1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Whacha Been Up To......

Discussion in 'Sheaths & Such' started by Horsewright, Sep 8, 2018.

1. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Finished this one up for a CPK DEK1.
    Customer has seen it so here’s pics. AD27C954-1293-4BE2-BA01-275862CD9DD9.jpeg CB42CFC0-0358-4BC5-9EF6-F6B0113DB21B.jpeg 9499CC51-6E9A-4D64-B4E9-AF7AE79D267B.jpeg

jfk1110, WEB2 and J. Keeton like this.
  2. J. Keeton

J. Keeton Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 15, 2005
    What type and thickness leather do yall generally use for liners in your knife sheaths?

3. Robber58

Robber58

Oct 9, 2008
    I typically make the sheaths with 7 to 9 oz leather and line with 2 to 4 oz veg tan. I have used thin pig skin but it seems to collect debris really well.

J. Keeton and Chris 54326 like this.
  4. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    Randy, when you line a sheath, do you just glue it in the areas that will touch the knife, or do you glue it to the inside of the original cutout. I guess what I'm asking is "does it go all the way beyond the stitching to the finished edge of the sheath?"

5. brewbear

brewbear Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Sorry to break in like this, but something important has to be said : Merry Christmas to you and your families!
    Please stay healthy and stay safe out there.
    Cheers!
    Ted

duramax likes this.
  6. Robber58

Robber58

Oct 9, 2008
    Chris,
    When I line one the lining completely covers the inside all the way to to the edges.
    Randy

duramax and Chris 54326 like this.
  7. Chris 54326

Chris 54326

Sep 13, 2017
    Okay, thanks. Of course, I've heard of lining firearm holsters, but never heard of lining a knife sheath.

8. J. Keeton

Nov 15, 2005
    Well... not the best result here. Looks like my edges yellowed a little bit. I can't tell if it's the yellow saddle soap I used or the combination of the saddle soap and the "Medium Brown" dye.

I think it could be the dye, since the yellow saddle soap is said not to leave a color behind? I probably should of gone with black... or dark brown. :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brewbear likes this.
  9. brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
    That's messed up, sorry it happened to you. Maybe there is a way to fix it?

10. Robber58

Robber58

Oct 9, 2008
    Yellow saddle soap will slightly darken some leathers but will not turn them yellow, at least in my experience. You might try getting the edges slightly moist and burnishing with a cloth. It may just be excess soap and that should get rid of it.
    Randy

duramax likes this.
  11. J. Keeton

Nov 15, 2005
    Thanks guys, I'll give that a go. Maybe I can get it off. I bet a lot of it is excess.

I just ordered some "Dark Brown" pro dye and am going to exchange the yellow for white.

Merry Christmas yall!

EDIT: Crisis averted... I took your advise @Robber58 . I used an old T-Shirt applied with some Obenauf's Heavy Leather Preservative (although I think many items would of worked just fine) and carefully scrubbed those edges. Looks normal now. Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2020
    duramax and brewbear like this.
  12. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Glad that cleaned up for ya! Try stopping your tooling before the bend of the sheath.

J. Keeton likes this.
  13. J. Keeton

Nov 15, 2005
    How do yall recommend your customers store their carbon knives and sheaths? Oiled down inside of the sheath? or separate? I've read that your not supposed to store carbon knives inside of leather sheaths.

Most of my stuff I spray down with Ballistol and wrap in a microfiber cloth. Then store the sheath separate.

Just wondering if yall have a "standard recommendation" for your customers... also curious on yall's thoughts on brass. I've seen some fittings green over time inside the sheath.

duramax likes this.
  14. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    @J.Keeton

I don’t store any knives in their sheaths leather or kydex. I like to oil my knives or use renwax on them. My daily edc’s are another story but I take care of them daily.

J. Keeton likes this.
  15. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    Agreed I don't recommend storing in sheaths but I sure don't baby my edc which is high carbon (26C3). The wife's is high carbon damascus. Both knives live in their sheaths 24/7 without any ill effects. I wipe my down once in a while.

J. Keeton and duramax like this.
  16. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner / lessismore Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    I find myself reading this sub often but rarely posting. I'd like to change that, here's my two most recent.
    IMG_20210103_013355_840-01.jpeg IMG_20210103_013520_381-01.jpeg

Horsewright, duramax, fq55 and 3 others like this.
  17. brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
    First off, Happy New Year to all, let's hope this one will be better.
    My latest attempt at a horizontal sheath modeled after the Case sheath.
    [​IMG]

Horsewright and Ebbtide like this.
  18. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    Very nice work and nice pics too!

Hows the retention on that and does the loop slide on the belt?

19. brewbear

Nov 14, 2019
    Retention is pretty good and yes, the loop slides on the belt. I was considering a wider strap for the loop, one with two parallel slits so that you can "weave" your belt thru. That will be my next iteration when I get a little time, I will keep you posted. If you have any suggestions I would love to give them a try.

20. Horsewright

Oct 4, 2011
    I would like to see how that works out with the slits. Thats a good idea. One of the problems I've always seen with that loop design both on sheaths for folders and fixed blades is a lot more loop than belt so there is a lot of sliding and flopping. Really like to see how your fix works.