Whacha Been Up To......

Just got in some different stitching prongs, 3mm and 4mm, tried out the 3mm ones on this small slip sheath. The leather I think is buffalo and fairly thick/spongy but strong stuff. I glued down the edges, used the stitching prongs and then used the two needle saddle stitch method to sew this up, the thread is 1.2 Tiger thread used red for a stark contrast. The leather I got from someone/somewhere it was just a tiny bit of folded leather that was JUST enough for this sheath, yes, I'm a pack rat ;) The stitching is STRONG as the opening was just a bit tight to fit the knife so with much prying and stretching it's still very tight but the stitches never gave way, which amazed me!

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Knife is a 1970's vintage Browning, unique and well made small folder a little over 3" closed

G2

after snakewhips and bullwhips I made some cossacs whips nagayka with two different construction
so I have this also in my fingers. Its fun but its way to much time consuming...

Wow that is just cool, my friend. Great braiding! Ya gonna try a reata next? The slaughter service was just at the ranch taking care of two steers. Could of saved the hides for ya!
Figure carving is tough! Takes lots of practice, I'm sure not very good at it.

Just got in some different stitching prongs, 3mm and 4mm, tried out the 3mm ones on this small slip sheath. The leather I think is buffalo and fairly thick/spongy but strong stuff. I glued down the edges, used the stitching prongs and then used the two needle saddle stitch method to sew this up, the thread is 1.2 Tiger thread used red for a stark contrast. The leather I got from someone/somewhere it was just a tiny bit of folded leather that was JUST enough for this sheath, yes, I'm a pack rat ;) The stitching is STRONG as the opening was just a bit tight to fit the knife so with much prying and stretching it's still very tight but the stitches never gave way, which amazed me!

Knife is a 1970's vintage Browning, unique and well made small folder a little over 3" closed

G2
Very classy G2, just classy!

Big shout out to Randy (Robber58)! He sent me a billet of Devin "Hoss" Thomas, stainless damascus, he bought from Hoss in 1992. So I built a knife a large Sonoran Camp Knife:

2sdyhq5.jpg

zudYoXY.jpg

And an oak carved sheath to go with it:

11qtzWM.jpg

We put it on our website last night and it lasted about four and half minutes before it sold. The sheath was one of those projects that make ya use all the top keys on the keyboard. Had er all caved and out of the water ready for edging and wet molding and #$%^&((%$#

8vlHsWD.jpg

No $%*()^&**% fixing that!

NgQkyhO.jpg

Nichole came out to the shop cause she heard me stomping around. I showed her and she says: "I'm proud of you, you didn't crack open a beer." I said: "Don't get too proud, it's gonna happen."

DJ56aXH.jpg

Yep no fixing that:

Eu1V7jg.jpg

Beautiful work as always Dave. I applaud the trash can toss, that's hard to do. As a beginner I told myself that you have to be willing to toss a project no matter how much work is into it and no matter how close it is to being finished. If it isn't right, it ain't gonna be and shouldn't leave the shop. Oh and good to see I'm not the only one who drinks Coors 😁

Yep some oops can be fixed and others can't. I guess its experience that teaches ya which is which! Ain't no downstream beer! For sure ya old enough to remember those commercials?

Yep some oops can be fixed and others can't. I guess its experience that teaches ya which is which! Ain't no downstream beer! For sure ya old enough to remember those commercials?
Those were a bit before my time.

I was in the "Why ask why, Try Bud Dry" time period lol.

Those were a bit before my time.

I was in the "Why ask why, Try Bud Dry" time period lol.
Don't remember that one!
after snakewhips and bullwhips I made some cossacs whips nagayka with two different construction
so I have this also in my fingers. Its fun but its way to much time consuming...

Macan I thought ya might like to see these pics.We were taking some pics of some wooly chaps we'd just finished. Our daughter was modeling them for the pics (in 95 degree weather and these things are warm), I thought ya'd like to see a couple pics of her reins:

iwRED4z.jpg

sLMGgRI.jpg

votILQE.jpg

Here's the woolies themselves:

Nichole is marking the fringe to be trimmed so the owner is walking on them. On shotgun style chaps I always leave long and then trim later like this.

IColZhe.jpg

LqkjzEZ.jpg

Just a beautiful hide I got from a small tannery in Wyoming.

pAkDS1P.jpg

The yokes have Carlos border stamp with initials:

LFUmaWP.jpg

Which matches Alyssa's belt well:

VcesBUU.jpg

x8N2B2E.jpg

dqCE2a1.jpg

2uiDnKR.jpg

Been a while since I posted, just thought I'd let everyone know I'm still kicking!😆
First couple projects not house related in a year.

After having it 3 months I finally put together some nice sharkskin accented pants for my p365xl.

Made my wife a dreamcatcher for her birthday last week.

Thanks for looking!
Chris

Don't remember that one!

Macan I thought ya might like to see these pics.We were taking some pics of some wooly chaps we'd just finished. Our daughter was modeling them for the pics (in 95 degree weather and these things are warm), I thought ya'd like to see a couple pics of her reins:

iwRED4z.jpg

sLMGgRI.jpg

votILQE.jpg

Here's the woolies themselves:

Nichole is marking the fringe to be trimmed so the owner is walking on them. On shotgun style chaps I always leave long and then trim later like this.

IColZhe.jpg

LqkjzEZ.jpg

Just a beautiful hide I got from a small tannery in Wyoming.

pAkDS1P.jpg

The yokes have Carlos border stamp with initials:

LFUmaWP.jpg

Which matches Alyssa's belt well:

VcesBUU.jpg

x8N2B2E.jpg

dqCE2a1.jpg

2uiDnKR.jpg
First thanks Dave. For reata I will wait for winter like You said, and those rains are
beautifull, and thats a lot of work( so I beleive its pricey)
And I love chaps, very cute. like bear forelegs ( If I used correct term)

Been a while since I posted, just thought I'd let everyone know I'm still kicking!😆
First couple projects not house related in a year.

After having it 3 months I finally put together some nice sharkskin accented pants for my p365xl.

Made my wife a dreamcatcher for her birthday last week.

Thanks for looking!
Chris
That holster looks great Chris. Glad to see ya back around. Been busy with home improvements too.

First thanks Dave. For reata I will wait for winter like You said, and those rains are
beautifull, and thats a lot of work( so I beleive its pricey)
And I love chaps, very cute. like bear forelegs ( If I used correct term)
Thanks Macan. Yeah good deal that is the time to braid a reata. Lot of work keeping track of those 90 foot long strings! Yeah thats a relatively plain pair of working reins. Not too fancy. I like the square braid on them. They work good on a smaller horse cause they are relatively short. We have eight pair of different lengths and complexity.

Back