Whacha Been Up To......

Hadn't done much leather work lately. Been tied up with a big knife batch that I'll be starting sheaths for soon. Whipped out a few projects last couple of evenings.

qLmdbvr.jpg

Tw Rangeflap holsters. The roughout one was kinda a funny deal. The smooth out was the order but I screwed up the stitching grooves and the channel for the tooling. Literally tossed it on my use for welts stack. My compadre was in the shop and he says I'll take it. I says whadya mean. He says turn it inside out I'm a lefty. Well duh. So I built both at the same time.

haHsgpa.jpg

V8D3NiL.jpg

This belt if for a BF member.

cOUl70g.jpg

iktjZzV.jpg

Got a flower carved one lined and ready to he stitched.

EBpanuJ.jpg

And I showed Nichole how to make her first martingale/breast collar. We made this for in stock on the website for our Memorial Day weekend sale.

qsrm7Hc.jpg

hInOH8t.jpg

lyjAFDr.jpg

Nichole's second Martingale/Breast Collar. This one is lined in water buffalo and has water buffalo straps.

1ThymfO.jpg

7O05Nql.jpg

yiVeNL7.jpg

Made the reins, headstall and curb strap as well.

9yP3YzQ.jpg

Tyler our friend pictured here, had bought a new pair of boots. They were too small for him so he traded the boots, (fit me perfect), for the martingale. It was his idea to use the water buffalo for the lining and I think he's onto something. I really like how it looks. Whadya think?

Last edited:
I’ve been super busy with work recently and I haven’t had much time to do any leatherwork. But I offered my leatherwork in a giveaway in the JK Handmade knives sub-forum for a free sheath to the winner. The guy who won wanted a pocket sheath with a clip so here’s what I came up with. I used a 3-4 oz leather with a 1oz liner since I didn’t have any 5-7 ounce leather on hand. It was Only my third time lining a project but it came out good with only the first attempt of the top side needing to be redone.

I will definitely be ordering more of the Ulti Clips though. The retention and simple mechanism is awesome.
20258984-4AE0-4A4C-80DF-710010C77F63.jpeg F30F0B69-4BB9-4ECC-A2F8-D3069F38D989.jpeg B16EE5CA-59C3-481D-9E98-1587620A1645.jpeg

I’ve been super busy with work recently and I haven’t had much time to do any leatherwork. But I offered my leatherwork in a giveaway in the JK Handmade knives sub-forum for a free sheath to the winner. The guy who won wanted a pocket sheath with a clip so here’s what I came up with. I used a 3-4 oz leather with a 1oz liner since I didn’t have any 5-7 ounce leather on hand. It was Only my third time lining a project but it came out good with only the first attempt of the top side needing to be redone.

I will definitely be ordering more of the Ulti Clips though. The retention and simple mechanism is awesome.
View attachment 1138086 View attachment 1138087 View attachment 1138088

Very cool! that really looks great. You have developed a personal style and all should be trying to do so. I could look at that sheath and know you made it, it is distinctly your work.

Thank you! I have been trying hard to develop my style with sheaths and I’m still trying to do it with the wallets I make but that seems to be more difficult.

Very cool! that really looks great. You have developed a personal style and all should be trying to do so. I could look at that sheath and know you made it, it is distinctly your work.

Yes. I draw the outline of each blade on the backside of the leather. Then follow that around with my dividers at 1/2 ". No pattern just each blade plus 1/2". Sticking groover is set at 1/4 inch. This gives a nice tight fit.

Fun with scraps...
114DCF0C-98EF-4CC6-9BDA-D8F88BBC9C411.jpeg

Good practice tooling and especially working with the diamond awl and hand stitching. Used my Craftsman hobby vise with the padded jaws as a stitching pony.
You can see the progression, right to left,
each a little better than the one before.
59A16CC0-C7B5-44FD-AB9E-AB65B5BBE6C61.jpeg

Still have more practicing to do though.

So just made a "slightly" oversized coaster for my end table. So far working great protecting the table from my drinks, and careless knife drops. But looking at it, started thinking it just may be a good knife pic backdrop too.

Whatcha think, shiny side, or rustic side?

14lo7i9.jpg

2zp7gqf.jpg

[QUOTE="

Whatcha think, shiny side, or rustic side?

I like the rustic side!

Me too. My wife likes the pristine smooth side. I like the rough. So I'll probably be doing a lot of flipping, and change it up often. It's got me thinking, I'd now like a set of regular coasters done similar for the coffee table. Maybe 5" rounds?

Last edited:
I
I like the rustic side!

Me too. My wife likes the pristine smooth side. I like the rough. So I'll probably be doing a lot of flipping, and change it up often. It's got me thinking, I'd now like a set of regular coasters done similar for the coffee table. Maybe 5" rounds?[/QUOTE]

That'd look real nice! You're probably more skilled at cutting nice round circles with your knife than I am, but if you're not there's an inexpensive cutting tool that really does the trick with little effort. It only costs about $15 or so, if I correctly recall.

I

Me too. My wife likes the pristine smooth side. I like the rough. So I'll probably be doing a lot of flipping, and change it up often. It's got me thinking, I'd now like a set of regular coasters done similar for the coffee table. Maybe 5" rounds?

That'd look real nice! You're probably more skilled at cutting nice round circles with your knife than I am, but if you're not there's an inexpensive cutting tool that really does the trick with little effort. It only costs about $15 or so, if I correctly recall.

I actually just picked up the smaller Olfa craft circle cutter not too long ago. It works pretty well for small simple jobs within it's limitations. I believe under 6" diameter if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

I actually just picked up the smaller Olfa craft circle cutter not too long ago. It works pretty well for small simple jobs within it's limitations. I believe under 6" diameter if I recall correctly.[/QUOTE]

On the coasters, at least for the grain side use Bee Natural's Sheridan Resist and Finish. It does the best job of warding off marks from glasses and moisture etc of any finish we've used.

I actually just picked up the smaller Olfa craft circle cutter not too long ago. It works pretty well for small simple jobs within it's limitations. I believe under 6" diameter if I recall correctly.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's what I have, as well. I used it to make some coasters myself. Did a great job of cutting through the leather.

I actually just picked up the smaller Olfa craft circle cutter not too long ago. It works pretty well for small simple jobs within it's limitations. I believe under 6" diameter if I recall correctly.

On the coasters, at least for the grain side use Bee Natural's Sheridan Resist and Finish. It does the best job of warding off marks from glasses and moisture etc of any finish we've used.

Sweet, I'll try it. Thank you.

Sweet, I'll try it. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah worth hunting it down. We use leather coasters on a dialy basis and have for 15 years or so. This stuff worth getting for this application.

Back