Wharncliffe Delica - any interest? (Pics)

Here's a link to the Spyderco forum thread giving all the details from start to proto. There are some more pics there with comparisons too.

http://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70607

Please give your opinions of the knife and maybe testing ideas. It really is a fantastic working knife. The best I've ever had the pleasure of using. Here are a couple pics...

P1010429_zpsyypxzkol.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

P1010398_zpsp9b6rrfg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think VG10 would be fine, but what are some other good Japanese steels? Are y'all cool with this color?

C66F056B-EEDF-4746-AD2C-78A9D7DF2F77_zpsseqct1tg.png
[/URL][/IMG]

If Japan is willing to do a solid Superblue or Hap40 in a thick enough stock in order to keep the spine thickness your looking for, but still keep it somewhat thin behind the edge, I'm in. (Goldenrod handles w/ a blade that takes a patina would look sweet imo)
If you would rather keep it as a stainless, I'd still be down for one in VG10. (who am I kidding, I'd buy multiples of any varient of this blade)

I like the blade shape and it should work great at its intended purpose. LOVE the color...hope they actually go with that. I think vg10 is the logical steel choice. This is first and foremost intended to be a user and work knife correct? Keep it simple and affordable I say.

Keep it simple and affordable I say.

Totally and utterly agree .
In my uneducated and uncalled for opinion , I wouldn't bother with special steels and unique handle colors just yet , I'd use VG10 steel and maybe offer three handle colors that are already in production that give a cross section of light to dark options .
Keep the production as simple as possible so that the pricing is at or as close to the standard Delica's as possible .
If there is an interest and uptake from the buying public , that's when a Sprint run with unique handle color and blade steel comes into the arena .

Love the idea , concept , enthusiasm and attitude of the two main instigators of this project , Jazz and Sal .
I tip my hat to you both .

Ken

I just got through reading the whole Spyderco forum thread on this knife.
Jazz's points on a 3" blade work knife, and the grips he illustrated in that thread is exactly why I prefer, used for the last 20 years, and will continue to use one.

For some of the tasks I do, a high speed steel is very much prefered, and a mild belly is needed. But if this knife makes it to production, I'll buy it regardless.

A ~3" wharncliffe delica would make the perfect companion at work with my hap40 version.

Interesting knife, but the lack of a 50/50 choil makes it considerably less appealing to me than a wharncliffe Calypso Jr. would be. Actually, a FFG PE wharncliffe version of the Rescue 3 would be even better. :D

Interesting knife, but the lack of a 50/50 choil makes it considerably less appealing to me than a wharncliffe Calypso Jr. would be. Actually, a FFG PE wharncliffe version of the Rescue 3 would be even better. :D

Not pe, and not ffg but I did wharnify an Atlantic Salt. I have temporarily replaced my Pacific Salt with this knife and it works great for a lot of tasks on the kayak. I'm going to try the same thing with my Saver Salt which is more like a Delica size with a choil. I have a feeling I will prefer the larger model, but we'll see.

*Ironically I got this idea some years ago from Jazz! Hah!

I'm tending to agree with keeping it affordable (VG10) and sprint later if it sells. My first choice for color was blue jeanish blue, but it's already used. I do like the mustardy goldenrod yellow, though.
You guys that use bigger knives - how do you work with them? I find them unwieldy - kind of in the way in small spaces type of thing? Just curious. Not dissin' your choices.
Gringo, how do you take such good pics? I simply cannot.

I'm tending to agree with keeping it affordable (VG10) and sprint later if it sells. My first choice for color was blue jeanish blue, but it's already used. I do like the mustardy goldenrod yellow, though.
You guys that use bigger knives - how do you work with them? I find them unwieldy - kind of in the way in small spaces type of thing? Just curious. Not dissin' your choices.

I reckon it depends a ton on what you're cutting. Like out on the kayak I like larger folders. I might be gutting fish or cutting off heads or sliding the blade up under the gill plates of large fish to cut the gills and bleed them. In all of those scenarios, a 4" blade is more useful than a 3" one. When it comes to edc, if I'm truly honest, I have to admit that I really don't use my knives all that much. Sometimes I will cut food, veggies, fruit and I prefer a slightly larger blade for that but for ease of carry, I like stuff in the 3" to 3.5" range.

It sounds to me like you use your edc knife to do a ton of box cutting/opening. I imagine if that was the kind of use that mine was getting I would favor the shorter blades where I could get my finger up towards the tip. In my world though, I might open 1 box a month so that's kind of a non issue. Horses for courses.

Wharncliffe blades have their uses. I normally prefer them as a secondary blade, though. The Kiwi 4 is interesting as a pocket knife and it might do just as well as a Delica in this regard. However, I have yet to handle one, so this is just thinking out loud.

I have always like the wharncliffe style blade and the Delica has always been a favorite knife of mine, in fact it was the first Spyderco knife I ever purchased. First serrated knife I ever owned as well. I would certainly want one of the proposed wharncliffe blade Delicas. My penchant lately has been for orange scales, so I would like to see orange as a color option.

Not pe, and not ffg but I did wharnify an Atlantic Salt. I have temporarily replaced my Pacific Salt with this knife and it works great for a lot of tasks on the kayak. I'm going to try the same thing with my Saver Salt which is more like a Delica size with a choil. I have a feeling I will prefer the larger model, but we'll see.

*Ironically I got this idea some years ago from Jazz! Hah!
Really neat photo Lance!

I had someone do similar for me a few years back on a PE Atlantic. Doesn't get much real use, but I carry it when I have to walk Bear and it's pouring rain and hot enough that wearing a rain coat would only mean getting soaked with sweat instead of rain.

maple_wharn_atl3.jpg

Back