Whacha Been Up To......

Some recent stuff. A pancake holster for a Sig 365. Nichole did the carving and I did the construction:

CUwFgHP.jpg

zmZlcjl.jpg

And some of her Horseshoe Coasters drying in the sun after having the brand dyed and the leather oiled:

71DFuHV.jpg

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley thanks for the recommendation on the maul weight. The 24oz came from Barry King in a couple of days and seems spot on and is a huge improvement over a mallet, the dead weight strikes nice. The kids have used it more than I have, I may pick them up a 16oz, they've really taken to leatherwork.

My daughter loves the basketweaves and geometric stamps.
25593-01.jpeg

My boy is always ready to hit something with a hammer, he's been nuts about working on leather. Pay no attention to Bigfoot in the hat.
25601-01.jpeg
I'm biased but she did a great job in that tooling^^

Been working on a belt, going to run hopefully not too drunken of a gunslinger stitch with some tan thread on this one.
20211015_161248-01.jpeg

Gary W. Graley Gary W. Graley thanks for the recommendation on the maul weight. The 24oz came from Barry King in a couple of days and seems spot on and is a huge improvement over a mallet, the dead weight strikes nice. The kids have used it more than I have, I may pick them up a 16oz, they've really taken to leatherwork.

View attachment 1661057

My boy is always ready to hit something with a hammer, he's been nuts about working on leather. Pay no attention to Bigfoot in the hat.
View attachment 1661059

Been working on a belt, going to run hopefully not too drunken of a gunslinger stitch with some tan thread on this one.
View attachment 1661058

Looks good and nice to see the family so interested too!
G2

Yeah thats really cool.
Nichole does some really nice carving!
Thanks I'll let her know ya said so.

View attachment 1661057

View attachment 1661059

View attachment 1661058

Yep, looks like she did a nice job on the tooling!

Some recent stuff. A pancake holster for a Sig 365. Nichole did the carving and I did the construction:

CUwFgHP.jpg

zmZlcjl.jpg

And some of her Horseshoe Coasters drying in the sun after having the brand dyed and the leather oiled:

71DFuHV.jpg
Question for you sir, what would happen if you took a hot cattle brand to a thick peice of leather? Would it leave the brand, or would it be way to hot and just burn and destroy the leather?

Question for you sir, what would happen if you took a hot cattle brand to a thick peice of leather? Would it leave the brand, or would it be way to hot and just burn and destroy the leather?

We actually use a brand to mark some of our products:

BdzXRbo.jpg

Vh57qEd.jpg

JVJ1H2C.jpg

Its a full size electric cattle brand made by the same outfit that makes our livestock brands. It just says Horsewright instead of our brand. Did take some practice on scrap to get er right first. We always check the temp by branding scrap first. Here's a little video of Nichole, my wife, branding some of her card wallets.

A few recents:

I showed this pic of a very well used sheath a little while back:

y8fqVHO.jpg

2biSEw8.jpg

Here's its replacement:

8Wz5eb4.jpg

Finished off a group of knives and their sheaths started on another batch of knives yesterday. A Cowboy Grande and a Slot and Loop Sheath:

OTQJjzb.jpg

yEcFgCw.jpg

Real cool Turkish walnut on the handle:

2Zy2JMc.jpg

rR7Gfis.jpg

NnLOKPv.jpg

Doubles:

tAPaPZb.jpg

iRHZxvP.jpg

Cn7eoOE.jpg

nmMqhGB.jpg

qC1H8aJ.jpg

Couple of holsters:

GEF13AB.jpg

M748M86.jpg

And Nichole finished off the coasters she was working on:

GYPeokX.jpg

HWp69z7.jpg

That Turkish Walnut looks nice, Dave. My 4"X36" belt sander makes quick work sanding the edges of the leather. I should've bought one a long time ago! I got my DEK1 OWB sheath stitched up today. LOL, I cut the thread too close! When I finished stitching the sheath I only had about 2" left on each needle. Too close for comfort!
I'm fixing to stitch up my UF LH OWB sheath in a little bit. After I get them both ready, I'll put Neatsfoot oil on them both together. The container says to watch out for the fumes. Is the Neatsfoot oil fumes that bad? Should I take it to the garage to use it?

Man, that WYO Quik Slik works great for slicking the edges! Thanks for turning us onto it. I bought some edge slickers to use with my drill press. I think the are Teak wood. They together make slicking the edges a lot easier on my back and elbows. Thanks for all the help and advice! 🍻👍

DEK1-OWB-14a.jpgUF-WSOWB-8a.jpg

This gunslinger stitch was challenging say the least. It really makes you pay attention and learn the machine.
20211020_183105-02.jpeg

The kids made a coaster for Momma and did a great job. They have more time tooling than I do and I'll probably be taking lessons from them pretty soon.
20211020_170734-02.jpeg

Your kids look like naturals. Their work is outstanding!
Like your belt as well partner. I have not taken on stitching like that.
Randy
Thanks, they really take to it and I couldn't be prouder of them.

The gunslinger stitching was tough, layout is key I think. I poked a mark beforehand with an awl at each apex where you turn the 90 degree angle at the end of the curves. That really helped hit the mark with the needle and gave some good consistency.

Those look awesome, that barbed wire border is pretty cool. I have yet to tool a sheath, I need to give it a shot.

Those look awesome, that barbed wire border is pretty cool. I have yet to tool a sheath, I need to give it a shot.

Thanks! The barbed wire tool is pretty tricky. Next time I'll use my lighted Magna-Visor to help get the ends to match up to each other better. My eyes are getting old.

Thanks! The barbed wire tool is pretty tricky. Next time I'll use my lighted Magna-Visor to help get the ends to match up to each other better. My eyes are getting old.
I hear you, I need to up the magnification on my reading glasses. Between my eyes and my hand is getting fuzzy.

I love that blue/turquoise thread that you use. I kinda feel guilty asking because it feels like a trademark of a lot of your work, but can you share where you get it?

Back