Whacha Been Up To......

Thanks! I think it is pretty classy.
Dead simple to do. One line from corner to center on the opposite edge, and then use the other side of the ruler for the rest of the lines.
Spin the leather and repeat for the other side.

Went to a show last weekend. Instead of being a vendor Nichole competed and did very well, really proud of her. Some shots.

Getting Josie ready:

rE30jWB.jpg

Josie is ready to go:

vSqDnYw.jpg

Nichole is breaking in a new saddle:

Ytx6h4h.jpg

By Freckers in Dillion MT. I have one on order, they'll start it in Apr 20.

Wj1C4uK.jpg

Glue8CM.jpg

Our young friend Emma was there too. This was the first time we'd seen her horseback in her new Charmitas we helped her make. I showed her how to adjust the pattern to her size and cut the leg fringe, Nichole did the sewing and Emma did everything else. Water buffalo leather.

fTHGWm1.jpg

yP5joyQ.jpg

Notice both girls in her Jr Ranch Horse class are wearing Horsewright knives while at the judges meeting:

ymlSkHT.jpg

Nichole going to her judges meeting in the Novice Doctoring class.

QPgConQ.jpg

Nailed it first shot.

HSrFpWD.jpg

AuulYmu.jpg

I92aeJs.jpg

She took second in this class and second in Novice Ranch Horse but I don't have any pics of that one as I video taped that run. Couple pics of her collecting her loot and a dang nice check though:

5kdPgcy.jpg

wOBe1LK.jpg

Come back and did some work:

UZeXD2L.jpg

W5yBqYO.jpg

EL1xzxy.jpg

Brands are a funny thing cause they are described differently in different areas. We will not carve a brand on a project unless we have a picture of it, or a copy of the brand registration or something of that nature. We WILL not work off a verbal description, have learned that the hard way several times. So now must have a picture.

I'd call that a rafter 4 over s connected. it belongs to a local young man. He'd ordered the belt and stopped by to pick it up. Thats the second belt we've done with orange thread and I'm really liking how it looks. Nichole's talking about making some headstalls that way. Anyhoo he picked up his belt took his old one off and switched his buckle right then and there. Grab the camera honey. Our brand (its upside down in this pic because I'm standing on the other side of the calf, so it would be read with the calf on his feet) is reverse D N connected over quarter circle.

xMwqEZo.jpg

Here’s my most recent wallet and pocket organizer I made for a customer. It was sent off early this week, and the pocket organizer was for a knife and pen.
7DF43032-8669-4D49-A66E-9A9B8D5420ED.jpeg BC97794A-1112-42B7-9347-0F3485E8CED6.jpeg 668C6809-5A0D-4792-A976-6309751CDDB5.jpeg
And here is a failed prototype that I didn’t take finished pictures of it at least I can’t seem to find them. But I tried to make an extremely small profile wallet but I went a lil to small and ended up starting to bend my cards while I was testing it.
0BB54C18-0CEF-44DF-81C9-1E11A9021F99.jpeg EFBC79E9-7528-4BB1-8693-5F7AC4CA8D90.jpeg

Cool stuff!

Dave, i would have guessed rockin DN connected. But the quarter circle is not connected to the ND.

Here’s my most recent wallet and pocket organizer I made for a customer. It was sent off early this week, and the pocket organizer was for a knife and pen.
View attachment 1164215 View attachment 1164216 View attachment 1164217
And here is a failed prototype that I didn’t take finished pictures of it at least I can’t seem to find them. But I tried to make an extremely small profile wallet but I went a lil to small and ended up starting to bend my cards while I was testing it.
View attachment 1164218 View attachment 1164219

That one really looks nice, very finished. How bout cutting your V's for the finger grabbing of the card with a punch, might be more uniform and less problems with over cutting. I do this at the top of my rifle scabbards where the leather folds. Use to be a v cut and I'd have problems with over cutting or edging or what ever. Wasn't as clean as good be. Then went to punching that junction with a 1" half round. Now very uniform, can edge and no over cutting. Might be worth a try.

WEB2 & Dave, Thanks! John

Ya bet John!

Cool stuff!

Dave, i would have guessed rockin DN connected. But the quarter circle is not connected to the ND.

Yeah I would of called it a rocker too. But our brand registration from the State calls it a quarter circle. I asked our local brand inspector about it once. He's a friend and we use to work graveyards together in a prior gig. Anyhoo, he said the difference here in Calif is that a rocker has to come up further on the sides of the brand, a true half circle. So we're a quarter circle. The brand book here in Calif, back when they were printed, was about 3.5" thick. Lots of brands.

The easiest way to avoid over cuts is to cut out from the corner.
If, for some reason, you can't cut out from the corner, cut to within 1/8" of the corner and then free hand the other 1/8" cutting from the corner out to your cut line.
Easier to do than to type :)

Or use a punch as Dave suggests :D

My latest sheath.
7EC7C903-3600-43E5-B829-21453EDFD35F.jpeg

Horsewright Horsewright I was trying something new on that one and the edge beveler slipped once I got in the V. I have been thinking about using a punch for the initial cut though to save some time. The pockets usually take a good bit of my cutting time to get a good clean V and that would speed it up significantly.

When I first started doing that on scabbards I'd have the problem with the edger too. I went to a 1" half round and its big enough I can edge that with my turn back edger.

My latest sheath.
View attachment 1167598

Horsewright Horsewright I was trying something new on that one and the edge beveler slipped once I got in the V. I have been thinking about using a punch for the initial cut though to save some time. The pockets usually take a good bit of my cutting time to get a good clean V and that would speed it up significantly.

Look at English Spear Point punches or just Spear Point. Weaver makes really good ones and Osborne makes ok ones. Practice with em first as there is a learning curve on cutting evenly with them.

My latest sheath.
View attachment 1167598

Really like that sheath btw. Made my first scout sheath the other day.

Look at English Spear Point punches or just Spear Point. Weaver makes really good ones and Osborne makes ok ones. Practice with em first as there is a learning curve on cutting evenly with them.

I’ll give those a look. Thank you the belt loop position was a lil tricky to get it to sit right. But I’m happy with how it turned out for the first one like that.

100_2805.jpeg Speaking of brands, here's a photo of my brand first registered in Dona Anna County, New Mexico in 1956. It hasn't been on any livestock in quite a few years now, but it is my leather work logo now. The photo is a beautiful piece my Daughter-in-law made for me to use on my tables at shows
It reads left to right, top to bottom Quarter circle P Lazy L.

Paul

Back