Whacha Been Up To......

:eek: Ya shoulda said sumpin'. I accept all constructive criticism...........always will and always have. That's the only way I learn anything.

:eek: Ya shoulda said sumpin'. I accept all constructive criticism...........always will and always have. That's the only way I learn anything.

I figured it best to leave it to the experts. I have been wanting to get a round knife, but haven't bought one yet. So I have no experience using one. But those sharp points did look scary.

Crap! I was in such a hurry that I bedded the back of the recoil plate but I forgot to bed around the wings of it. :mad:
Oh well. Later today I'll bed the rest.

Having bedded lot's of rifle actions, I noticed that right off..................but thought maybe it was intentional. Some bed the wings............some don't.

Jeeze Dave, whattya gonna do after breakfast? :)

Quite the life and that looks like a rugged horse too, 20-30 rides means what exactly? just curious.

And thanks for the ride to NM, I've been to Arizona a few times and down into Mexico a lot back a few years, I was going to drive from Mexico City to San Luis Potosi but I was warned NOT to take such a road trip as you go through the mountains and there are still banditos that will relieve you of your property...at the very least, so, we flew on up to there.

G2

She's a youngster and hasn't ever been ridden. So he'll start her. That's part of how he makes his living, besides being a cattle rancher and a horse breeder, he rides "outside" horses. We are paying him to start her and will pay board and for shoeing too. Even though she is a filly we refer to her and all young untrained horses as a colt. So he'll get her good about being caught, about saddling, and then he'll start riding her. If she bucks when first saddled (most do) he'll teach her not too. Some horses are easy to start and some are more difficult. The easier ones a guy can get 30 rides on in a month and the others closer to 20, just kinda depends on how they go. He DID not want to sell this horse he was keeping her for himself. He has started three full sisters of Hatari and really liked them so wanted to keep one for himself. He owns the sire and the dam and has Hatari's yearly sister in the wings. He really wants a colt out of this breeding but 5 times so far has produced fillys. Hatari is the half sister of my filly Lil Sis:

U1k2hcd.jpg

F0V1IkE.jpg

Same dad different mom.

He DID not want to sell this horse he was keeping her for himself.
I had a similar experience once. When we bought our daughter's first horse the gentleman we bought him from had an adult daughter that didn't want him sold because she loved riding him. Her dad just said "Then you should have bought him" and signed the paperwork for us. Great guy and great horse.

Having bedded lot's of rifle actions, I noticed that right off..................but thought maybe it was intentional. Some bed the wings............some don't.

I was planning on it but forgot about them. Plus the only kit Brownell's had was with the 5 minute epoxy. So I was in a hurry. I don't think I'll buy the 5 minute epoxy again. But it's ok. I'll get her done.

That really looks nice, Macan.

I was planning on it but forgot about them. Plus the only kit Brownell's had was with the 5 minute epoxy. So I was in a hurry. I don't think I'll buy the 5 minute epoxy again. But it's ok. I'll get her done.

Yup, I stay as far away from "5 minute" epoxies as I can. Something always comes up that doesn't quite go right and I need a little "wiggle room" on time. I think the only place I see "5 minute" epoxies used is on Forged In Fire because they are so cramped for time. :D Personally, I hate the stuff! Always gets me into trouble and I regret having used it.

That really looks nice, Macan.

Yup, I stay as far away from "5 minute" epoxies as I can. Something always comes up that doesn't quite go right and I need a little "wiggle room" on time. I think the only place I see "5 minute" epoxies used is on Forged In Fire because they are so cramped for time. :D Personally, I hate the stuff! Always gets me into trouble and I regret having used it.

I think it should be called 3 minute epoxy. Anyway, lesson learned. It turned out good though, nice and tight. I don't think the wings need to be epoxied but I'm going to go ahead and do it just for some experience. That Acra-Release works great. The recoil plate came loose from the epoxy easy.

I want to thank you guys for all the help I've received here on this forum! I'm far from a pro, but I feel I've made some gains over the last 8 months or so in regards to my leather work; and much of that is due to the awesome information found here in "Sheaths and Such". So Thanks!

This video is kinda a compilation of what I've been able to learn thus far:

Cheers,
RBO

Looks like it. If I might suggest, the next time you do this, dye your epoxy to match the wood as closely as you can....................or black to match the metal.

JKeeton, you did a really nice job on both the video and the sheath. Impressed.

Back