1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Whacha Been Up To......

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Hengelo_77

Hengelo_77 Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 2, 2006
    I like that diamond pattern

Ebbtide likes this.
  2. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    Thanks! I think it is pretty classy.
    Dead simple to do. One line from corner to center on the opposite edge, and then use the other side of the ruler for the rest of the lines.
    Spin the leather and repeat for the other side.

Horsewright and duramax like this.
  3. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Very cool work my friend!

Ebbtide likes this.
  4. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Went to a show last weekend. Instead of being a vendor Nichole competed and did very well, really proud of her. Some shots.

Getting Josie ready:

[​IMG]

Josie is ready to go:

[​IMG]

Nichole is breaking in a new saddle:

[​IMG]

By Freckers in Dillion MT. I have one on order, they'll start it in Apr 20.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our young friend Emma was there too. This was the first time we'd seen her horseback in her new Charmitas we helped her make. I showed her how to adjust the pattern to her size and cut the leg fringe, Nichole did the sewing and Emma did everything else. Water buffalo leather.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice both girls in her Jr Ranch Horse class are wearing Horsewright knives while at the judges meeting:

[​IMG]

Nichole going to her judges meeting in the Novice Doctoring class.

[​IMG]

Nailed it first shot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She took second in this class and second in Novice Ranch Horse but I don't have any pics of that one as I video taped that run. Couple pics of her collecting her loot and a dang nice check though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come back and did some work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    Dave, Please "Translate" that belt buckle in the above photo. Thanks. John

Horsewright likes this.
  6. WEB2

WEB2

Oct 13, 2004
    I'll take a stab at it: rafter four S

Horsewright likes this.
  7. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Brands are a funny thing cause they are described differently in different areas. We will not carve a brand on a project unless we have a picture of it, or a copy of the brand registration or something of that nature. We WILL not work off a verbal description, have learned that the hard way several times. So now must have a picture.

I'd call that a rafter 4 over s connected. it belongs to a local young man. He'd ordered the belt and stopped by to pick it up. Thats the second belt we've done with orange thread and I'm really liking how it looks. Nichole's talking about making some headstalls that way. Anyhoo he picked up his belt took his old one off and switched his buckle right then and there. Grab the camera honey. Our brand (its upside down in this pic because I'm standing on the other side of the calf, so it would be read with the calf on his feet) is reverse D N connected over quarter circle.

[​IMG]

8. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    Here’s my most recent wallet and pocket organizer I made for a customer. It was sent off early this week, and the pocket organizer was for a knife and pen.
    7DF43032-8669-4D49-A66E-9A9B8D5420ED.jpeg BC97794A-1112-42B7-9347-0F3485E8CED6.jpeg 668C6809-5A0D-4792-A976-6309751CDDB5.jpeg
    And here is a failed prototype that I didn’t take finished pictures of it at least I can’t seem to find them. But I tried to make an extremely small profile wallet but I went a lil to small and ended up starting to bend my cards while I was testing it.
    0BB54C18-0CEF-44DF-81C9-1E11A9021F99.jpeg EFBC79E9-7528-4BB1-8693-5F7AC4CA8D90.jpeg

Phill50 and Horsewright like this.
  9. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
    WEB2 & Dave, Thanks! John

Horsewright likes this.
  10. kenjal

kenjal

Mar 17, 2013
    Awesome work guys!

Horsewright likes this.
  11. WEB2

WEB2

Oct 13, 2004
    Cool stuff!

Dave, i would have guessed rockin DN connected. But the quarter circle is not connected to the ND.

12. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    That one really looks nice, very finished. How bout cutting your V's for the finger grabbing of the card with a punch, might be more uniform and less problems with over cutting. I do this at the top of my rifle scabbards where the leather folds. Use to be a v cut and I'd have problems with over cutting or edging or what ever. Wasn't as clean as good be. Then went to punching that junction with a 1" half round. Now very uniform, can edge and no over cutting. Might be worth a try.

Ya bet John!

Yeah I would of called it a rocker too. But our brand registration from the State calls it a quarter circle. I asked our local brand inspector about it once. He's a friend and we use to work graveyards together in a prior gig. Anyhoo, he said the difference here in Calif is that a rocker has to come up further on the sides of the brand, a true half circle. So we're a quarter circle. The brand book here in Calif, back when they were printed, was about 3.5" thick. Lots of brands.

13. Ebbtide

Ebbtide

Aug 20, 1999
    The easiest way to avoid over cuts is to cut out from the corner.
    If, for some reason, you can't cut out from the corner, cut to within 1/8" of the corner and then free hand the other 1/8" cutting from the corner out to your cut line.
    Easier to do than to type :)

Or use a punch as Dave suggests :D

14. ty_higg

ty_higg KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 16, 2011
    My latest sheath.
    7EC7C903-3600-43E5-B829-21453EDFD35F.jpeg

@Horsewright I was trying something new on that one and the edge beveler slipped once I got in the V. I have been thinking about using a punch for the initial cut though to save some time. The pockets usually take a good bit of my cutting time to get a good clean V and that would speed it up significantly.

Hengelo_77 and Horsewright like this.
  15. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    When I first started doing that on scabbards I'd have the problem with the edger too. I went to a 1" half round and its big enough I can edge that with my turn back edger.

ty_higg likes this.
  16. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Look at English Spear Point punches or just Spear Point. Weaver makes really good ones and Osborne makes ok ones. Practice with em first as there is a learning curve on cutting evenly with them.

ty_higg likes this.
  17. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011

Really like that sheath btw. Made my first scout sheath the other day.

18. ty_higg

Dec 16, 2011
    I’ll give those a look. Thank you the belt loop position was a lil tricky to get it to sit right. But I’m happy with how it turned out for the first one like that.

19. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Lefthand roughout Loop holster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WEB2 and ty_higg like this.
  20. sheathmaker

sheathmaker Custom Leather Sheaths Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 18, 2005
    100_2805.jpeg Speaking of brands, here's a photo of my brand first registered in Dona Anna County, New Mexico in 1956. It hasn't been on any livestock in quite a few years now, but it is my leather work logo now. The photo is a beautiful piece my Daughter-in-law made for me to use on my tables at shows
    It reads left to right, top to bottom Quarter circle P Lazy L.

Paul