Whacha Been Up To......

So I'm thinking about getting fancy and getting a leather maker's stamp.....

What do yall think about this design?

I like it :thumbsup: It’s unique and displays all needed info. Only thing I could think of. Would be maybe add Knives & leather ? That way people who see your leather will know you make knives and vise versa.
I’ve been kicking around having one made myself.

We do make a lot of sheaths for other folks knives too, not just my own:

MQR05St.jpg

KR6rnp2.jpg

Roughout holster with brand for a Sig 220:

O4yfO9z.jpg

The nap on this horsehide was so smooth that we didn't realize we made em inside out. This project is very wet when first making it as it has to be folded lengthwise and then in half. So the first roughout folding knife sheaths we did. By accident, but they are cool:

ZKsUCN9.jpg

af2nw3P.jpg

zfSVcQM.jpg

A few knives from the batch I just finished:

lxycBHo.jpg

This one went to a fellow rancher up here that we help sometimes:

ladhFNe.jpg

HEFnFYa.jpg

gfqgfTB.jpg

lHfuEPQ.jpg

Went looking for the little piggies again last night. First time we didn't see any:

7Q4Jbvt.jpg

570BC77A-3741-4DC9-B0F4-3123C36484D2.jpeg 16DA9329-9A56-426B-8DFC-BA8554850C37.jpeg 1CFFAB29-883C-4FEE-BEB6-3E08B2DB5E93.jpeg Machete sheath for myself. Stitching got wonky at the top but I’m kind of ok with it. WW2 style attachment. Hence the wonky stitches. Loving my Cobra 4 sewing machine though. It looks wet because it is. I left it outside and a freakish downpour happened. It’s been a wet year here.

Jon

Some recent work:

A roughout rifle scabbard with border stamp:

l8N1hwp.jpg

A pair of chinks with a flap pocket and half dollar conchos. They are tooled with a carlos border stamp.
GwerGj5.jpg

Half dollar conchos on the legs of this pair of chinks:

RxeutyD.jpg

We had our summer works to do at the ranch too. It was hot so we decided to gather in the evening the night before:

bI097mk.jpg

8JT5fci.jpg

Saturday morning was hot, dry and dusty but we got er done. Might of been a couple beers removed from the Yeti throughout the day. We started early morning and finished about 5 pm.

H3EbECy.jpg

Our daughter Smoke, goes from this:

yjB3fXD.jpg

To this pretty quick:

YOl9CCV.jpg

She'll still do some surgery though:

KD3Rnua.jpg

6VzkdXh.jpg

Logan, our son, was roping on my new filly Lil Sis. She's really coming along. This was her second time roping for real, (here's her first time the weekend before: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCBZr8RDv8J/. ) They're really reaching out on this shot:

R8cOYAi.jpg

And Smoke grabs the heels:

q7KdM2e.jpg

Some Horsewright stuff in evidence:

VJNIFk7.jpg

OIhdaqz.jpg

cEietTX.jpg

9qkJxIu.jpg

Smoke was hot that day. I don't think she missed very often. Seemed like every time I turned around she had one on her string. I never even got horseback, they didn't need me:

ZJ0e2sy.jpg

Nichole grabbing the heels on this one that Smoke necked:

af2IPL2.jpg

It was so hot Sophia came up with a unique way of cooling off:

wrSz50F.jpg

Now a ranch dog cooling off in a stock tank isn't that uncommon but this part after is:

G7UEdyd.jpg

She's going home in your truck not mine!

Some recent work:
It was so hot Sophia came up with a unique way of cooling off:
Now a ranch dog cooling off in a stock tank isn't that uncommon but this part after is:
She's going home in your truck not mine!

Heck yeah sir, as always, great photography!

Hey guys, figured I'd post some questions here for you pros... It is "what I've been up to" for sure

Horsewright Horsewright is this what you meant by using Quick Slik to get rid of the belt loop fuzzies? (My arm is about to fall off! LOL)

I've been practicing this on some scrap pieces.... Do yall have any tips on how to get a nice radius with a groover? I'm afraid "practice" is the only answer.... I really suck at this!

