Whacha Been Up To......

Finished this one up, it was a test fit piece. I didn’t have the actual version of the knife. But I had a model of the knife that was close here. Either way it worked :)

This was for a CPK DEF/UF
2612E90D-4F64-416B-8EDC-9659CBA460CF.jpeg FF239D91-8183-47FB-925C-391D7C481856.jpeg A99D967C-A270-4C5A-857D-D1C87EB8CC05.jpeg

There’s actually a lot of leather there. I bonded two pieces of 10-12oz skirting to make up front and back piece. It’s really heavy duty :) I was a kinda quick piece as I didn’t know if it would even work for knife fit lol.

Ok that’s spectacular!
Wow. Thanks Dave.
Unfortunately (or fortunately, because it means more practice and something to do on rainy days when I can't fire up the forge), I have(get?) to start over.
I was following the steps without thinking about what I was doing, and dyed the whole piece brown before the painting like he did. Unfortunately, because my huskies are mostly white, unlike his wolves, the dye ended up bleeding through the white, turning it yellow. Multiple coats is helping, but it's also filling up the carving and losing a lot of the fur texture detail. Good thing I enjoy leather work as much as making damascus.
I'll post more pics.

Well, here's the second attempt (that turned out better) with the original picture. It should be easy to tell which is which.
20200618_102022a.jpg2013_02240043.JPG
I don't like how Bear looks kinda bored in the carving, though.:rolleyes: Oh well.

Now I need to come up with something useful that's big enough for this size of carving...

Wow that came out really nice !!!!! Great job !!!!

Well, here's the second attempt (that turned out better) with the original picture. It should be easy to tell which is which.
View attachment 1361300View attachment 1361302
I don't like how Bear looks kinda bored in the carving, though.:rolleyes: Oh well.

Now I need to come up with something useful that's big enough for this size of carving...

Excellent! How about a portfolio or a legal size notebook cover?

Thats just dang cool. Great Job!

Weo,
That is a really nice carving. I have done some animals and know how long it takes and how frustrating it can be when it goes wrong.
Randy

Animal carving.... I'm not brave enough for that!
Beautiful work :D

Excellent! How about a portfolio or a legal size notebook cover?
Thanks Dave. I had that thought too. I dug out my Stohlman book, Leather Cases Vol 1, and there's one in there. I need to get some lighter leather, though as all I have is 10-12oz.

That is a really nice carving.
Thanks Randy, it was fun. I just started working on Neeko, Kanika and Sitka now.

Beautiful work
Thank you.

I'm not brave enough for that!
Why not? I've seen and admired your work. You should have no problem with it. Did you see the videos I posted that inspired me?
What's the worst thing that can happen? As long as you don't set a timer, but it looks like that turned out OK too....:rolleyes:

View attachment 1361300View attachment 1361302

I keep coming back to look at this. You did a really really nice job !!!!! Came out great !!

7aK6nzN.jpg

I'm not a craftsman like you all, but I can screw a clip on an Armatus Carry Solutions sheath.

Been stupid busy the last few weeks, so hadn't posted much.

Started with a mad dash. Last year we tried to breed Josie, Nichole's mare to a stallion in Utah. Almost all horse breeding these days is done artificially and frozen or cooled semen is shipped all over. Tried three times last year with out her getting in foal with Josie boarding at a special equine reproductive center here in Cali. Talking to several vets they all said, change stallions. So we bred her to a different stallion this year. We gave my son Logan the breeding from last year as there is a live foal guarantee. He'd and his wife had dropped their mare off up there in Utah and Louise was now in foal and ready to be picked up. Logan's wife had just had surgery so she was staying at our house with Nichole and Logan and I were gonna hit the road. And man did we. We left here in Tehachapi at 3:30 Friday afternoon and made it to Brigham City at 0300 Sat morning. However all 6 motels there were filled up. So we drove back to Ogden about 20 miles and got the last room there. Father's Day weekend we guessed. Anyhoo we're at the ranch 10 miles outside of Brigham City by 8:30. They show us some of their 12 stallions including Magneticat whom Logan had bred Louise too:

