Whacha Been Up To......

I've been accumulating. Now, I just need to figure out how to use all of this stuff. :confused:

20190304-175433-2.jpg

I also need to figure out how I managed to lose my skiver before ever using it. :rolleyes:

I've been accumulating. Now, I just need to figure out how to use all of this stuff. :confused:

20190304-175433-2.jpg

I also need to figure out how I managed to lose my skiver before ever using it. :rolleyes:

Cool deal. Just start motoring on. What skivver did ya have? Many are worth losing!

Thanks for the kind words and advice! The leather was wet formed to the axe and had been dampened throughly right before. I wonder if I may have let the leather get a little too hot. I run it under the tap, which gets pretty hot. I may have overdone it. These are all working tools, so all I really care about is protecting them in transport and this is certainly usable for that. Of course, when spending the time and effort to make this kind of thing, I want it to be done as well as possible. I'll have to recollect the steps I took and see if I can identify the problem. More opportunity to learn.

Sometimes ya can get those cracks from going too fast on the bend too. But generally from not being wet enough. When I bend one I'll wet the whole piece and then start the bend and then hold the bending part under water. Go slow. After holding under water for a bit I'll continue the bend. I did a piece of horsehide yesterday for one of my folding knife belt sheaths. There was a stiff area towards one end. I put it back in the water 3 or 4 times till I got that spot soft enough. But I'm just holding the bend under water, not the whole sheath. Water should be warm to the touch but not hot.

A little conditioner on there will help with those cracks. Won't fix the cracks but It'll make er last longer without getting worse.

IMG_5637.JPG IMG_5638.JPG IMG_5639.JPG

Finished this wallet up last night. It was my first time doing a 9 pocket pattern but it came out nice. I just need to shrink the card pockets down a hair for the next one.

20190304-175433-2.jpg

Glad to see you have gotten the tools, now it's time for the fun!

That wallet really looks good! Glad that pre oiling is working out for ya. Do you have a creaser?

Thank you I was really happy with how that one turned out! I don't have a creaser currently, but I have been thinking about getting a bone creaser/folder.

Bunch of water buffalo belts lately:

sYX0imY.jpg

s5kHSZl.jpg

And a batch of knives:

QM0IoaZ.jpg

XWrgydJ.jpg

2Ue74SH.jpg

Working on sheaths right now.

Great knives ! Loving those handle scales !
That water buffalo looks to have a great/interesting texture :)

Thank you I was really happy with how that one turned out! I don't have a creaser currently, but I have been thinking about getting a bone creaser/folder.

I was thinking more like one of these:

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-pro-adjustable-creaser

Really bring those wallets up a notch.

Great knives ! Loving those handle scales !
That water buffalo looks to have a great/interesting texture :)

Thanks. The water buffalo is great to work with like that bridle leather.

2Ue74SH.jpg

Love this one Dave. Is that Giraffe bone?

Thanks Amy. No its just regular smooth bone. I love how the color finished out too.

One young lady liked her belt:

wAACKn3.jpg

And another, her Sandwashed Silk Wildrag Nichole made her:

TcMRT3q.jpg

Last edited:

Very clean and very nice work. You have definitely developed a personal style and that is something all should try and achieve. Very cool!

A carved belt for our friend Lucia and her Coyote knife and Horizontal sheath. First time I'd seen her wearing the belt:

lB3dXIk.jpg

RZaRnMX.jpg

d3ey4G3.jpg

She'd and Salty our good friend that helps on the ranch had come out to see a new yearling bull we'd picked up yesterday. Named him Patrick since it was the 17th of March when we picked him up.

gCKqhpt.jpg

We'd gathered a few heifers in the day before and then turned Patrick and the girls in together and then kicked em out so the heifers can give him a guided tour of the ranch.

gb89s5S.jpg

Couple knives and sheaths from a batch I finished last week.

pbCT6aT.jpg

p6IU9lu.jpg

Ic2zQ1M.jpg

sL5tsTL.jpg

Very clean and very nice work. You have definitely developed a personal style and that is something all should try and achieve. Very cool!

A carved belt for our friend Lucia and her Coyote knife and Horizontal sheath. First time I'd seen her wearing the belt:

lB3dXIk.jpg

RZaRnMX.jpg

d3ey4G3.jpg

She'd and Salty our good friend that helps on the ranch had come out to see a new yearling bull we'd picked up yesterday. Named him Patrick since it was the 17th of March when we picked him up.

gCKqhpt.jpg

We'd gathered a few heifers in the day before and then turned Patrick and the girls in together and then kicked em out so the heifers can give him a guided tour of the ranch.

gb89s5S.jpg

Couple knives and sheaths from a batch I finished last week.

pbCT6aT.jpg

p6IU9lu.jpg

Ic2zQ1M.jpg

sL5tsTL.jpg

Great pics ! and awesome work !!!

