Whacha Been Up To......

Got a watch I wanted, just had to make it wearable
Fw8aRl8.jpg

jXzhtkX.jpg

oQbSM2o.jpg

Looking good!
Probably should try to pull the ends of threads to the back side and melt them there?

Thank you :)

I do that when I hand stitch.

Can it be done with machine sewing ?

I never used machine for leather, but I think you can just leave the ends longer and use a needle to pull them to the back

I’ve thought of that. I could leave the thread long out of the machine. Then thread a harness needle to thread and try that. I’m very new to the machine, so baby steps lol :)
I should look into a thread burner, instead of a lighter. That may help also.

Nice work Dave. I really like the looks of that sheep horn. I get a lot of trade offers out here in the sticks in Oregon. I have tooled up my small machine shop with the results so it works out, mostly. It can make cash flow a challenge though.

Thanks. Yeah we do a lot of trading its kinda a cowboy dna thing. Here's a couple more sheephorn ones from the same batch:

5XtXVDS.jpg

fi4Z2u3.jpg

ePe24ud.jpg

vihtlxh.jpg

So far so good, it’s corners or turns that still bug me lol. I haven’t played at all with the tension on it. Seems to be working well from around 1/4” to 3/4” for me. Couple small oops still happening like hitting the wrong pedal, not checking thread first, etc. But all in all I’m getting more comfortable with it. I had to get over the thought it was just hit the peddle and go lol.

Great job on those knives and sheaths !!!!! :)

Sounds like more practice! Thanks.

Well here’s one for the scrap bucket :-( lol. So I’ve done a few in this pattern. This was the first one done with 277 white thread and 25 needle. All the others with same sizes, other than being blue and natural colors. Worked great !!! went to white and little gremlins came out !! That started rethinking what else did I do differently other than white thread ? One was I left the thread spool plastic cover on. Thinking that would help keep thread fresh ??? What it did do was cause more tension. Cause once removed stitches improved. Next I noticed on my first stitch. That my thread is coming up inside the needle walking foot. So, on the first stitch on the up stroke to second stitch. I remove the thread form walking foot, pull back away from machine to 1 o’clock position. This really helped the stitch a lot !! Lastly I took Horsewright advice. That was not using the reverse thread. I started couple stitches down, then spun piece and stitched on.
But I still can’t believe just switching thread changed soooo much !!!????

Pics
CC4747B6-4FA7-4619-8FC5-28E92A5C2FCA.jpeg C94BC933-9170-4316-9AE4-8A93F5C1270E.jpeg
Above is all the bad lol

Next is practice , stitch line to far left is after all corrections
F1AD82AE-335D-4CC9-9862-D0239AC84924.jpeg

Now I’m thinking would going to a size 24 vs 25 help more ?
Or just forget white thread all together lol , only kidding.

And that’s what I’ve been up too lol :)

Thanks. Yeah we do a lot of trading its kinda a cowboy dna thing. Here's a couple more sheephorn ones from the same batch:

5XtXVDS.jpg

fi4Z2u3.jpg

ePe24ud.jpg

vihtlxh.jpg

Sounds like more practice! Thanks.

G'day Dave ,

I don't know if your getting better or I've forgotten just how outstanding your work is .
Hope all is well with you , Nichole , the Dogs , the Horses , the cattle and everything else that wanders around your place .

G'day Dave ,

I don't know if your getting better or I've forgotten just how outstanding your work is .
Hope all is well with you , Nichole , the Dogs , the Horses , the cattle and everything else that wanders around your place .

Thanks Ken! Sure good to see you around! Yep we've been fine, thanks!

