Whacha Been Up To......

Dave,
I generally try to make the locks out of a material that is complementary to the handle. The one above is actually carbon fiber because I had nothing like that Busse handle and the black looked good against the handle. I have used micarta, CF, G10, ironwood, African Blackwood, etc. As long as it is structurally sound I can usually make it work.

Dave,
I have been meaning to tell you that the round knife you sent is outstanding! The darn thing is so sharp and thin that I had to back off on the pressure I normally use to keep from cutting deep into the Hydroma board.
Randy

I have been a bit busier than usual and thought I would share some recent work.
First is a flap holster for a local fellow's Ruger 22 auto.

Then a small utility knife and simple sheath for a guy that likes cocobolo. Also a stand alone gut hook and sheath for the same guy.

A couple of hunters for two brother's Christmas. I was told they are twins.

Finally the second dagger for a marine that lost the first during a tough time in Afghanistan. My gift to him.

Randy

Really really nice work !! Leather and knives !!!

Dave,
I generally try to make the locks out of a material that is complementary to the handle. The one above is actually carbon fiber because I had nothing like that Busse handle and the black looked good against the handle. I have used micarta, CF, G10, ironwood, African Blackwood, etc. As long as it is structurally sound I can usually make it work.

That lock is crazy cool :thumbsup:

You may already know this, that Busse handle is G10

Dave,

Dave,
I have been meaning to tell you that the round knife you sent is outstanding! The darn thing is so sharp and thin that I had to back off on the pressure I normally use to keep from cutting deep into the Hydroma board.
Randy

Thanks times two!!!! Glad that knife is working out for ya!

Yeah he passed away some time ago. I met his wife Ann at a show some years after he passed.

Here's a deal. Make quite a few belts out of water buffalo as most folks here know. Very popular and a great, tough and durable leather. Here my friend Tyler has one on:

MJMa2ut.jpg

He's kinda using it as designed. My son thinks out side of the box often. Had a cow elk down on Thanksgiving morning, used his water buffalo belt to drag her back to camp:

PVO0qcy.jpg
Horsewright Horsewright , Do you put a liner on those belts? They look awesome....honestly, all your work looks awesome!
I could kick myself for missing out on your round knives....maybe I'll catch one on the next run:cool:

A local fellow came by a few weeks ago with a piece of very expensive alligator skin and a request I make him a watch strap from it. I had never made one and told him I needed to do bit of research first. Once I looked at a few videos I decided I could probably pull it off and told him yes. Just to be sure I would not ruin $100 of Alligator skin I made one from regular leather first. It came out ok so I forged ahead and here is the result. The customer was very happy with it.
I am reasonably happy with the outcome but never again, at least with gator. Tough stuff to work with, more delicate than you might think and really, really expensive.
Randy

Thanks Dave. It was an interesting project. Keeps my brain working to try new things.

One more question Horsewright Horsewright , what weight leather are you using for the belts? From the pictures in your tutorial I'm guessing a 8-9 since it looks quite a bit thicker than the Horween lining (a 4-5 if I remember correctly). I've ordered the Horween leather from Maverick Leather but I held off on the water buffalo.....for now. Tandy's has the 8-10 oz sides for $99 so I could make a stop tomorrow after work. Weaver Leather has the 4-5 oz sides for about $6o. Many thanks for all you do for the beginners in the crowd, it is much appreciated.

Last edited:
One more question Horsewright Horsewright , what weight leather are you using for the belts? From the pictures in your tutorial I'm guessing a 8-9 since it looks quite a bit thicker than the Horween lining (a 4-5 if I remember correctly). I've ordered the Horween leather from Maverick Leather but I held off on the water buffalo.....for now. Tandy's has the 8-10 oz sides for $99 so I could make a stop tomorrow after work. Weaver Leather has the 4-5 oz sides for about $6o. Many thanks for all you do for the beginners in the crowd, it is much appreciated.

This is what we use for the belts:

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com...-1250b-b5/water-buffalo-single-bends/pr_43042

Just did one in fact:

3Am0smA.jpg

The other stuff that Weaver has for $60 a side is the wrong tannage. That is the chrome tanned water buffalo that we use for chaps etc.

k0JBQQN.jpg

Now it could get confusing as they refer to both leathers/colors as crazy horse but they are entirely different leathers with different uses.

Ya bet anytime!

Just looked at the Tandy offering and thats a different leather too looks like.

I always wanted to try this type of sheat( which of course is not my design)and always wanted to incorporate blood knot somehow with braiding, so I tried, with couple mistkes

url=https://postimages.org/]
IMG-20201209-234111.jpg

IMG-ecd06547aa0b7104041debd9496d2919-V.jpg
[/URL]

Very cool my friend. Have ya done any braiding with rawhide? I think that sheath would look great with a lighter colored rawhide braid. Very nice work!

I did forget to mention that we do use that chap leather water buffalo for the occasional belt. But it is done as an overlay. So we're glueing it to a Herman Oak belt strip that we've cut first. By itself its just not stout enough to make a belt:

ixs4PVy.jpg

Nichole's sheath and holster are made the same way:

v3E43v2.jpg

Been busy on this outfit this time of year getting out Christmas orders. Make knives during the day and leather at night:

YMXm9uo.jpg

6GQmSAg.jpg

e5gMipi.jpg

62yx1uG.jpg

gZXv4iY.jpg

AxoO93e.jpg

28HP6mj.jpg

P8itFG4.jpg

pkFqd9I.jpg

KQVbXQt.jpg

o5o4CqM.jpg

Took a day off to fix fence too:

qeCruP0.jpg

Then back at it:

WSxmBqL.jpg

Those look great. Had a guy contact me the other day asking about a pocket sheath with an Ulticlip. Told him not what I do. Gonna start sending em to you.

You're a regular "Energizer Bunny", Dave! You turn out more stuff in a day than most do in a month.

Finished the knives yesterday, buffing, cleaning and sharpening, cut out 16 sheaths and 3 rifle scabbards. Tooled all three rifle scabbards. Nichole made six Christmas stocking out of water buffalo and a notebook, as well as putting the thongs on the knives, so pretty busy day. Finished about 9:30 last night, started about 0700.

Back