What’s the oldest axes branded or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve seen and owned many axes I have a massive collection. My question is what’s older the Kelly true temper branded or the unbranded with numbers and no branding and ridges in the eye ? I have Kelly Vulcan axes and unbranded double bit that probably had a foil sticker in it’s day. Just curious. And if anyone has a phantom beveled keen kutter Jersey please let me know lol

Oont-Groont brand axes made in Olduvai Gorge 1.5m years ago were the finest of the day. Early phantom bevels.

1UfwafILy8MznwsSGp1G1nc9-Yzx40aG6z8g2tc1cPwvip9GQ6szn0A21cqRElVlUTkOb258MpR0kVDo6ET4tTGZ9qRB=s2048

My probably late 60's woodslasher boys axe and hatchet are completely unstamped and have remnants of their original woodslasher foil stickers.

If it's got no markings other than a number, I believe that makes it a 50's-early 60's axe made generally for label rebranding or a woodslasher label.

Remember the refinement and extra touches of American axe manufacturer fell after chainsaws took over, it did not rise.

Ya I have 2 older scarse Vulcan double bits I’m thinking about restoring and selling. We shall see

That must be from your personal caveman days I mean collection. If ya don’t have anything nice to say troll off !
Woah, dude. Sit down and chill a little. Enjoy some humor. Have a glass of bourbon. You're wound a little tight.
The axe forum is a cool chill place with some very knowledgeable people. Get to know us a bit before you go off on us. We're a good bunch here.

Woah, dude. Sit down and chill a little. Enjoy some humor. Have a glass of bourbon. You're wound a little tight.
The axe forum is a cool chill place with some very knowledgeable people. Get to know us a bit before you go off on us. We're a good bunch here.
I was flipping ya crap back I’ve seen your posts. Not a fan favorite are ya ?

I, for one, thought the Oo-Groo was funnier than h#ll. Impossible to accurately date however, due to lacking a foil label.

Parker

I, for one, thought the Oo-Groo was funnier than h#ll. Impossible to accurately date however, due to lacking a foil label.

Parker
Hey we’re you apart of the Parker promo did you see jake from State Farm ?

Bryce, the question in your title is not the same as the question in your post. The Kelly/TT/Vulcan history is partly available to us, and interesting to study, but of course there were axes (and axe-like tools) made and used in prior times and places. Most of those from before branding was invented or records were kept are lost to us forever, simply because they were used up, worn out, perhaps discarded or left behind when an improved tool was obtained. They crumbled or corroded back to the raw materials they were formed of.

Amateur historians need to remember that the historic data we have access to is only a small fraction of what actually happened, snippets and fragments and slivers that randomly survived until now. Put another way, what we don’t know exceeds what we do know by many orders of magnitude. The farther you go back, the larger the ratio.

I envy your massive collection, in my mind’s eye. I have a small collection of users which will never be massive, or include many valuable specimens. Like you, I enjoy researching their (rather mundane, in my case) history.

Parker

I envy your massive collection, in my mind’s eye. I have a small collection of users which will never be massive, or include many valuable specimens. Like you, I enjoy researching their (rather mundane, in my case) history.
Bryce: I'm kind of in the same position as Parker.... a small "collection" (less than a hundred), with very few pieces of significant value other that usability. I would like to see pictures of your collection! I would especially like to see the older Vulcan axes that were made in Charleston, W Va.! Learning the history of the axes you find is half of the fun!
I'm searching for more information on axes made by The Collins Co., marked New York. Do you have any information or pictures you could share?

Bryce: I'm kind of in the same position as Parker.... a small "collection" (less than a hundred), with very few pieces of significant value other that usability. I would like to see pictures of your collection! I would especially like to see the older Vulcan axes that were made in Charleston, W Va.! Learning the history of the axes you find is half of the fun!
I'm searching for more information on axes made by The Collins Co., marked New York. Do you have any information or pictures you could share?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-p-kelly-vulcan-axe-charleston-1823185029

Bryce, the question in your title is not the same as the question in your post. The Kelly/TT/Vulcan history is partly available to us, and interesting to study, but of course there were axes (and axe-like tools) made and used in prior times and places. Most of those from before branding was invented or records were kept are lost to us forever, simply because they were used up, worn out, perhaps discarded or left behind when an improved tool was obtained. They crumbled or corroded back to the raw materials they were formed of.

Amateur historians need to remember that the historic data we have access to is only a small fraction of what actually happened, snippets and fragments and slivers that randomly survived until now. Put another way, what we don’t know exceeds what we do know by many orders of magnitude. The farther you go back, the larger the ratio.

Parker
All of mine are users sir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back