1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 33 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Boker Urban Trapper 732 , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Whacha Been Up To......

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Hadn't done much leather work lately. Been tied up with a big knife batch that I'll be starting sheaths for soon. Whipped out a few projects last couple of evenings.

[​IMG]

Tw Rangeflap holsters. The roughout one was kinda a funny deal. The smooth out was the order but I screwed up the stitching grooves and the channel for the tooling. Literally tossed it on my use for welts stack. My compadre was in the shop and he says I'll take it. I says whadya mean. He says turn it inside out I'm a lefty. Well duh. So I built both at the same time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This belt if for a BF member.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a flower carved one lined and ready to he stitched.

[​IMG]

And I showed Nichole how to make her first martingale/breast collar. We made this for in stock on the website for our Memorial Day weekend sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Nichole's second Martingale/Breast Collar. This one is lined in water buffalo and has water buffalo straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made the reins, headstall and curb strap as well.

[​IMG]

Tyler our friend pictured here, had bought a new pair of boots. They were too small for him so he traded the boots, (fit me perfect), for the martingale. It was his idea to use the water buffalo for the lining and I think he's onto something. I really like how it looks. Whadya think?

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    bflying, ty_higg, WEB2 and 2 others like this.
  3. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    I’ve been super busy with work recently and I haven’t had much time to do any leatherwork. But I offered my leatherwork in a giveaway in the JK Handmade knives sub-forum for a free sheath to the winner. The guy who won wanted a pocket sheath with a clip so here’s what I came up with. I used a 3-4 oz leather with a 1oz liner since I didn’t have any 5-7 ounce leather on hand. It was Only my third time lining a project but it came out good with only the first attempt of the top side needing to be redone.

I will definitely be ordering more of the Ulti Clips though. The retention and simple mechanism is awesome.
    20258984-4AE0-4A4C-80DF-710010C77F63.jpeg F30F0B69-4BB9-4ECC-A2F8-D3069F38D989.jpeg B16EE5CA-59C3-481D-9E98-1587620A1645.jpeg

Hengelo_77 and bflying like this.
  4. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Very cool! that really looks great. You have developed a personal style and all should be trying to do so. I could look at that sheath and know you made it, it is distinctly your work.

5. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    Thank you! I have been trying hard to develop my style with sheaths and I’m still trying to do it with the wallets I make but that seems to be more difficult.

Horsewright likes this.
  6. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Slip sheaths lately, for all the kitchen and steak knives in this batch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Roughout ones too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bflying and ty_higg like this.
  7. J. Keeton

J. Keeton Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Do your slip sheaths provide any retention for kitchen knives? I would imagine you'd want a little! Great looking products as always!

8. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Yes. I draw the outline of each blade on the backside of the leather. Then follow that around with my dividers at 1/2 ". No pattern just each blade plus 1/2". Sticking groover is set at 1/4 inch. This gives a nice tight fit.

bflying and J. Keeton like this.
  9. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Fun with scraps...
    [​IMG]
    Good practice tooling and especially working with the diamond awl and hand stitching. Used my Craftsman hobby vise with the padded jaws as a stitching pony.
    You can see the progression, right to left,
    each a little better than the one before.
    [​IMG]
    Still have more practicing to do though.

10. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    So just made a "slightly" oversized coaster for my end table. So far working great protecting the table from my drinks, and careless knife drops. But looking at it, started thinking it just may be a good knife pic backdrop too.

Whatcha think, shiny side, or rustic side?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hengelo_77 likes this.
  11. ANovinc

ANovinc Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 21, 2016
    [QUOTE="

Whatcha think, shiny side, or rustic side?
    [/QUOTE]

I like the rustic side!

bflying likes this.
  12. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    Me too. My wife likes the pristine smooth side. I like the rough. So I'll probably be doing a lot of flipping, and change it up often. It's got me thinking, I'd now like a set of regular coasters done similar for the coffee table. Maybe 5" rounds?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    ANovinc likes this.
  13. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    I
    Me too. My wife likes the pristine smooth side. I like the rough. So I'll probably be doing a lot of flipping, and change it up often. It's got me thinking, I'd now like a set of regular coasters done similar for the coffee table. Maybe 5" rounds?[/QUOTE]

That'd look real nice! You're probably more skilled at cutting nice round circles with your knife than I am, but if you're not there's an inexpensive cutting tool that really does the trick with little effort. It only costs about $15 or so, if I correctly recall.

14. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    I actually just picked up the smaller Olfa craft circle cutter not too long ago. It works pretty well for small simple jobs within it's limitations. I believe under 6" diameter if I recall correctly.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    ANovinc likes this.
  15. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    I actually just picked up the smaller Olfa craft circle cutter not too long ago. It works pretty well for small simple jobs within it's limitations. I believe under 6" diameter if I recall correctly.[/QUOTE]

On the coasters, at least for the grain side use Bee Natural's Sheridan Resist and Finish. It does the best job of warding off marks from glasses and moisture etc of any finish we've used.

bflying likes this.
  16. ANovinc

Sep 21, 2016
    I actually just picked up the smaller Olfa craft circle cutter not too long ago. It works pretty well for small simple jobs within it's limitations. I believe under 6" diameter if I recall correctly.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that's what I have, as well. I used it to make some coasters myself. Did a great job of cutting through the leather.

bflying likes this.
  17. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    Sweet, I'll try it. Thank you.

18. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Few things shipped out yesterday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ebbtide, ty_higg and bflying like this.
  19. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Sweet, I'll try it. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Yeah worth hunting it down. We use leather coasters on a dialy basis and have for 15 years or so. This stuff worth getting for this application.

bflying likes this.
  20. bflying

Mar 4, 2014
    Wow again!

Horsewright likes this.