Whacha Been Up To......

My second sheath with medallions. On the first one I continued sewing down thru the slope of the medallions (grooving the slope) onto the sheath fronts for continuity. On this one I broke it off at the "junctions". I've seen it both ways. Is there any one way better than another?
19-32 1.JPG 19-32 3.JPG

Couple new ones.

zx2iNyR.jpg

U6XDiK7.jpg

rTVKfzC.jpg

My second sheath with medallions. On the first one I continued sewing down thru the slope of the medallions (grooving the slope) onto the sheath fronts for continuity. On this one I broke it off at the "junctions". I've seen it both ways. Is there any one way better than another?

Just one man's opinion.... I think these look better.
More deliberate.
Less rushed.
More thought out and polished.

Nice work!

me and my fiancée had an elk hunt recently so I’ve been away from the leather bench along with a couple work presentations recently. But today I was finally able to start working on stuff again as well as get an old wallet I’ve been sitting on for months shipped out to a customer. Besides the sheaths I’ve started the early stages on I made up 4 slipjoint slips to try and sell and hopefully get some quick money off of them. All the dyed is W&C medium brown, chestnut, and black. With the natural being Herman Oak.
9653FCD9-0541-4AF8-9942-1373C7F2B6E4.jpeg

Very Very clean! What leather is that. I do like the stitching down the center, eye catching.

View attachment 1217334 View attachment 1217335

Struggle with that myself. I haven't decided if one is better than the other. Stopping tends to be more refined looking. Get ya a creaser for that strap on the next one, just a little detail that adds a lot.

Couple new ones.

zx2iNyR.jpg

U6XDiK7.jpg

rTVKfzC.jpg

Super clean, very refined. That geometric stamping is cool.

me and my fiancée had an elk hunt recently so I’ve been away from the leather bench along with a couple work presentations recently. But today I was finally able to start working on stuff again as well as get an old wallet I’ve been sitting on for months shipped out to a customer. Besides the sheaths I’ve started the early stages on I made up 4 slipjoint slips to try and sell and hopefully get some quick money off of them. All the dyed is W&C medium brown, chestnut, and black. With the natural being Herman Oak.
View attachment 1218849

Good deal. Nice work. Ya get an elk down?

Good deal. Nice work. Ya get an elk down?

Unfortunately we didn’t our hunt fell in post rut and they scattered; plus we got a random warm spell taking the temps up into the 80s on the mountain. But it was a blast and have a lot of great memories now from the hunt.

Unfortunately we didn’t our hunt fell in post rut and they scattered; plus we got a random warm spell taking the temps up into the 80s on the mountain. But it was a blast and have a lot of great memories now from the hunt.

Goes that away sometimes. Next year will be more memories!

So the show we were getting ready for was kind of a bust. Attendance was down and consequently sales were too. However we had a great time. Management of the show realized there is a problem and they are working on it for next year. Moving to a different venue, big name concert, etc, all thoughts they were telling us about. We'll see. The new venue is twice as far away so we've kinda committed to going one time to see how it goes. The other thing is we both like to compete in these deals and would love to compete together and never have as someone has to watch the store......We'll see maybe soon. Neither of us competed this year although my son did. Anyhoo Little pictorial. Lots of leather work to see.

I'm an early riser and was up before everybody else. We were camped down below the area where we were to set up, so I started unloading some of the booth stuff from the trailer and loading it into the trucks to haul up above.

Here's where we were:

wZnKypq.jpg

I was able to get this stuff all loaded in our truck without waking anyone else:

SG7neC0.jpg

The rest was gonna be loud so I waited till everyone was up. All the booth panels still in the trailer:

i7mvGBp.jpg

Our friends Cara and Tyler"s trailer. Tyler was out and getting going:

DSrF5WH.jpg

Our trailer and Nichole was up and started breakfast:

IzOtlBs.jpg

Q9oymOO.jpg

Our ranching partner Steve and his little trailer. He likes his coffee the old fashion way on the fire. We've got a Keurig in the trailer:

q232fn7.jpg

Cara was up and helping with breakfast:

orO04oc.jpg

Both gals had Horsewright water buffalo belts, knives and sheaths on:

KZe7gWW.jpg

Meanwhile Tyler and I got the rest of the booth loaded on their truck:

i7sHXyQ.jpg

So then we went up top and set up our booth in our assigned space in the vendor's tent:

0mUJV4N.jpg

qgyvFwn.jpg

EIYI72z.jpg

QzsInrj.jpg

JYp4f4v.jpg

Q0o7E4C.jpg

There was another "jackpot muley" roping starting at 1 pm on Thursday the day before the Pro Am starts but they also assigned the pros on Thursday so we like to be set up for that. It was a wise decision, as we sold 3 or 4 knives and some other stuff, roughly $1000 worth, before there was any other vendors even beginning to set up. Sometimes the early bird does get the worm! Towards the end of the day our young friend Emma showed up. She was camping down with us below too. She was also properly attired:

8MCgFEl.jpg

pONgqox.jpg

Thursday night was steaks. Our own grassfed beef. We did 4 Ribeyes, 2 NY Strips and a Tri Tip. The girls and their Horsewright damascus knives:

RMpT6AE.jpg

oH7RlPd.jpg

I'll keep posting more of this tale as time allows.

Here’s some of the things I’ve done recently. I ordered a 1/2 sq ft of Buttero from Rocky Mountain leather supply because they had odd cuts on clearance and a lot of people like the option for wallets and things like that. I guess you can say it’s the new kid everyone keeps talking about since people are importing it from Italy now. So to figure out what it’s all about I made a minimalist 4 pocket card holder. It’s a nice high quality leather but after working it and making a wallet I 100% with confidence feel Herman Oak and Wicket & Craig still blow it out of the water. I do like this new wallet pattern I designed though nice and slim with pretty good capacity if needed.
14C2F9B9-2BE0-4B13-ADBB-3CA9A86C4775.jpeg
3682743C-C7C4-49FC-A5C9-D84BC19948FA.jpeg
I also finally got around to making myself something last night while I was waiting for stuff to dry for sheaths. I like the larger trapper patterns but when I don’t have it on the belt I like a slip sheath so it stays upright. The leather is W&C glazed buck brown. I wanted to try the glazed stuff myself for wallets and things like that before giving it as an option to customers.
92E185C5-B6C7-4C45-B536-E9B0C68F5AE9.jpeg 22D1ACB7-A43C-40B3-95C7-38BFDF37A631.jpeg
I’m extremely happy with it just by working it and the look it gives my wallets and other accessory items, and I can’t wait to see the patina start on the leather.
71336AC8-06D8-415F-B445-3A34441633D6.jpeg

I also made myself a field notes cover so I can stop tearing up my books before I fill them up. It’s also the same buck brown leather, but I threw in some natural Herman Oak for some contrast.
5DEA106F-F109-41E3-93EA-15B24DE4B555.jpeg
FF8FBC31-EC02-40F7-A317-AB01F77950AE.jpeg

Sorry to hear about the bad turnout at the pro am but looks like it’s a good time, and those steaks look like they tasted amazing!

Here's one I just finished up, great backstory too. My friend made the knife, the antler was provided by the customer who harvested the deer, and he asked me to do a gator sheath that was also was harvested locally. Kinda of has a cool history from the start.
8XQgSvh.jpg

Eo39Pvq.jpg

Back