Thanks for the kind words :) I’m trying lol, a lot of trial and error envolved learning my own style.
But I’m keeping it simple, so I’ll stay at leather work :)

I havnt done much lately, but my wife wanted a light card wallet. Mostly for quick trips to the market, so she wouldn't need to lug around her "...and the kitchen sink" kind of purse. So I put together this three pocket slip.

t6ccw7.jpg

2en9ous.jpg

14t106v.jpg

2yl75o7.jpg

But..... I liked it so much, I had to make one for myself. :D Made it's maiden voyage a couple days ago and wow, I did not miss my inch-thick bifold. Was a little unnerving not having a dozen credit card alternates, but figured two would suffice. Along with my licenses and a little cash. Now can put my phone in the same pocket, and still not be as thick as my regular wallet. That leaves a pocket open for more knives.

2nam9tt.jpg

o5oqib.jpg

Then did a couple coin pouches for my wife and son. Though my wife just started using one of my vintage Roo Scrotums, so hasn't decided which coin purse to use just yet.

sayxar.jpg

316srh2.jpg

Last night I finished up a new valet tray (pocket dump). Been meaning to do this for a long time.

24cfkap.jpg

240zrc7.jpg

10zto61.jpg

2lmrmgz.jpg

Didn't get a chance to take any better pictures of these but here is a simple bifold with a Wicket & Craig Chestnut back. I really like how the natural and chestnut color contrast.
IMG_5665.JPG IMG_5667.JPG
Simple ladies clutch wallet that can hold bills unfolded behind the card slots and a minimum of 6 cards. I usually only do these with a colored back to show some contrast but this one in just natural is growing on me.
IMG_5676.JPG IMG_5678.JPG
The rest of this was me using up some scrap leather pieces to do some prototypes. I've had this one pictured in my head for a while now just never got around to making a template and drawing it out. Not sure how much it will hold yet but it can do business cards/credit cards.
IMG_5710.JPG IMG_5712.JPG
The top two are just some simple card holders I was able to squeeze out of a bigger scrap piece. The left one I applied neatsfoot oil to and the right is aussie leather conditioner.
IMG_5713.JPG

I havnt done much lately, but my wife wanted a light card wallet. Mostly for quick trips to the market, so she wouldn't need to lug around her "...and the kitchen sink" kind of purse. So I put together this three pocket slip.

t6ccw7.jpg

2en9ous.jpg

14t106v.jpg

2yl75o7.jpg

But..... I liked it so much, I had to make one for myself. :D Made it's maiden voyage a couple days ago and wow, I did not miss my inch-thick bifold. Was a little unnerving not having a dozen credit card alternates, but figured two would suffice. Along with my licenses and a little cash. Now can put my phone in the same pocket, and still not be as thick as my regular wallet. That leaves a pocket open for more knives.

2nam9tt.jpg

o5oqib.jpg

Then did a couple coin pouches for my wife and son. Though my wife just started using one of my vintage Roo Scrotums, so hasn't decided which coin purse to use just yet.

sayxar.jpg

316srh2.jpg

Last night I finished up a new valet tray (pocket dump). Been meaning to do this for a long time.

24cfkap.jpg

240zrc7.jpg

10zto61.jpg

2lmrmgz.jpg

Very cool! Nice work. Yeah once you use one of those card wallets.....all I use anymore. My bifold is in the gunsafe with all the stuff I thought i needed to carry around. I've been a card wallet guy for 3/4 years now.
Didn't get a chance to take any better pictures of these but here is a simple bifold with a Wicket & Craig Chestnut back. I really like how the natural and chestnut color contrast.
View attachment 1095964 View attachment 1095965
Simple ladies clutch wallet that can hold bills unfolded behind the card slots and a minimum of 6 cards. I usually only do these with a colored back to show some contrast but this one in just natural is growing on me.
View attachment 1095966 View attachment 1095970
The rest of this was me using up some scrap leather pieces to do some prototypes. I've had this one pictured in my head for a while now just never got around to making a template and drawing it out. Not sure how much it will hold yet but it can do business cards/credit cards.
View attachment 1095967 View attachment 1095968
The top two are just some simple card holders I was able to squeeze out of a bigger scrap piece. The left one I applied neatsfoot oil to and the right is aussie leather conditioner.
View attachment 1095969

Those are just rockin!! I too like the contrast between the chestnut and the natural. Did ya split the bridle leather? Like that clutch. See that creaser along both sides of the strap and along the edge of the flap of that prototype would just put it over the top. I like the range marks on it. I've found bout 50% of folks like em and about 50% don't

Last edited:
Back