Well here’s one for the scrap bucket :-( lol. So I’ve done a few in this pattern. This was the first one done with 277 white thread and 25 needle. All the others with same sizes, other than being blue and natural colors. Worked great !!! went to white and little gremlins came out !! That started rethinking what else did I do differently other than white thread ? One was I left the thread spool plastic cover on. Thinking that would help keep thread fresh ??? What it did do was cause more tension. Cause once removed stitches improved. Next I noticed on my first stitch. That my thread is coming up inside the needle walking foot. So, on the first stitch on the up stroke to second stitch. I remove the thread form walking foot, pull back away from machine to 1 o’clock position. This really helped the stitch a lot !! Lastly I took Horsewright advice. That was not using the reverse thread. I started couple stitches down, then spun piece and stitched on.
But I still can’t believe just switching thread changed soooo much !!!????

Pics
View attachment 1320623 View attachment 1320624
Above is all the bad lol

Next is practice , stitch line to far left is after all corrections
View attachment 1320643

Now I’m thinking would going to a size 24 vs 25 help more ?
Or just forget white thread all together lol , only kidding.

And that’s what I’ve been up too lol :)

Sometimes it can be more sneaky than that too. I've seen where different tempers in the leather can change the stitching too. Sewing along and sewing along and then pow terrible and then great. There are also good days and bad days. Machines will find threads they like and dislike. Mine much prefers Weaver white thread over the Leather Machine Co thread. My reverse switch has been running quite well for me latelty. However when Nichole uses it she'll switch it into reverse and then use the hand wheel for those stitches. Works perfect for her everytime.

Thanks Ken! Sure good to see you around! Yep we've been fine, thanks!

Sometimes it can be more sneaky than that too. I've seen where different tempers in the leather can change the stitching too. Sewing along and sewing along and then pow terrible and then great. There are also good days and bad days. Machines will find threads they like and dislike. Mine much prefers Weaver white thread over the Leather Machine Co thread. My reverse switch has been running quite well for me latelty. However when Nichole uses it she'll switch it into reverse and then use the hand wheel for those stitches. Works perfect for her everytime.

Thanks Dave !! Well all my thread is currently from leather machine co. Either ordered direct or from SLC. Maybe I’ll try some from weaver next. I’ll try some of those tips like back stitching by hand. One thing for sure sewing machine is like an old carburetor vehicle. Good days and bad days lol. Putting some pieces together today to sew up this week :)

Thanks again !!!!

Thanks Dave !! Well all my thread is currently from leather machine co. Either ordered direct or from SLC. Maybe I’ll try some from weaver next. I’ll try some of those tips like back stitching by hand. One thing for sure sewing machine is like an old carburetor vehicle. Good days and bad days lol. Putting some pieces together today to sew up this week :)

Thanks again !!!!
As you get better and better and more experienced with it, the bad days get fewer. I have had days where I literally couldn't get anything to go right. Leave it, come back the next day and it works perfect. Quien Sabe?

As you get better and better and more experienced with it, the bad days get fewer. I have had days where I literally couldn't get anything to go right. Leave it, come back the next day and it works perfect. Quien Sabe?

Thanks Dave that’s good to know, I’ll keep at it lol :) But your right who knows lol. The only thing I don’t want to start messing with is tension setting. I’m trying to do more prep and change my patterns. So I adjust to the machine making its use easier.

got a sheath done for a Carothers Double Edged Fighter, and although it's pretty rough around the edges, it works just like I want it to. It's the first sheath I've made that's lined and it's lined with buttery smooth deerskin from my family's farm from 30 years ago. Like all the sheaths I've ever made, it's simple veg tan treated thoroughly with Sno-seal

also, I'm having some fun working on an air filtration mask, inspired by COVID-19. I think I'll do a floating liner using that luscious deerskin
DQalv2W.jpg

got a sheath done for a Carothers Double Edged Fighter, and although it's pretty rough around the edges, it works just like I want it to. It's the first sheath I've made that's lined and it's lined with buttery smooth deerskin from my family's farm from 30 years ago. Like all the sheaths I've ever made, it's simple veg tan treated thoroughly with Sno-seal

also, I'm having some fun working on an air filtration mask, inspired by COVID-19. I think I'll do a floating liner using that luscious deerskin
DQalv2W.jpg
How’d you get the sheath to snap for retention like that? Sounds like it has kydex inside it.

Back