Whacha Been Up To......

Latest belt off my workbench. Wickett and Craig English bridle leather with a natural veg-tan lining. One-piece buckle with matching keeper.

20210404_181903_2.jpg
Very nice! Good job on the edges.

Really nice photos Dave! well done sir.

This one I am working on shows what I tell folks when they ask how much a sheath costs, when comparing that to how much the knife costs. I equate it to a garage ;) no matter what you park inside that garage, it's going to cost the same to make a nice garage aka sheath. This folder I am making a sheath for sells for $15 and with tax and shipping ends up costing about $20 or so. To make a sheath for it that will surpass that price I don't recommend folks to get one, a lot of inexpensive cloth sheaths are available or even some generic leather ones, but a custom sheath will cost some time and money but you will end up with a nice way to carry the knife. And that point often outweighs the price difference, I actually try and talk people out of buying one of my sheaths for their Buck 110's as they are a great knife at a very affordable price, but I get a lot of orders for them as the means of carrying it is more important and it is about one of the best knife contours for my style of sheaths. This knife is a Rough Ryder and also a good candidate for one of my sheaths, snaps in securely. And the knife turned out to be an inexpensive gem, fit and finish are good and the blade is ground down fairly thin so it cuts great with it's VG-10 blade. So I wanted a better way of accessing it since it doesn't have a clip and this sheath will do the trick nicely. The embossing is one of my favourites, pretty old embossing stamp, but then again, so am I, old that is... :)

This is just in the forming stage right now, just embossed the Indian head on there, once dry I will dye it, glue and stitch it up.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Edited to add this was finished up today, it makes it much easier to access now, and for such a low priced folder the knife does a really good job, glad I took a chance on it!

Last edited:
Really nice photos Dave! well done sir.

This one I am working on shows what I tell folks when they ask how much a sheath costs, when comparing that to how much the knife costs. I equate it to a garage ;) no matter what you park inside that garage, it's going to cost the same to make a nice garage aka sheath. This folder I am making a sheath for sells for $15 and with tax and shipping ends up costing about $20 or so. To make a sheath for it that will surpass that price I don't recommend folks to get one, a lot of inexpensive cloth sheaths are available or even some generic leather ones, but a custom sheath will cost some time and money but you will end up with a nice way to carry the knife. And that point often outweighs the price difference, I actually try and talk people out of buying one of my sheaths for their Buck 110's as they are a great knife at a very affordable price, but I get a lot of orders for them as the means of carrying it is more important and it is about one of the best knife contours for my style of sheaths. This knife is a Rough Ryder and also a good candidate for one of my sheaths, snaps in securely. And the knife turned out to be an inexpensive gem, fit and finish are good and the blade is ground down fairly thin so it cuts great with it's VG-10 blade. So I wanted a better way of accessing it since it doesn't have a clip and this sheath will do the trick nicely. The embossing is one of my favourites, pretty old embossing stamp, but then again, so am I, old that is... :)

This is just in the forming stage right now, just embossed the Indian head on there, once dry I will dye it, glue and stitch it up.

G2

Edited to add this was finished up today, it makes it much easier to access now, and for such a low priced folder the knife does a really good job, glad I took a chance on it!

Very cool Gary, and thanks

A few recents. Heading to NM to pick up Nichole's new filly. Taking these two knives as trading fodder.

FabUl8e.jpg

Finished up this holster and belt too. They're staying pretty local though:

cjjSVtT.jpg

120YjHw.jpg

Hi Dave
I really admire your work and I'm saving up to buy some W&C skirting leather. I've recently bought myself a sewing machine that handles heavy thread. I read elsewhere here that you use 207 thread for belts. Is that what you used on these sheaths and belt? The 207 bonded nylon thread I bought doesn't look anywhere near as heavy.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Lyle

Yeah I use 207 on just about everything. Holsters, sheaths, rifle scabbards and some belts. Most of the belts are sewn with 136 on our Cobra 18

Couple of recents:

kEwfQzz.jpg

VGcke3g.jpg

o2HuUeR.jpg

PDYEK1d.jpg

Some product pics from our Spring works at the ranch last weekend;

Mary K was color coordinated with her purple Horsewright Sandwashed Wildrag, water buffalo belt, roughout pancake holster for her purple Sig and her Horsewright Charmitas in fog and purple granada leather. They have purple fringe under the fog fringe too. Made her reins too:

tCtg8gt.jpg

ZE6Djyd.jpg

Can't see it in these pics but she has a knife and pancake sheath too:

3sD8Ld3.jpg

Luscia was also sporting her horsewright Chinks a different variation of leggigns than Mary's Charmitas. These have carved tops:

UAnHWeQ.jpg

Z3CsnRb.jpg

She too had a knife and sheath:

iD1bGOX.jpg

Nichole carved her belt and made her that little scarf she's got on:

hVhbfBv.jpg

Anyhoo thats just a few.

Really nice Dave, I know that no one ever grows tired of looking at your posts as they are inspirational.
G2

Really nice Dave, I know that no one ever grows tired of looking at your posts as they are inspirational.
G2

Thank you Gary!

I hope it's ok to post in this thread Dave, but this just arrived yesterday and I am extremely happy to own this Buckaroo:):thumbsup::cool::cool::cool: The craftsmanship is fantastic!!!
RBjm8E.jpg

zfPcLT.jpg

Thank you Paul! I’ll let Nichole know, she makes those.

this will win ugliest sheath of the day, but it is a prototype for a prototype, and I tried a few new things- most of which worked :)
sheath allows me to do the kind of testing I need to do for a knife like this. Carrying it around without a sheath is dangerous and scary, (for the people)

QeaHh9x.jpg

V9NDwUU.jpg

A few more recent projects:

AZ Bell Stepin chaps:

jDM9g7O.jpg

ieXRx4B.jpg

A couple of Rangeflap holsters:

iE6FvxU.jpg

kPUzzV6.jpg

A couple of martingale/breast collars for saddles.

7SsgsjV.jpg

A pair of spur straps Nichole made with bronze buckles and conchos:

WHq3Q9U.jpg

And a few knives and sheaths from the batch I just finished:

I6ALu7l.jpg

Oqo6myI.jpg

teuruLQ.jpg

EBAn7EO.jpg

3u9hREE.jpg

Back