*I tried it damp and dry... my lack of skills didn't care

Cheers,
RBO

Hey guys, figured I'd post some questions here for you pros... It is "what I've been up to" for sure

I've been practicing this on some scrap pieces.... Do yall have any tips on how to get a nice radius with a groover? I'm afraid "practice" is the only answer.... I really suck at this!

*I tried it damp and dry... my lack of skills didn't care

Cheers,
RBO

I find it is easier to follow the shape of the leather with this style groover.
ACtC-3c4mlMwilXmD6q7X-Ur_zyhjymHBOb3HYme5GWlyu5djs6QG_NxHoXaeltx3BCzig14SjM0og1d3YFE9BxErWKWUIKICd2U14ukNwa8urToIhWr362nBjMBoDptqDXJzimoLjxQgma3Lc2n5bcPtqaE=w800

One where the grooving is done by the arm instead of the center piece. It will also allow you to grove a molded piece like the ones in this picture.
ACtC-3d0Kj2jP2OVs-1yHvZdLEg3mtUtSPsWffDOOj9huGuvpPaCh6TrF8vevzaHqKnBpP_0CvGNFIHWyqEuK25XXKsXS4mAwf-oiVkkzUwywvEtQypcfze9KzziguU1CASxb_Q-a9XWXXimZCNLQlt-DvQW=w800

O.B.

I find it is easier to follow the shape of the leather with this style groover.

One where the grooving is done by the arm instead of the center piece. It will also allow you to grove a molded piece like the ones in this picture.

O.B.

Thank you sir! I've seen those... Guess I need to get one on order!

Finished up this guy today... Gosh I have a ways to go!

Issues:
  1. The knife fits just fine with friction and won't fall out, but I probably could of gone just a hair tighter around the handle (maybe take 1/8'' off my pattern for the next one)
  2. My leather makers mark should be about 2'' lower! Wish I would of thought about that!
  3. Cutting the belt loop end wasn't as clean as I'd want.
  4. My last stitch looks back (right where the curve part meats the vertical part)
  5. Wish I had a lathe to make a power burnisher... !

Questions:
  1. I coated the exterior of this sheath twice with neatsfoot oil. I have some Bag Kote on hand but have never used it; would yall recommend coating the sheath with it?
  2. Do yall groove your stitch line on the back of the sheath? I feel like I always jack it up when attempting this! lol

Cheers,
RBO

Drawing, cutting, grooving.... don't use the small muscle groups in your fingers and wrist.... like you would when writing....
You want to use the large muscle groups. Get your hand up off the table, use your arm & shoulder.
Pivot at the hips.
Lead with your elbow, the rest will follow.
Ideally you want to do the same (practiced) motion over and over.
That means turning the piece to accommodate that motion.

Hope this helps :)

Ebbtide is right on about the groover. Turning the piece as you go around the corner is really key for me when I do a radius.
I think the sheath looks great by the way. When I do a sheath, I groove the back after I put in the stitching holes. I use a freehand groover and a finger along the sheath edge to line it up. Done carefully, it looks great. Here is an example.

Randy

Ebbtide is right on about the groover. Turning the piece as you go around the corner is really key for me when I do a radius.
I think the sheath looks great by the way. When I do a sheath, I groove the back after I put in the stitching holes. I use a freehand groover and a finger along the sheath edge to line it up. Done carefully, it looks great. Here is an example.
Randy
hot damn, that looks great. I'm trying that on the next one for sure. I ordered the groover from tandy... I'm hoping that it's slightly better made and more controllable.

Dave, your photos are without equal, IMO. Of course, I'm a frustrated wannebe cowboy also, and love all the pics of your family, your ranch-hands, your knives and leather, and that beautiful hill-country. But my favorite pic is that of Sophia and his straw-coating after cooling off in the water-tank. That dog is a winner...

hot damn, that looks great. I'm trying that on the next one for sure. I ordered the groover from tandy... I'm hoping that it's slightly better made and more controllable.

The groover you have could work fine freehand if you take off the guide.
Randy

Back