Wharncliffe Weekday

As far as I know, today is a week-day too:D week-end far off...:eek:

Here's a Wharncliffe for Tuesday, excellent pattern too the 82 Skinner

41xEZZG.jpg

Sure, Will knows a bit about wharncliffs
View attachment 1124127
View attachment 1124131

:D Thank you JP:thumbsup:

The Ettrick is an interesting pattern as it has that long handle and small Wharncliffe. The origins of the Wharncliffe are a bit obscure or mythological...;) Connexion between the Earl of Wharncliffe and Joseph Rodgers, allegedly.But it looks like an English style of blade coming in to view in the early part of the c19th. The Norfolk pattern, a kind of Wharncliffe Pen is sometimes referred to as just a Wharncliffe etc.

The blade has become a recent favourite with knife makers and this might have something to do with Tony Bose shaking off the deadweight of mindless 'tradition' and having the temerity/genuis to replace the Spey blade on a Trapper with a Wharncliffe. It makes for not only a useful combination but an aesthetically satisfying knife too. Ditto his design for the Swayback Jack or Gent from CASE a deservedly popular and appeallng smaller pocket knife. Then there's the CASE/Bose Collab Norfolk.

GEC has put out a number of interesting Wharncliffes too and Queen took up the baton shortly before their extinction. Don't think Buck has done any Wharncliffes though??

That older multi tool knife of yours is very cool JP, weirdly clever :D:cool:

Here are a couple of my special ones.

First is a S&M English Jack that Master Smith Don Hanson reground the spear into a Wharncliffe for me.
fAi1Ke8.jpg

This Case WT was a grail for me when obtained: clip and Wharncliffe, burnt green bone, 4" copperhead frame, as-ground blades . . . :cool:
FUSg1K5.jpg

A gift from a BFC forumite, Kane was my grandmother's maiden name and we are still very active with our Kane relatives.
79UiqHW.jpg

Wharncliffe Tuesday it is :)

I don't have a lot of wharncliffe blades but I do appreciate their aesthetics and usefulness for package deconstruction :)
The recent Wall Street run is probably my favorite wharncliffe at the moment...the Chestnut example standing out to me (and one of the few brushed bolster trims I like).
GEC_99_chestnut_02.jpg

Back