Whacha Been Up To......

Here we go Horsewright Horsewright , I will refine it as I go along (when time permits)
16106515398547035075298665390930.jpg
So this is a quick "proof of concept " I did with the sheath I made last week. I know it is rough, but I literally don't have the time to make another.
16106530501325329165880366627382.jpg

And this is how it goes on the belt. In the few minutes I tried it, it doesn't seem to slide on the belt. I noticed a little forward sliding when taking out the knife.
Now I will try looping it down trapping the pant's belt loop in the middle.
16106526897314774665625297612851.jpg

All done
16106528459018763166791863794421.jpg

Now it is staying put. Additionally, easy and unhindered access to the pocket. The sheath has a slight upward angle which is what i wanted. In it's previous iteration it could be used on either right or left side. With the slits cut in the loop, it becomes either a right side only, or left side only sheath. That's it from me for now, I need some shut eye after a 36 hours stretch.

Last edited:
Here we go Horsewright Horsewright , I will refine it as I go along (when time permits)
16106515398547035075298665390930.jpg
So this is a quick "proof of concept " I did with the sheath I made last week. I know it is rough, but I literally don't have the time to make another.
16106530501325329165880366627382.jpg

And this is how it goes on the belt. In the few minutes I tried it, it doesn't seem to slide on the belt. I noticed a little forward sliding when taking out the knife.
Now I will try looping it down trapping the pant's belt loop in the middle.
16106526897314774665625297612851.jpg

All done
16106528459018763166791863794421.jpg

Now it is staying put. Additionally, easy and unhindered access to the pocket. The sheath has a slight upward angle which is what i wanted. In it's previous iteration it could be used on either right or left side. With the slits cut in the loop, it becomes either a right side only, or left side only sheath. That's it from me for now, I need some shut eye after a 36 hours stretch.

Very cool looks like it'll work! Yeah I always carry a holster like that. I've heard it called splitting a belt loop. Seems to help support the weight better and eliminates travel on the belt.

A few recents from us:

ifhJerQ.jpg

kqaJxap.jpg

BbyaX1G.jpg

Ap7c0lS.jpg

z9sbJdN.jpg

Very cool looks like it'll work! Yeah I always carry a holster like that. I've heard it called splitting a belt loop. Seems to help support the weight better and eliminates travel on the belt.
LOL! And I thought I had a brilliant idea!:confused: It definitely works well, it seems for some reason that it doesn't sag on the belt (especially on a narrower belt) and it doesn't travel at all.
Exquisite samples of your work, they are a great inspiration.

LOL! And I thought I had a brilliant idea!:confused: It definitely works well, it seems for some reason that it doesn't sag on the belt (especially on a narrower belt) and it doesn't travel at all.
Exquisite samples of your work, they are a great inspiration.

Thanks.

It seems I spoke much too soon about the holding capabilities my horizontal sheath has. It works well for something like a Case sowbelly but the knife I have pictured with the sheath decided it wanted to fall just about every time I bent to pick something up. Back to the drawing board, maybe something with a flap and button stud would work.

Last edited:
Yep I've heard lots of horror stories about those sheaths. Much of our clientele are working cowboys and I hear all the time about them long trotting across some pasture and losing their knife out of a similar sheath. We went the opposite direction with these:

co6nt2y.jpg

BdzXRbo.jpg

4r6rR8a.jpg

They are made of horsehide and can be dampened by the owner to help shape to a specific knife. One of the characteristics of horsehide is that one it stretches and forms to a specific item it does not continue to stretch. Handy for this use.
Working on a horizontal folder sheath, here is the holy text written by the master, G2:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/horizontal-sheath-for-a-buck-112-wip.652682/

We're working on some more coasters right now. Whole nuther table too, but the pic didn't come out. We bring them inside at night so the glue sets up better this time of year. Cold out in the shop:

TEykI20.jpg

Hand sewn and a double Carlos border. You are an ambitious man! Nice work.
Randy

Hand sewn and a double Carlos border. You are an ambitious man! Nice work.
Randy
Thank you, Sir. Either ambitious or too new to know what I was in for. I have some nice buffalo leather and intend to make a belt (or three) from it but I wanted to practice first. Now I know, once I get a little time I'll be making the buffalo one.

That is a lot of leather! Nice work Dave. your tooling is always really, really well done.
Randy,

That is a lot of leather! Nice work Dave. your tooling is always really, really well done.
Randy,

Thank you sir! yeah the water buff sides aren't particularly big so out of cowhide I could usually get a pair this size out of one side. Takes two with the water buff.

Pretty dang innovative. I like it. Nice work my friend!

This one is shipping today. Roughout rifle scabbard with dyed brand for a 24" barreled lever gun:

NCuQ2NM.jpg

New scabbard not so new spur strap:

YP8LGzd.jpg

anJ40Sw.jpg

Kinda a cool brand. I'd call it an R over a JD connected:

Fbgj7Le.jpg

bought myself one of those nifty Tandy strap cutters, and this is my first crack at making a strap. Around 9oz veg tan, deerskin padding and pigskin liner, all waxed up. Buckle and eyelet from an old halter
F0N9I6L.jpg

kOKNZS3.jpg

j97nFRx.jpg

Finished up another pocket sheath for some small pliers, he wanted the Indian head embossing, one that is pretty old and doubtful found any more, one that is also a favourite of mine too.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

This is the pliers that go into it;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Dave, a TON of leather sir, you are one hard workin' fool buddy, really inspiring to see.

G2

Back