https://www.davisranch-d.com/stallions-magneticat

They breed a lot of their own horses and we spent some time looking at yearlings, both colts and fillys that they had for sale. Probably about 90 total. There probably wasn't a one I wouldn't of taken home. Some very nice horses.:

rzID0Kn.jpg

Then we settled up Logan's board bill and loaded Louise and hit the road south bound. We made Tehachapi about 7:30 Saturday evening. 1460 miles in 27 hours! Done tuckered. Meanwhile back at the ranch, we'd bred Josie to a different stallion, Call Me Mitch. He was here in Ca and was at a stallion breeding farm only about 3 hours away. Success, Josie is in foal! 14 day ultrasound showed it. 21 day ultrasound looked like this, healthy and growing:

LKGqr81.jpg

28 day ultrasound checking for a heartbeat (then Josie is safe to transport home) and zip, nada, zilch. Josie had absorbed it. Bummer. So we make another flying trip over and back and bring Josie home. This is on Tuesday. One of the places we pass going over to get her is:

https://www.spanishranch.net/

But ya know ranching has always been about next year. So we'd already talked about taking my new three year old filly, Lil Sis over to breed when she's four since we still have the breeding paid for. So on Friday we make the trip again and pick up this guy from The Spanish Ranch:

9cXZnW7.jpg

We've been buying all our bulls for many years now from the Spanish Ranch and keep going back, just fantastic bulls. We named him Padre since it was close to Father's Day, got another one a half brother, that we named Patrick cause we picked him up Mar 17th. Crossing a bridge there on the ranch:

FdSJHv7.jpg

Meanwhile back at Logan's ranch he's just working, doctoring:

1w855Rc.jpg

But come Sunday we have some heifers to process at our place and he comes up to help. He saddles up Lil Sis and one of his young horses too. First time Lil Sis has done any roping for real. I'd thrown the rope off her quite a bit and got her use to swinging around her but hadn't roped anything on her. She was the proverbial duck to the water:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCBZr8RDv8J/

The whole day looked like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCEEflQDgMO/

Somewhere in all this Nichole and I decided to make these racks:

dAF7Up6.jpg

Using a a lot of the crowns and tines I have left over from using elk sheds from knife making:

DkUOToE.jpg

KHxggqR.jpg

PUJ6HWK.jpg

We'd done a similar project a couple years back to hang all our reatas (a reata is cattle roping rope that is made out of braided rawhide) in the living room:

p0tCRpZ.jpg

Px5yLsG.jpg

Course we'd been fitting in time in the shop whenever we can:

u3cqzEe.jpg

C5Eorwv.jpg

nHZQx3X.jpg

aCpU7Mz.jpg

I'm also working on a batch of 40 knives right now and almost have them done. Just about the time ya think things are back to normal ya get a call. Logan's place is on fire! So we hook up the stock trailer and zip on down the hill towards his ranch. He runs The Tollhouse and its about 15 miles west and downhill from us. Apparently the railroad had a brake locked up on one of their cars and it had started three small fires. One on The Tejon and two on The Bena. The two on Bena combined and jumped on over to the Tollhouse:

vtJPg8e.jpg

Cal Fire had 10 aircraft on it and Kern Co Fire had lots of personnel and dozer crews on it.

HnlavT8.jpg

Interestingly they seemed to forget the part where the fire was coming towards the ranch house. So Logan, myself and two other cowboys jumped in his truck with shovels and spent several very hot and sweaty hours keeping the fire from jumping the road by an area known as the Green Gate. We won several times and got our butt kicked a couple and one time it was trying to kill us but we did prevent the fire from crossing the road and saved the house and barns. Meanwhile Nichole and other friends had loaded all of Logan's horses and the Wolf Pack, his 10 cowdogs and got them evacuated. Nichole, Katie, Logan's wife drove up towards the Green Gate looking for us but they couldn't find us in this:

qbkdmNz.jpg

7vqdRSD.jpg

Come 9:30 ish they got some hand crews in there and it was safe. Logan lost 4,000 acres of pasture though.

So then its July 4th. First time I got to try out my Browning 1895 on paper. Shoots better than me.

Ygi2Ulm.jpg

Thats what I've been doing, whacha been up to?

Back