Wharncliffe Weekday

I love the Case swaybacks, but I probably carry my Wharncliffe mini trapper more than anything else. The Wharncliffe tiny trapper is great when I just need something small and discrete.

33337388678_56f6c7e182_b.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Bill's association with Winchester (were these GEC's branded for Winchester ??) ... would you mind giving us the story, thanks !
If I'm not mistaken, someone please correct me if needed, Bill Howard was a long-time cutler for Queen before he started up GEC...and Queen made some of the Winchester branded knives.

I'm not familiar with Bill's association with Winchester (were these GEC's branded for Winchester ??) ... would you mind giving us the story, thanks !

If I'm not mistaken, someone please correct me if needed, Bill Howard was a long-time cutler for Queen before he started up GEC...and Queen made some of the Winchester branded knives.

Short story: Blue Grass Cutlery (a wholesaler/jobber) obtained license from Olin (which owns the Winchester brand) and contracted Queen to make Winchester-branded knives from about 1988 to the early 2000s. Almost all of the Winchester knives were made by Queen. Utica made the metal handled knives. Camillus made at least some in the early 2000s, but it's unknown which ones. Bill Howard was the guiding hand behind the Queen-made Winchesters. High quality knives (comparable to GEC) that fly under the radar.

Short story: Blue Grass Cutlery (a wholesaler/jobber) obtained license from Olin (which owns the Winchester brand) and contracted Queen to make Winchester-branded knives from about 1988 to the early 2000s. Almost all of the Winchester knives were made by Queen. Utica made the metal handled knives. Camillus made at least some in the early 2000s, but it's unknown which ones. Bill Howard was the guiding hand behind the Queen-made Winchesters. High quality knives (comparable to GEC) that fly under the radar.

Very good, BB knives are wonderful but as far as I know the only Wharncliffe amongst them is the small Half Congress type? Those Winchester Whittlers you showed in post 37 are sublime too:cool:

Very good, BB knives are wonderful but as far as I know the only Wharncliffe amongst them is the small Half Congress type? Those Winchester Whittlers you showed in post 37 are sublime too:cool:
Thanks, Will. Those Whittlers are Black Box also, but came a few years later, c.1995/1996.

Interesting ... thanks for the intel !

Another week-day another Wharncliffe :)

Actually two in one, GEC 57 Half-Whittler in Pickle Bone and a simply wonderful present from Jolipapa Jolipapa of a coin knife with its own Wharncliffe amongst others. An intricate piece of workmanship and from 1869. The year of Böker's foundation, birth year of one of my grandfathers and 150 years ago :cool: Thanks JP!

rfGPSmh.jpg

Another week-day another Wharncliffe :)

Actually two in one, GEC 57 Half-Whittler in Pickle Bone and a simply wonderful present from Jolipapa Jolipapa of a coin knife with its own Wharncliffe amongst others. An intricate piece of workmanship and from 1869. The year of Böker's foundation, birth year of one of my grandfathers and 150 years ago :cool: Thanks JP!

rfGPSmh.jpg
You're welcome Will! I'm not sure the knife is that old, this is the date of the coin (the last year of the Empire). A part of my family seems to have been pro-Napoleon III (Napoleon the little as said Victor Hugo :)), not sure I 'm proud of it as he was the nearest thing to a dictator. I suppose this was made after his demise (btw due to a war wanted by Bismarck thanks to one of the first fake news the Ems dispatch) and sold as souvenir by Nogent's cutlers (money has no smell as said Vespasien), something like bees after Napoleon 100 days. There are same knives with Louis-Philippe and several other large coins. I never could find a fitting spring for the scissors.
This is a very nice picture :thumbsup: that reminds me I also have a 57 thanks to @WValtakis :).
Northfield_57W.jpg

Thanks JP. Yes I realize the multi-tool aspect is not from 1869..but in the c20th, takes a lot of skill to make it happen:thumbsup:

Back