Whacha Been Up To......

Randy, when you line a sheath, do you just glue it in the areas that will touch the knife, or do you glue it to the inside of the original cutout. I guess what I'm asking is "does it go all the way beyond the stitching to the finished edge of the sheath?"

Sorry to break in like this, but something important has to be said : Merry Christmas to you and your families!
Please stay healthy and stay safe out there.
Cheers!
Ted

Well... not the best result here. Looks like my edges yellowed a little bit. I can't tell if it's the yellow saddle soap I used or the combination of the saddle soap and the "Medium Brown" dye.

I think it could be the dye, since the yellow saddle soap is said not to leave a color behind? I probably should of gone with black... or dark brown. :mad:

Well... not the best result here. Looks like my edges yellowed a little bit. I can't tell if it's the yellow saddle soap I used or the combination of the saddle soap and the "Medium Brown" dye.

I think it could be the dye, since the yellow saddle soap is said not to leave a color behind? I probably should of gone with black... or dark brown. :mad:

That's messed up, sorry it happened to you. Maybe there is a way to fix it?

Yellow saddle soap will slightly darken some leathers but will not turn them yellow, at least in my experience. You might try getting the edges slightly moist and burnishing with a cloth. It may just be excess soap and that should get rid of it.
Randy

Thanks guys, I'll give that a go. Maybe I can get it off. I bet a lot of it is excess.

I just ordered some "Dark Brown" pro dye and am going to exchange the yellow for white.

Merry Christmas yall!

EDIT: Crisis averted... I took your advise Robber58 Robber58 . I used an old T-Shirt applied with some Obenauf's Heavy Leather Preservative (although I think many items would of worked just fine) and carefully scrubbed those edges. Looks normal now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll give that a go. Maybe I can get it off. I bet a lot of it is excess.

I just ordered some "Dark Brown" pro dye and am going to exchange the yellow for white.

Merry Christmas yall!

EDIT: Crisis averted... I took your advise Robber58 Robber58 . I used an old T-Shirt applied with some Obenauf's Heavy Leather Preservative (although I think many items would of worked just fine) and carefully scrubbed those edges. Looks normal now. Thanks!

Glad that cleaned up for ya! Try stopping your tooling before the bend of the sheath.

How do yall recommend your customers store their carbon knives and sheaths? Oiled down inside of the sheath? or separate? I've read that your not supposed to store carbon knives inside of leather sheaths.

Most of my stuff I spray down with Ballistol and wrap in a microfiber cloth. Then store the sheath separate.

Just wondering if yall have a "standard recommendation" for your customers... also curious on yall's thoughts on brass. I've seen some fittings green over time inside the sheath.

@J.Keeton

I don’t store any knives in their sheaths leather or kydex. I like to oil my knives or use renwax on them. My daily edc’s are another story but I take care of them daily.

Agreed I don't recommend storing in sheaths but I sure don't baby my edc which is high carbon (26C3). The wife's is high carbon damascus. Both knives live in their sheaths 24/7 without any ill effects. I wipe my down once in a while.

First off, Happy New Year to all, let's hope this one will be better.
My latest attempt at a horizontal sheath modeled after the Case sheath.
20210112-111038.jpg

Hows the retention on that and does the loop slide on the belt?
Retention is pretty good and yes, the loop slides on the belt. I was considering a wider strap for the loop, one with two parallel slits so that you can "weave" your belt thru. That will be my next iteration when I get a little time, I will keep you posted. If you have any suggestions I would love to give them a try.

I would like to see how that works out with the slits. Thats a good idea. One of the problems I've always seen with that loop design both on sheaths for folders and fixed blades is a lot more loop than belt so there is a lot of sliding and flopping. Really like to see how your fix works.

Back