Whacha Been Up To......

View attachment 1432955 I’ve only made two leather sheaths so far but it only took one for me to decide to make a round knife for cutting leather. As it’s for myself I didn’t worry much about fit and finish and used some plain wood I’d never put on a knife for sale. Made from an old handsaw (re-heat treated) it’s very very thin, starting stock was 0.035 ground to basically zero it cuts leather quite well and was difficult to grind. One more tool to try to speed up my leather process.

Nice job! They are tough to grind. Just finished the finish grinding on ten roundknives in this batch of 49 knives that I’ m working on right now. Have never had to do that many at once before. Ya did a good job and if it cuts well that is the most important part.

View attachment 1432955 I’ve only made two leather sheaths so far but it only took one for me to decide to make a round knife for cutting leather. As it’s for myself I didn’t worry much about fit and finish and used some plain wood I’d never put on a knife for sale. Made from an old handsaw (re-heat treated) it’s very very thin, starting stock was 0.035 ground to basically zero it cuts leather quite well and was difficult to grind. One more tool to try to speed up my leather process.

Nothing wrong with the wood on that handle in my opinion.

O.B.

Had a fellow in need of a slip sheath for some small pliers made in Germany by Knipex, he actually sent me one of the pliers which I was to keep, nice of him to do so ;) and I ended up making two sheaths for the pliers, one sent to him and one for mine, here's some shots of mine.

The welt is set at an angle so the plier jaws go in at an angle and then straighten out which aids in retention even if the flap comes undone.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

These just drop into your pocket and the sheath helps to keep things 'together' so you are not being jabbed by either the ends of the handles or the tips of the jaw.

Here's a video of his sheath that I took to send to him, the leather I used the Neatsfoot oil treatment.

G2

Felt like bending some leather last week. They are far from perfect but considering the amount of sheaths I make/year, I believe they turned out pretty good :p

This one is for 4" multitools (built for the SOG but ensured it would fit for a Rebar or similar)
lhKeC7h.jpg

mqHJtcr.jpg

These two were built for a SAK Huntsman as I find it too bulky to carry in pockets. The second one got used last week during a moose hunting trip and worked perfectly, the fit is snug and the knife won't go anywhere
87pckbo.jpg

m7XX3fu.jpg

7wPLXTk.jpg

NGagTiu.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Gab

That little knife, based on your description and the thickness (thinness) of the steel would make it one of the favorites on my bench. 0.040 is my favorite thickness and I have one (of ten) that is 0.038 and it would like to flex a little when cutting so I have to pay close attention with it. Good Job, it will serve you well.

That little knife, based on your description and the thickness (thinness) of the steel would make it one of the favorites on my bench. 0.040 is my favorite thickness and I have one (of ten) that is 0.038 and it would like to flex a little when cutting so I have to pay close attention with it. Good Job, it will serve you well.
Thanks! As a matter of fact it’s based off an old thread where you among others discussed round knife profiles so it would probably be familiar.

Had a fellow in need of a slip sheath for some small pliers made in Germany by Knipex, he actually sent me one of the pliers which I was to keep, nice of him to do so ;) and I ended up making two sheaths for the pliers, one sent to him and one for mine, here's some shots of mine.

The welt is set at an angle so the plier jaws go in at an angle and then straighten out which aids in retention even if the flap comes undone.

These just drop into your pocket and the sheath helps to keep things 'together' so you are not being jabbed by either the ends of the handles or the tips of the jaw.

Here's a video of his sheath that I took to send to him, the leather I used the Neatsfoot oil treatment.

G2

Those are really cool G2!!

Felt like bending some leather last week. They are far from perfect but considering the amount of sheaths I make/year, I believe they turned out pretty good :p

This one is for 4" multitools (built for the SOG but ensured it would fit for a Rebar or similar)
lhKeC7h.jpg

mqHJtcr.jpg

These two were built for a SAK Huntsman as I find it too bulky to carry in pockets. The second one got used last week during a moose hunting trip and worked perfectly, the fit is snug and the knife won't go anywhere
87pckbo.jpg

m7XX3fu.jpg

7wPLXTk.jpg

NGagTiu.jpg

Thanks for looking,
Gab

Welcome to Sheaths and Such! Very nice work, clean.

Made this one up while working out the pattern. IWB / ISP with ulticlip.

View attachment 1434937 View attachment 1434938

Interesting sheath. Good deal. Haven't played with any of those thin Ulticlips yet.

just wrapped these two up last night. The first is lined with deerskin and I tried a new (to me) method that seems to work pretty well
fU0vRHQ.jpg

Zn0Dd6h.jpg

DQWsVli.jpg

lSAm3Yy.jpg

30Eu3Ap.jpg

1wd5qNy.jpg

MnzM5Dm.jpg

Eo1IOx3.jpg

just wrapped these two up last night. The first is lined with deerskin and I tried a new (to me) method that seems to work pretty well
fU0vRHQ.jpg

Zn0Dd6h.jpg

DQWsVli.jpg

lSAm3Yy.jpg

30Eu3Ap.jpg

1wd5qNy.jpg

MnzM5Dm.jpg

Eo1IOx3.jpg
Very nice! You are really developing a distinctive style.

I have a question for you gents, do you use any kind of finish coating on roughout leather? I use Bag-Kote on the veg tan leather but have no clue about roughout leather.

I took the gnarliest, crappiest piece of leather I had that I figured was about the right size, and made a standard belt carry adapter for the sheath I put together a couple weeks ago (?I think?is time real?). It turned out better than expected

kUUk7Bt.jpg

yZxCoVP.jpg

HBqzXEb.jpg

5e3fxpA.jpg

This is my take on the MKM slip.
I hope this worked. If you're wondering what it is, it is a knife slip with a long strap .They both have magnets glued/sewn inside.

I don't have a Blackhawk or the talent to make a holster as nice as Dave's.....you guys sure got me drooling tho!
When I grow up, I want a Blackhawk!

Back