Whacha Been Up To......

Made this holster for an old ruger blackhawk I picked up. Did a single loop Mexican style, made a few mistakes along the way but never made one before so im happy with the results. This is only my second attempt at basketweave so there is definitely a few issues but can only get better right. Sorry the pics are alittle blurry.
s9DPC5n.jpg

Qv0jUNv.jpg

0mp1bXV.jpg

Well heck looks pretty darn good to me! Looks like a good fit too. What would ya do different?

Dam !!!!!!! That’s some awesome work right there !!!!!!!!

Thank you sir!

Well heck looks pretty darn good to me! Looks like a good fit too. What would ya do different?

Thank You, means alot coming from you.
The gun fits great, I saw a holster you had done in a single loop design and really like how you did it, instead of the true one piece loop, yours was a separate piece at the loop and it looked better to me. Also I would wait until the end to put my makers mark on as it is off centered to me. I guess im just a hard critic of my own work, but thats not a bad thing, it will make me work harder to get better.
Thank you again

Man oh man Dave, that basket weave on the rifle scabbard is too straight!
How the heck do you do that?

I just tried to do a 4" x 31" strip and the basket weave looked more like a map of the Mississippi.
Only 2" of the 4" was going to show, and that made it look even worse!
Until you give up your secrets, I'm blaming my cheap, asymmetrical andy stamp.
I know it's a poor craftsman that blames his tools, but come on :eek: LOL

Thank You, means alot coming from you.
The gun fits great, I saw a holster you had done in a single loop design and really like how you did it, instead of the true one piece loop, yours was a separate piece at the loop and it looked better to me. Also I would wait until the end to put my makers mark on as it is off centered to me. I guess im just a hard critic of my own work, but thats not a bad thing, it will make me work harder to get better.
Thank you again

It did seem to lay flatter making it two piece. Thats the only loop holster I've done. I've got to do another for a Vaquero , oak carved. I seee what ya mean I wonder if thats a result of the pattern?

I just tried to do a 4" x 31" strip and the basket weave looked more like a map of the Mississippi.
Only 2" of the 4" was going to show, and that made it look even worse!
Until you give up your secrets, I'm blaming my cheap, asymmetrical andy stamp.
I know it's a poor craftsman that blames his tools, but come on :eek: LOL

Well basket stamping is one of those deals where the really good stamp really does make a difference. Thats a Jeremiah Watt stamp You are drawing a center line and overlapping your prongs? I find that sandbags really help alot too.

I drew one line to start off with. On a slant across the short edge. Laid the prongs of the first row on that line.
Overlapped the prongs afterwards.
Even marked the stamp so I wouldn't inadvertently spin it in my hand, just in case it is asymetrical.
I knew that 31" would be pushing my luck, but didn't think it would be this bad... LOL

I drew one line to start off with. On a slant across the short edge. Laid the prongs of the first row on that line.
Overlapped the prongs afterwards.
Even marked the stamp so I wouldn't inadvertently spin it in my hand, just in case it is asymetrical.
I knew that 31" would be pushing my luck, but didn't think it would be this bad... LOL

Yeah strips like that or belts are tough for sure. Drives me crazy too. I tend to do belts horizontal along the long axis.

HC6QjO4.jpg

Very cool I like the texturing background. The overlay at the tip is kinda cool too.
Thank you !

I’m trying to decide what finish I want to put on this. Currently it’s sporting two coats of Obenaufs. But I’ve been considering Fiebing resolene or leather balm w/atom wax ?

Sweet combo, may I ask what basket tools do you use? I need to get better ones.
The one on the holster I've had forever. Its not marked. the belt one is the same that I used on the rifle scabbard. Horse Shoe Brand Tools (Jeremiah Watt) is the maker, it doesn't have a number.

Thank you !

I’m trying to decide what finish I want to put on this. Currently it’s sporting two coats of Obenaufs. But I’ve been considering Fiebing resolene or leather balm w/atom wax ?

Try BagKote, bout all I use. On big items like the rifle scabbards I use Oakwood which is a conditioner. I only put finish on the edges on a scabbard.

The one on the holster I've had forever. Its not marked. the belt one is the same that I used on the rifle scabbard. Horse Shoe Brand Tools (Jeremiah Watt) is the maker, it doesn't have a number.

Try BagKote, bout all I use. On big items like the rifle scabbards I use Oakwood which is a conditioner. I only put finish on the edges on a scabbard.
Ok thank you , I’ll give those a try

Ok thank you , I’ll give those a try
Ya bet. Guess I should of mentioned why I don't use a finish on a large item like a rifle scabbard. I use to but struggled with not getting swirl marks in it. I found with the conditioner like Oakwood, Skidmore's etc that this didn't happen. So I use BagKote on normal size projects, holsters, sheaths etc.

Ya bet. Guess I should of mentioned why I don't use a finish on a large item like a rifle scabbard. I use to but struggled with not getting swirl marks in it. I found with the conditioner like Oakwood, Skidmore's etc that this didn't happen. So I use BagKote on normal size projects, holsters, sheaths etc.

Although I haven’t tried products like resolene, BagKote, etc. I’ve always had good luck with conditioner type products. Many years these products kept my gear to the plus side. Never really liked a plastic look. Always reminded me of my old Sam brown belts in clarino(?) That stuff would age horribly.

Thats exactly why I like BagKote, leaves leather looking like leather not like its been dipped in plastic.

I finished up the mask for my vintage Kelly Works double bit cruiser. So far, this is the largest piece in terms of leather used. Over all, I am pleased with the effort, and as always I have learned a few things.
IMG-5673.jpg

IMG-5724.jpg

IMG-5727.jpg

I noticed what looks like cracking where the leather folds over across the top of the axe in the picture above. However, when looking at the leather with the naked eye, it does not appear to be cracking at all, but something to do with texture of the leather. It is much more pronounced in the picture. In any event, I suspect better leather grain would eliminate that and I keep in mind that I am still working through the first stuff I bought before I knew any better.

Thanks for the kind words and advice! The leather was wet formed to the axe and had been dampened throughly right before. I wonder if I may have let the leather get a little too hot. I run it under the tap, which gets pretty hot. I may have overdone it. These are all working tools, so all I really care about is protecting them in transport and this is certainly usable for that. Of course, when spending the time and effort to make this kind of thing, I want it to be done as well as possible. I'll have to recollect the steps I took and see if I can identify the problem. More opportunity to learn.

I have only been using warm water, temp you can keep your hand in. I also like to put a little light conditioner on leather after the bends are done and it’s dry. But I’m still new and learning :)

But those do look great , nice job

Back