Whacha Been Up To......

Finished up another pocket sheath for some small pliers, he wanted the Indian head embossing, one that is pretty old and doubtful found any more, one that is also a favourite of mine too.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

This is the pliers that go into it;

Dave, a TON of leather sir, you are one hard workin' fool buddy, really inspiring to see.

G2

Very Very nice Gary! Me? I'm retired. Nichole has me only making 15-20 knives at a time. My daughter was up yesterday and she got 30 out of 105 blades cut out for a new. batch heading to HT.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKq5z10jDUJ/

bought myself one of those nifty Tandy strap cutters, and this is my first crack at making a strap. Around 9oz veg tan, deerskin padding and pigskin liner, all waxed up. Buckle and eyelet from an old halter
F0N9I6L.jpg

kOKNZS3.jpg

j97nFRx.jpg

Very nice Lorien. I've got some of those old buckles and hardware from halters I've saved too. That strap cutter is a wonder ain't it?

Dave,
Awesome work as usual.
I really like the sharp corners on the water buffalo belt buckles. I have yet to find a source for something similar. Would you mind sharing where you get them from?
Have a nice weekend everybody.
Andreas

Dave,
Awesome work as usual.
I really like the sharp corners on the water buffalo belt buckles. I have yet to find a source for something similar. Would you mind sharing where you get them from?
Have a nice weekend everybody.
Andreas

Thanks I get those from Weaver. They are an excellent buckle available in several different finishes. I've got one on now myself.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com...56/cp_/shop-now/hardware/buckles/belt-buckles

Hell for stout considering the price. Never had one break and we've used hundreds of em. This is our standard buckle when someone orders a belt. We use Chicago screws on the belts and that way the customer can change out the buckle if they want to something nicer. We branded last weekend and there was probably 10 of these buckles there.

Don't forget the one by Jeremiah Watt too. I noticed in another thread ya had mentioned something about the ranch2arena tools. These are the same folks. I know Colleen, Jeremiah's wife quite well, as we've had neighboring booths at shows for years. She always runs their booth.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com...98/cp_/shop-now/hardware/buckles/belt-buckles

There are tips and loops available for all those as well.

Thanks Dave. It’s amazing how generous you are with educating people. This thread is a huge inspiration for me.

Ya bet! There are no secrets! Kinda along the same lines I was watching a documentary called "Down the Fence". Highly recommend it even if a guy is only remotely interested in horses, I've seen it 7/8 times. Anyhoo they interview a living legend named Doug Williamson. At 78 he is still the guy to beat at any working cowhorse event. He is well known for coaching and giving tips to a lot of the younger pros. They ask him in the interview why he's giving away his secrets to his competitors. He says it makes me try harder to be better cause they're raising the bar. Sort of the same thing, not really, but kinda.

A few days after I decided to get back into leatherwork my sister reached out to me asking if I still do leatherwork. I don't know how she knew, but somehow she always does :). ANy way their dog at the sheath on her husband's knife. She asked if I could make a replacement and of course I said sure.

This is the first knife sheath I have made in over eight years. It's 8 oz. Herman Oak natural tooling leather, sewn on my Cobra Class 3 and finished with Olive Oil and Montana Pitch Blend. I still need more practice on my sewing machine but not too bad for eight years way:cool:

20210213_090855.jpg

Hard to believe that this is my first slip sheath that I tried the two needle saddle stitch and I quite like it as it allowed me to sew the thinner leather without puckering up the stitch line
I will have to try some other colors like that Dave

G2

Back