddle soap is the bar kind, Looks like a translucent, amber colored bar of soap.

Top of the line. They had one of these set up, to play with next to my Cobra 4 when we went and picked it up a few months ago. Almost worked, it almost went in the back of the truck with the big Cobra 4 but we had to buy a new bull so all the cash was tied up. Variable speed motor, sanding and power rubbing all in one, on a work stand so it doesn't take up much space. Anyone wanna buy my lathe? Pick up only. Kidding, but these guys are only a few minutes from my little brothers so next time down visiting this is coming home with us.

https://www.leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-mp-burnisher/

That machine looks awesome. Tandy's is just a bit cheaper, but usually get what you pay for. Usually by the time I get finished experimenting with cheaper alternatives for something, I've probably spent more than the right product would have been in the first place. But life is a journey, right? :D

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-pro-burnishing-machine

That machine looks awesome. Tandy's is just a bit cheaper, but usually get what you pay for. Usually by the time I get finished experimenting with cheaper alternatives for something, I've probably spent more than the right product would have been in the first place. But life is a journey, right? :D

I've got one of the Cobra burnishers. It's a dream, and really upped my game once I got comfortable using it.

Couple I finished off yesterday:
View attachment 1114182 View attachment 1114183
View attachment 1114185 View attachment 1114191 View attachment 1114192
Finishing this one up, still need to add keeper strap. I think I’m going with a darker leather for strap.

That looks great. Lots of leather in that stack!

Here's a copuple few things we did this past few days:

A friend's birthday so we made her this notebook cover. Nichole did the tooling and the stitching. All I did was the cutting out.

q9m4MUF.jpg

yp67Q5I.jpg

wtZkHDY.jpg

Lilly needed a new collar. We're dog sitting her for a few days. Nichole whipped this one out.

fhKVPaa.jpg

So she made another for the farriers assistant.

b3HL3SM.jpg

A few catch ups on sheaths. This one had their family brand.

jsJ281I.jpg

EJ7LddX.jpg

vwce8lh.jpg

And Cara our friend and neighbor needed a couple of new sheaths for two of her knives.

gmnOZJH.jpg

H0lN6fv.jpg

ES76BxU.jpg

Couple I finished off yesterday:

That looks great. Lots of leather in that stack!

Here's a copuple few things we did this past few days:

A friend's birthday so we made her this notebook cover. Nichole did the tooling and the stitching. All I did was the cutting out.

q9m4MUF.jpg

yp67Q5I.jpg

wtZkHDY.jpg

Lilly needed a new collar. We're dog sitting her for a few days. Nichole whipped this one out.

fhKVPaa.jpg

So she made another for the farriers assistant.

b3HL3SM.jpg

A few catch ups on sheaths. This one had their family brand.

jsJ281I.jpg

EJ7LddX.jpg

vwce8lh.jpg

And Cara our friend and neighbor needed a couple of new sheaths for two of her knives.

gmnOZJH.jpg

H0lN6fv.jpg

ES76BxU.jpg

Thank you, yeah I tend to pile the leather lol :)

Wow !!!!!!! All excellent work ! That notebook is beautiful !! as are all the other pieces.

Thank you, yeah I tend to pile the leather lol :)

Wow !!!!!!! All excellent work ! That notebook is beautiful !! as are all the other pieces.

Thanks! Working on two pairs of leggings right now and then back to knives.

Thanks! Working on two pairs of leggings right now and then back to knives.

Currently I’m only doing knife sheaths, occasional odd project. But those are always small stuff. I’m still hand stitching, I’m considering a cobra machine in a year ish time. Hopefully the cobra will allow me to branch out to other stuff. Also hopefully it will speed things up :) just don’t know how thick they’ll sew 3/4 1” ?

Dave, I like that notebook cover. Nothing new to members on this forum, but years ago I noted I was going thru those plastic checkbook holders at about one per year. I had bought a small duffle type bag from a woman in Maine, Adler Stream Canvas, that I could pack in my regular bag, then use to bring home stuff I had acquired on the trip. I noticed she had leather checkbook covers, so I got one. Very simple, dark green pebbled leather, 7 1/4 by 6 1/4 inches with two brown strips sewn in side to make pockets, I think I paid $13 for it. I just noticed I had written inside "April 2009" so 10 years old and still going strong. I also have a smaller notebook leather carrier, 7 1/4 by 5 1/2 inches that holds one of those small ringed note pads, that I have had since I left Fort Devens, MA in July 1985, probably bought in 1984. I think it must have been a kit, but the man who made it SGM Chuck Henderson, engraved "10th SFGA" on the back and a "Beret & Dagger" and my initials on the front. I carry it daily to write down notes or I know I will forget them, and it is also still going strong, and I think I only once put some conditioner on it. Same for a good leather belt that has been worn daily since some time in 2009, or at least I have a photo of me wearing it in Finland in 2009. Once a year I put some conditioner on it, as I was told by the man who made the belt. Buy quality items, in this case leather and take reasonable care of it and it will last a LONG time. John

Back