Whacha Been Up To......

View attachment 1342101 View attachment 1342102 Some more work on the cobra class 4. Got to figure out the stitch spacing around curves. This is for my .38 super-auto colt lightweight commander. The machine ran beautifully. I messed up on the stitching. First lined holster.

Jon

Thats one of the coolest pistols on the planet! Try slowing your speed down gradually before ya get to the curve and then keep your speed steady through the curve. This has worked for me some.

I lost my deerskin unlined gloves.
Every time I'd go out with a pair of new clean Wells Lamont work gloves wifey would complain "Must you wear those yellow gloves?"
So I dyed them with Mahogany dye.
I'm pleased.
While I was playing around in the leather shop, I made an IWB sheath for my Bolden Gambler's Bowie.
897225E4-AC78-47A6-8FDE-98966DB20A491.jpeg

Got a little overenthusiastic with the cement on the butterfly. It kept coming out on the knife. So I kept cleaning it and putting in, cleaning, sheathing, cleaning.... I think it has worked itself clean. Tips welcome :)

What glue ya using buddy?

Couple of recent holsters:

oHmcbtU.jpg

Water buffalo overlay with thumb break, went to Canada:

1vZl8px.jpg

What glue ya using buddy?
The bottle says
"310 Neoweld Cement"
Works like contact cement, but is much gummier, or stickier when dry. Seems closer to rubber cement's behavior... Mozzarella stringy when you pull it apart....
It holds well.

I bought it cuz it is water based and doesn't have harmful fumes.

Thanks Dave! It is pretty cool. I’m going to practice on some small scraps of leather that I’ll cut curves in. So far the sewing machine is great. I just have to learn how to use it.

Jon

The bottle says
"310 Neoweld Cement"
Works like contact cement, but is much gummier, or stickier when dry. Seems closer to rubber cement's behavior... Mozzarella stringy when you pull it apart....
It holds well.

Same deal on the stuff I use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weldwood-32-fl-oz-Nonflammable-Contact-Cement-25332/100174435

Water based and no fumes. I've used it for a long time now and I've never had the issue you are describing.

The bottle says
"310 Neoweld Cement"
It holds well.

Ya bet Jon.

I may have been a little overzealous (read: sloppy) with the application and missed where the welt would land.... so it was exposed in the sheath.

got this one finished finally. This is the second try, I made a dye from red alder for the first one and found out it's super corrosive, so that one got tossed. Just put the iwb strap together this morning and will be sending the knife back to its owner. This sheath is a gift
5wQm1dB.jpg

cVNwtFk.jpg

JV8ImkJ.jpg

I may have been a little overzealous (read: sloppy) with the application and missed where the welt would land.... so it was exposed in the sheath.

Gotcha!

Hadn't made any leggings for a while, which is kinda unusual as we normally have a pair or two in line to do. Just finished these two pairs up along with a pair of spur straps and the flower carved holster above. 4/5 oz water buffalo for the legs on both pairs. First a pair of chinks:

Tb95cTK.jpg

T2UlWEr.jpg

St6bw4C.jpg

hc8voLS.jpg

qzffcwn.jpg

2nd pair is a pair of charmitas:

LaxTIyt.jpg

We don't like doing flower carved or oak carved spur straps for a reason but we still get lots of requests for em. So we do em:

6lxdwdm.jpg

We don't like doing flower carved or oak carved spur straps for a reason but we still get lots of requests for em. So we do em:

6lxdwdm.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Any particular reason? Is it because they are smaller carvings? Or do the carvings get worn out on the spur strap quickly? Leather carving is something that eludes me now but I’m trying to learn.

Thanks, Jon

6lxdwdm.jpg
Any particular reason? Is it because they are smaller carvings? Or do the carvings get worn out on the spur strap quickly? Leather carving is something that eludes me now but I’m trying to learn.

