Whacha Been Up To......

I've never added medallions before, and finally figured how to cut a cross strap at the correct angle, this was pretty challenging for me (which I like). The knife's frame style handle isn't epoxied yet.View attachment 1184936

That looks very nice! Interesting almost pine cone pattern with that backgrounder.

Water buffalo overlay still going on strong around here:

rTcYtCu.jpg

giwsdYq.jpg

SBzRghv.jpg

I ended up making this one for myself.
(had to repair a crack in the bolster material, don't trust the material anymore, don't want the knife go to somebody else)
But I'm pretty happy with how the sheath turned out. Looks sleek and good and holds the knife strong enough shake it upside down.

I find sheats for knives this size easier to do then sheats for smaller knives.

IMG-20190827-173915.jpg

IMG-20190827-173921.jpg

IMG-20190827-173936.jpg

IMG-20190827-170444.jpg

(had to repair a crack in the bolster material, don't trust the material anymore, don't want the knife go to somebody else)
But I'm pretty happy with how the sheath turned out. Looks sleek and good and holds the knife strong enough shake it upside down.

IMG-20190827-173915.jpg

IMG-20190827-173921.jpg

IMG-20190827-173936.jpg

IMG-20190827-170444.jpg

Sheath turned out great. Crack in the bolster I'd be proud to use that. Very nice blade.

IMG-20190827-173915.jpg

IMG-20190827-173921.jpg

IMG-20190827-173936.jpg

IMG-20190827-170444.jpg

Dang hate it when something like that happens. Think it maybe got too warm when working it? I don't know that material I've not used it before.

Whipped out this order real quick. The local junior rodeo association called and they needed some year end prizes. Problem was they called Fri afternoon and need eight prizes by Tuesday cause they are gonna take them to be laser etched with their logo for presentation on Sat. Not a lot of time. So we whipped these out. Had the two headstalls already built. Two split ear headstalls (these hold the bit in the horses mouth). They are brown water buffalo lined in brown essex.

KnXY7wn.jpg

Three travel bags. We'd struggled with this pattern some in the past but have worked out the issues. Kinda funny but about everybody we know has one of our rejects including myself. My daughter in law pulled em out of the trash and was handing em out. This is a joint project. I skive all four edges all the way around and set up all the prep. Nichole does the sewing. She has figured out how to get those corners just right and how to keep those dang handles straight which is some of the problems we'd struggled with in the past. So many makers freak out about zippers but really they are very easy.

kWTvPsV.jpg

HSIY9wE.jpg

WdXL8sW.jpg

These are made from a 4/5 oz oiltan thats kinda stiff. We use brown water buff for the handles and the makers mark patch. They have been very good sellers for us at shows. In fact the prize coordinator saw these at the last show we did. She originally wanted eight travel bags but we only had leather for three and not the time to order more. They do take up a pretty big chunk of real estate on a side of leather. Our pattern is basically a rectangle 17"x 18", so a pretty big chunk of leather.

xjQRfU4.jpg

Then we also made up three pairs of spur straps. All brown water buffalo lined with the essex again. Copper buckles and red stitching on this first pair, nickel buckles on the other two.

1SJP4o2.jpg

qeQ9CQa.jpg

jStThOZ.jpg

And the whole shooting match, ready for pick up.

6ZeYQI8.jpg

Course ya can't stop all your regular orders, that has to go on too.

Grey water buffalo belt with black stitching for a detective with our local county SO. He wanted it a little extra heavy to support the weight of his pistol and also 7 holes at 3/4" instead of 5 at 1". I've done this quite a few times for guys that are carrying handguns. Gives em a little more adjustment. Don't know while I haven't done it on my own belts.

8RTZJie.jpg

Little more flamboyant on this one. This one is going to a pretty well know Baja 1000 racer.

EmfOOSA.jpg

Both of these were orders from our last show.

Last edited:
Said I needed to post more often so here goes...
Finished these up over the weekend.
bLdOfa2.jpg

4LvGnDn.jpg

Finally got around to finishing the sheath for the round knife in my last post. I've always carried the welt across the long side on the top and closed it off. Only allowing the knife to be sheathed by rolling it in. This time I improved on the design by adding a welt to the opening, stitched only to the back side. It locks the sheath in place until you release it by separating the mouth slightly with your thumb.
TDO5io1.jpg

zhvFFHB.jpg

LzoDIPg.jpg

I'm really regretting not doing a basketweave or background pattern on the back side. To me it looks annoyingly like a cartoonish grin.
Thanks for looking
Chris

Great work Chris knives and sheaths!! Ah, I see what you are saying about the grin. Ya could of used your makers mark again too.

Dave,
When you do a buffalo overlay on a holster, what thickness leather are you using for the buffalo and veg tan?
Randy

Dave,
When you do a buffalo overlay on a holster, what thickness leather are you using for the buffalo and veg tan?
Randy

I'm using my regular 8/10oz russet Wickett and Craig saddle leather. The water buff is a chrome tan 4/5 oz.

Lovin this thread!

Dave, ever thought about elongating that travel bag to about 18"? Might make a good "portmanteau" for behind the saddle

Lovin this thread!

Dave, ever thought about elongating that travel bag to about 18"? Might make a good "portmanteau" for behind the saddle

I have but I've got a good buddy that makes cantle bags. Although we are direct competitors (leggings) we try not crunching each others toes too much. Do have a medicine bag in the works, small duffels and some saddle bags too.

Couple of small belts for some very young men:

gT0E7k0.jpg

LG2zXoU.jpg

s115Y2o.jpg

And a pair of chinks that were picked up by the customer yesterday:

Id30YIX.jpg

0F53fw6.jpg

M0kMfV4.jpg

Silver conchos by Hansen Silver:

gAOvYig.jpg

Back