1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Whacha Been Up To......

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Sep 8, 2018.

1. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    That’s really cool !!!!! I like it !!

bflying likes this.
  2. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Thank you, some how all my sheaths end up thick lol.

3. ANovinc

ANovinc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2016
    That's darn nice looking~! I've taken to doing stacked sheaths lately, myself. I particularly like when the belt loop is part of the stack, so that there's no stitching inside that could rub the knife. I do struggle with keeping the "stacks" square and level at the top though--and getting it burnished nice in that area is another problem all unto itself.

duramax likes this.
  4. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Nice job. I recently did a cover for our garage door opener, which no longer had a hanger. It didn't turn out near as nice your key fob wrap.

5. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Thank you.

6. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    The specs on the Cobra 4 say it will sew up to 7/8". I can tell ya its a great machine. The motor is adjustable as far as speed goes so you can slow it down or like right now mine is set on hyperspace. Last thing I was sewing was a set of 8 ft reins for myself. So that is a lot of sewing. 8 ft down, 8 ft back and two reins so times two. Using the roller guide its really easy to maintain control even when you're jumping to warp drive. Really only took a couple of minutes to do each rein. One thing I have learned sewing reins is that a full bobbin will get ya into the last 18 inches of the second rein. I normally run the motor on 12 or 15 for everday stuff. For the reins its set at 41. Another nice feature is that to some extent ya have some speed control with the pedal, kinda like your car. A little bit of pedal and you're going slow, all the pedal and you're going as fast as the motor is set.
    Ok that is cool!
    Thanks John. Yeah I agree quality lasts for sure. Don't know if I ever told ya but years ago (kinda at the start of this sandbox deal) I had a former SF officer contact me and asked me to build 5 or 6 legal size notebook covers with the SF emblem tooled on the front, the crossed arrows, dagger and De Opresso Liber emblem. He kept one and gave the others to guys that will still serving. Had the coolest pic of a guy with his face all blacked/blurred out shaking hands with an Iraqi general. Our guy was holding his notebook cover I had made. Unfortunately that pic was on a computer that died many years ago so I don't have it any more. Thanks again for your service

duramax and bflying like this.
  7. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    Thank you. A bit rough, but at least it's a baby step up from duct tape.

8. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Roughout notebook cover for our ranching partner's birthday, it has his brand on it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couple of oak carved sheaths. I'll be starting in on a WIP on these two guys and how to I do oak carving probably tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ty_higg, bflying, Ebbtide and 2 others like this.
  9. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    Real nice (as always!) Dave.

10. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Thanks Amy!

11. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    And did one more FOB wrap, this one's all mine. But looks a bit like a freaky robot head.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    I really like that and the other ya did too. You are right does kinda look like a robot head.

bflying likes this.
  13. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Branded last weekend. Just a few pics of stuff being used that you've probably already seen new here in these pages.

Belt and chaps:

[​IMG]

My own personal EDC:

[​IMG]

Beltless sheath and Gordo knife, water buffalo armitas style chaps:

[​IMG]

Cara telling Nichole how she wants a holster for the syringes:

[​IMG]

All you movie buffs: "one for the each of ya".

[​IMG]

Reins, headstall and curbstrap:

[​IMG]

Carved belt, horizontal sheath and Coyote knife and custom chinks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doctoring some ringworm:

[​IMG]

Sheath and water buffalo belt:

[​IMG]

Reins, spurstraps, Buckaroo knife pouch, basket stamped tapered belt and roughout holster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some old guy at the end of the day waiting for the neighbor to get his trailer backed up to the chute so we can load his strays. Reins, spurstraps belt and holster.

[​IMG]

Leggings and belt:

[​IMG]

Branding the new yearling bull. Leggings and spurstraps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ethan is an Air Force officer and he'll be transferring back east soon. Last time he'll be able to ride with us. He wanted some pics in the flowers. Me and George photobombing him:

[​IMG]

Brother Bill bout got the steaks done:

[​IMG]

And the lobster too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ty_higg likes this.
  14. WEB2

WEB2

Oct 13, 2004
    "One for each of ya" - tombstone! (What'd i win? Lol)
    Some nice looking leather craft out there!

15. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Yep! Dinner at our next branding. Whadya doing Julyish?

16. WEB2

WEB2

Oct 13, 2004
    Waitin for the next grandkid! Maybe the next time!

17. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Ya bet! congrats!

18. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    Doh! Did it again for my daughter's new car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ty_higg and duramax like this.
  19. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Wow you are getting that down! Are ya sanding the edges after sewing?

20. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    Thank you. Yes, I've got a couple of belt Sanders with different grits. After sewing, I cut it closer to where I may want it, then take it in the rest of the way with the belts. But I'm always concerned with making a little bump right at the end, and grinding it in to a thread. I've done that in the past, so I probably leave a little too much edge.

I've also found it a bit difficult to get these edges as even after burnishing because the leather I've been using is so thin. This stuff was marked as a 1-2 oz belly. I think I just use my regular heavy hand with the dowel and end up leaving it a little bumpy. Ah well, a hobby is really just a very slow education, right? :D

This key/fob/remote was a little different because there were so many features that needed to be exposed, so I actually just glued/sewed it right in. Where previous fobs were designed to allow removal. The front is ignition key, and the back stores a removable emergency door key. With my usual process for making something like a sheath, I'd usually glue and sand it down to final dimensions before even drilling the holes. That way I'd have a straight edge to run my compass or groover for a straighter line. But these I left a big jagged edge glued up, and just used an awl to punch the holes. This left me with a bit crazier stitching pattern, especially on the back side.