Whacha Been Up To......

I like it. A wood core leather wrap is on my to do list.

Jon

I have a chisel set from China for wood...absolute garbage!! Even with attempts to get them sharp, still poor quality! Would have been easier if I had just used one of my pocket knives!!

Hey, Dave. The reason I made the jig and pre-molded was because I didn’t like the profile for this particular piece. I wanted a flat back on it. My first two attempts didn’t give me that. I do like your mag holster in the second pic. Also, how did you keep your tooling from fading out on that leather-man’s tool holster? It looks so crisp for being wet molded. Did you mold strictly on the back side? I remember the tutorial you made on a pancake sheath. I guess the same rules apply? A link to that thread would help. It’s not showing up in my searches.

Thanks, Jon

Yeah anytime you are tooling the front most of the molding is in the back. during the molding shape the wing were the slots are to a curve, then while the back is not flat the resulting fit is the same.

Here's the link. Its up above on the Stickies:https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pancake-sheaths-and-how-i-go-about-them-pic-heavy.1262927/

I domed some flat head rivets and I really like the way they look, thanks Dave for the suggestion
4qIKw4b.jpg

finished this scabbard up last night. Works like it should, but there are some significant errors that I'll definitely have to avoid with future projects. Used a new kind of thread that is heavy gauge and super waxy. Some of that wax ended up where it shouldn't, and the result was some gross blotches where the dye wouldn't take. Next time I use this thread, no dye!

f05B0gt.jpg

8mHwEBI.jpg

jB5m7Fn.jpg

I domed some flat head rivets and I really like the way they look, thanks Dave for the suggestion
4qIKw4b.jpg

finished this scabbard up last night. Works like it should, but there are some significant errors that I'll definitely have to avoid with future projects. Used a new kind of thread that is heavy gauge and super waxy. Some of that wax ended up where it shouldn't, and the result was some gross blotches where the dye wouldn't take. Next time I use this thread, no dye!

f05B0gt.jpg

8mHwEBI.jpg

jB5m7Fn.jpg
Nice EDC! Rivets look very nice too!

Good deal glad that worked out for ya. That does look a lot better.
it was super easy, and I never even considered it before you mentioned it. Makes a yuge difference!

Finished off a batch of knives and am working on finishing off some of the sheaths:

u0TvCEk.jpg

IDTAlzH.jpg

First time I'd worked with Paua shell handle material:

WoCG3Sh.jpg

0vEaXeJ.jpg

AJxi1Wb.jpg

nU89BSx.jpg

02zkMHm.jpg

Nichole did a big batch of our Buckaroo Pouches for stock. Trial run on our new branding iron to mark softer leathers. Whadya think?

JVJ1H2C.jpg

Been sighting in her new rifle:

c4guERb.jpg

cNCKqRR.jpg

And had to fix fence too:

D1lb9Vy.jpg

Smoky here from all the fires:

cpJzzJG.jpg

rOQDQ25.jpg

Nichole recently made herself a complete water buffalo overlay outfit:

YdILLry.jpg

I like the look of the branding iron mark Dave. It is clean and clear. Where did you get the tool?

Lorien,
Your work gets cleaner all the time. Nice job!

Randy

I like the look of the branding iron mark Dave. It is clean and clear. Where did you get the tool?

Lorien,
Your work gets cleaner all the time. Nice job!

Randy

Got to agree with Randy, Lorien, your work does get cleaner all the time.

Randy the branding iron came from here:

http://lhbrandingirons.com/

Its a full size electric branding iron with small writing. We've been using L and H branding irons for our cattle and horses for many years.

Beautiful work everybody!
I received my Barry King stamps and the Hermann Oak Veg. tan shoulders.....what a difference good tools and good leather makes! Thank you all for the advice.
Now, if I could only find a 55 gal. drum of experience, I'd be set! This is only a hobby for me, but a truly enjoyable one to be sure. I'll pop in with a couple of pictures soon enough, till then stay safe and stay healthy.

Awesome work as always from everyone! I’ve been away a good bit due to a lot of personal life stuff coming up but I’ll hopefully be unpacking the leather bench up soon this month so I can get back to posting! It’s been probably around 4 or 5 months since I’ve been able to mess with leather.

Glad to see ya here @J.Keeton

Tandy discontinued this Somara Double shoulder leather. I love using it and was real dissapointed in the news. Turns out a Tandy in Portland had 5 pieces left and shipped it to me. Just beautiful examples. Set for awhile now.20200922_152541.jpg 20200922_152555.jpg

Back