Whacha Been Up To......

Made this a long time ago but it wasn’t wide enough so last night I added a separate piece/spacer on the back. So now it fits the journal I use as a planner/organizer for my orders.

View attachment 1192105 View attachment 1192106 View attachment 1192107

We have a big three ring binder cover that we keep track of our cattle in. Had to do the same thing several times over the years as our herd grew.

Did this sheath for a knife of my good buddy here on the forums W.A. Surls. If you like frontier style knives with a modern twist you should check him out. This sheath is 9 oz W&C Latigo with a 4 oz Italian inlay.
yaesccf.jpg

FIFmRWK.jpg

kkXy95H.jpg

Nice work!

Forced day out of the shop. A planned power pole replacement down the way was gonna leave us without power for the day. Whats a guy to do?

South Fork of the Kern at Kennedy Meadows. One of the two birth places of the California Golden Trout:

xNeZgVP.jpg

CzPDYfF.jpg

One of the few places you can drive to and catch Goldens. Because of the easy access these fish are not pure Goldens any more. They retain the size and markings of the Goldens with some Rainbow coloring:

6LrEPYr.jpg

They are also very educated little fishies. There's plenty of them there but you have to do everything right. Very high traffic area during the summer. Caught three and all three were identical.

P27aYzW.jpg

Last edited:
Now that looks like fun! What beautiful fish. I've caught many different kinds of trout from Rainbow to Brook to Splake (a Speckled/Lake trout cross) to Cutthroat in mountain lakes, but never heard of a golden trout. Simply amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Adam

We have a big three ring binder cover that we keep track of our cattle in. Had to do the same thing several times over the years as our herd grew.

Nice work!

Forced day out of the shop. A planned power pole replacement down the way was gonna leave us without power for the day. Whats a guy to do?

South Fork of the Kern at Kennedy Meadows. One of the two birth places of the California Golden Trout:

xNeZgVP.jpg

CzPDYfF.jpg

One of the few places you can drive to and catch Goldens. Because of the easy access these fish are not pure Goldens any more. They retain the size and markings of the Goldens with some Rainbow coloring:

6LrEPYr.jpg

They are also very educated little fishies. There's plenty of them there but you have to do everything right. Very high traffic area during the summer. Caught three and all three were identical.

P27aYzW.jpg

If I ever saw a photo that could sum up the culmination of a life well lived it’s this last picture. Gonna look you up Horsewright Horsewright if I’m ever your way in TX.

Now that looks like fun! What beautiful fish. I've caught many different kinds of trout from Rainbow to Brook to Splake (a Speckled/Lake trout cross) to Cutthroat in mountain lakes, but never heard of a golden trout. Simply amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Adam

Ya bet! Golden trout originated here in the South Fork of the Kern and in the aptly named Golden Trout Creek. They've since been transported to many other waters and some other states. I've fished golden Trout Creek many times in years past but its very remote. Even horseback its a long, hard, all day slog, just to get there. Fishing is boringly phenomenal though. A fish a cast is the norm as long as your fly is floating. Not unusual for the fish to jump and grab the fly before it hits the water. 60-70 an hour is not unusual. I've had friends with me on pack trips that had never fly fished before and they were still catching 30-40 and hour.

Here's some info:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Fishes/California-Golden-Trout

http://www.flyfishingthesierra.com/goldtrout.htm

These two species of Goldens are so closely related that ya have to be a biologist in a lab to tell them apart. Which creek you are fishing is the only practical way of telling. I've caught both in one day as Volcano Creek is very close to Golden Trout Creek. There is a third Golden:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Fishes/Little-Kern-Golden-Trout

Yet to catch one of these guys as I haven't fished those waters.

Then this guy which I have fished for a couple of times but have yet to catch:

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Fishes/Kern-River-Rainbow-Trout

NZRSJuO.jpg

Closest was a strike right here I missed:

8JJxi6K.jpg

Guess gentically they say he's a Golden too.

Back in the shop. Knives and sheaths:

SW7ywYR.jpg

Grey water buffalo sheaths on these two kitchen knives:

bO27nDn.jpg

JK9mJzH.jpg

Had a little of that wood left over:

RRGNuvb.jpg

Not quite enough of the chechen burl left over so I put in a cocobolo spacer.

PyezqY9.jpg

If I do the water buffalo overlay on holsters why not sheaths?

xj2dLLF.jpg

8ykHb0E.jpg

wK9xJ4T.jpg

A dad is getting this one for his 16 year old daughter. They're going on safari together come spring:

7Nic7QX.jpg

WMs2NUt.jpg

Those are some pretty fish!
"Boringly phenomenal" great turn of a phrase.
The little guy got his present early, I couldn't wait to give it to him and my daughter.
CB3C1B43-3AE4-4D83-8474-F4806D8614AC1.jpeg

She said that he flaunts it in front of all his doggie buddies now.... walks with a swagger too.

A few I finished up recently. Dave your work is always so nice, I keep telling myself, I need to get one of your knives and sheaths.The problem is I don't know which one I want :D.
First is a Weatherford Signature
9yLZTlD.jpg

CdJVsKN.jpg

Second is a RW. Fred
6gAEON1.jpg

L5ddTZf.jpg

Those are some pretty fish!
"Boringly phenomenal" great turn of a phrase.
The little guy got his present early, I couldn't wait to give it to him and my daughter.
CB3C1B43-3AE4-4D83-8474-F4806D8614AC1.jpeg

She said that he flaunts it in front of all his doggie buddies now.... walks with a swagger too.

Thats really cool buddy! Those little fluff dogs mostly all have a swagger. Now ya got make that pup ranchy. I've seen Carhart dog jackets that size. That'd be cool too and match the collar.
A few I finished up recently. Dave your work is always so nice, I keep telling myself, I need to get one of your knives and sheaths.The problem is I don't know which one I want :D.
First is a Weatherford Signature
9yLZTlD.jpg

CdJVsKN.jpg

Second is a RW. Fred
6gAEON1.jpg

L5ddTZf.jpg

Thanks! Nichole always says we provide too many options! Very nice work. Like that beavertail overlay.

Finished these two up last night and got to take some better pictures with the natural light after work. The smaller sheath is for my future father in law and the larger sheath is for my new to me JK Handmade knives mud turtle. The sheath the old owner had with it was way to big so figured it needed new pants.
F0D95FF8-819D-49BE-B089-0731497197D6.jpeg B5985F55-5A10-4D0D-ADB0-895F89828F8A.jpeg 1DEC973E-A62B-4FAB-AC54-B5581591659B.jpeg 16C497AF-6B1A-47F0-969E-2893B6E716AC.jpeg 2AE039B1-A100-477E-9A4D-5D25210C3480.jpeg

Attachments

• 3D3A65F7-2009-4B86-921B-5B119F6787B9.jpeg
    3D3A65F7-2009-4B86-921B-5B119F6787B9.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 1
Those look great!

Thank you, I'm really happy with how these turned out! I also tried what you said about the stamping last time and it worked out great for my spacing thank you again for the tips! I just got some more leather in for my orders I've received lately so I'll have some interesting one off wallets, a cool historically accurate sheath for a guy on the forum, and a pad-folio for my fiance to post after I work through them.

Back