Thanks, Jon[/QUOTE]

No, cause ya can't see the carving all that much cause the other strap covers it up.

Horsewright Horsewright your leather working skills always put me at awe... If you handed a king 500 years ago a piece of your work they'd think you're a wizard for sure!

On the sheath side I haven't "been up to" too much, but I did find my way to taco kydex sheaths over the last few months. I've been finding them more enjoyable to construct over the pancake sheaths I've been making. I'm still planning to get my leather making game up... but am just not quite there yet.

I posted a little tutorial on the taco sheaths today:

All be it a very simple walk though... I hope it can help those who are looking to make some of their first knife sheaths out of plastic.

I do feel I need to up my focus on leather work though... I've been making some knives lately that in my opinion require leather over plastic... Hunters with guards, bolsters, etc.

Anyways, Cheers from Texas guys! Hope all is well!

Last edited:

Excellent job on that one. Stitching is darn near perfect except for those three. I know how something like that can get a guy cussin'. Ya can make up a little tool, I used a little jewelers phillips screwdriver and ground it round getting rid of the edges. So basically a little very rounded and dull icepick and tap those three high loops down a hair. Just put your tool on the loop and tap lightly with a hammer or maul. Very light taps. Works pretty well. I got the idea from Steve there with Cobra and he said he got it from Barry King.

Big knife, big pistol. FNH 5.7. Even with my big ol hands I can barely reach the trigger:

oLlYEyo.jpg

p5zW3Ei.jpg

Hi Dave ,

Thanks I’ll have to put one of those together. I think on those three , what your seeing is residue. I have been using Obenaufs leather conditioner, paste. I’ve found that it builds up the stitching ?!?!?! So if I go over stitching with a soft toothbrush it mostly comes out. I love the stuff but I may have to switch for that reason :-(
0E4A5EA2-9A85-4D5E-BA3E-2BD4F37F1EDA.jpeg
After cleaning
4C8682CE-5469-4AA8-8BC0-86955B71BD7E.jpeg

Crazy the difference it makes

Ah could be. Good deal. Doesn’t cause a guy to cuss as much for sure. Little bit of sunlight or a quick blast from a hairdryer helps too.

Lol, It sure is less of a headache:)
The tool and hairdryer are great ideas !!! Thanks !!!

I’ve got the perfect sheath to try that tool on :)

So to be sure I place the rounded blunt ice pick. On the loop itself ? Or over the needle hole ? Am I tapping the loop down or tapping thread into the needle hole deeper ?

Excellent job on that one. Stitching is darn near perfect except for those three. I know how something like that can get a guy cussin'. Ya can make up a little tool, I used a little jewelers phillips screwdriver and ground it round getting rid of the edges. So basically a little very rounded and dull icepick and tap those three high loops down a hair. Just put your tool on the loop and tap lightly with a hammer or maul. Very light taps. Works pretty well. I got the idea from Steve there with Cobra and he said he got it from Barry King.
Big knife, big pistol. FNH 5.7. Even with my big ol hands I can barely reach the trigger:

Something makes me happy to see a 5.7 in a leather holster... Not sure what it is, but I like it!

So to be sure I place the rounded blunt ice pick. On the loop itself ? Or over the needle hole ? Am I tapping the loop down or tapping thread into the needle hole deeper ?

Wow am I late getting back to ya! Sorry. Over the needle hole. You are pushing the loop back down in between the layers where it belongs not the stitch.

Something makes me happy to see a 5.7 in a leather holster... Not sure what it is, but I like it!

Cause leather has soul!

Finished up this scabbard for a friend of mine:

mr3v9aN.jpg

3f2NX4r.jpg

azDmhue.jpg

And a holster for his 3" 1911.

bL4C6hf.jpg

HTdcZZU.jpg

Also finished off a batch of 32 knives and their sheaths. Here's a few:

duq7RwL.jpg

o6zR2OQ.jpg

Z97PmPx.jpg