What’s your go-to dog walking carry? Let’s see some pics!

I carry a foldable katana cane. Patent pending of course.

In California?

Very much looking forward to to some pics of that! Lolll. Wish I can carry something like that in California

I understand you probably aren’t carrying a folding katana cane, but FYI, as long as it wasn’t a hidden cane blade and actually folded, it would be LEGAL most places in CA. There are ZERO size restrictions on concealed carry folding knives or open carry fixed blades. Just can’t hide a fixed blade of ANY SIZE on your person in a way that you can get it out quickly...

I carry my Glock 27 with 10-12 rounds (depending on magazine), opposite a (usually large) folder and a very small Asp Palm Defender OC spray canister. Dog or no dog.

(and two flashlights and a wallet and a phone and a small folder and a watch and fire and my badge)

Last edited:
She is wondering what s going on.

On my daily dog walks, I usually carry whatever I have been using that day. My biggest in my edc rotation is a Recon1. I also have a pepper spray in my pocket (for whatever that s worth). Our walk is through a pretty safe neighborhood, but a 170 pound shepherd mix behind an invisible fence does get my dog s and my attention when she s outside.
I’m glad you brought up the pepper spray because it’s something I actually should start carrying as well. I walk in a pretty safe neighborhood as well but was a little taken off by the fact a couple got mugged just walking around the neighborhood by some scums in a car. In the event of something like that happening I believe pepper spray would absolutely be the best deterrent.

I hate to inject some serious in a basically fun thread, but I had to confront an issue of that kind when I walked my sister's dog (a totally harmless but a bit disturbed Australian shepherd). I was way out in the woods (but on a path, silly...) and we met three free roaming big aggressive dogs while the two broads (the owners) quietly chatted and smoked far away. Situational awareness oblige, the three rowdies knew they had the overhand and started to gnash the poor pooch which didn't even understand what was raining on him. I hit with great anger on the rogues with my walking cane (fortunately, I had the cane that day because of my sometimes hurting hip), and this, but only this, woke up the broads which came up yelling like "leave my dogs alone". In this situation, I totally recommend a cattle prod. Forget any knife. Prod the dogs first, then prod the broads, they deserve it.

Hyesouljah Hyesouljah You have a lovely dog !​

Thank you very much! You are absolutely right in doing so. Lot of my neighbors carry big walking sticks for the same reasons. Unfortunately it turns out in my neighborhood I have more of a human problem than a doggo problem. A cattle prod sure does sound effective for both however.

I understand you probably aren’t carrying a folding katana cane, but FYI, as long as it wasn’t a hidden cane blade and actually folded, it would be LEGAL most places in CA. There are ZERO size restrictions on concealed carry folding knives or open carry fixed blades. Just can’t hide a fixed blade of ANY SIZE on your person in a way that you can get it out quickly...

I carry my Glock 27 with 10-12 rounds (depending on magazine), opposite a (usually large) folder and a very small Asp Palm Defender OC spray canister. Dog or no dog.

(and two flashlights and a wallet and a phone and a small folder and a watch and fire and my badge)
Thank you very much for your reply sir and thank you for your service. I actually read up on the California/Los Angeles laws in the knife laws thread the other day. I’m definitely going to add a nice EDC sized pepper spray into my carry thanks to everyone’s replies on this thread. A great non-lethal alternative that will surely keep any unwanted individuals at bay. At nights a nice strong flashlight sure is effective in disorienting any possible threats as well.

A husky of course :D

eol9qFS.jpg

if we're properly out I'm the sticks far away probs the ka bar short or bigger
when I'm in my local woods close to home ti lite 4 Iv used it most for helping the local wild life out of getting stuck in rubbish or Fisher men who leave old line every we're cutting throught overgrown or getting past the thron bushes in the trails the main problem we're I live is people training fighting dogs and big aggressive dogs I'm lucky I have a big German sherphard call Kaos and hes well traind but I know he's taped (has been all his life i dont care my best friend but I'm not naive I know how to handle him) and most other dogs can just tell and don't come near him he never starts it but has finished it a few times while on a short lead attached to me and he's not a big fan of people but knows he's has to pretend not to be a physco lol so as said earlier I wouldn't use the knife as a weapon just a tool the dog is the big deterrent and no human has ever tested him and we live in a questionable area

Another note on pepper spray.
Even if you think it’s unlikely you’d ever use it, it could be a lifesaver in court if you ever had to use deadly force. Having the option of a lower force level allows you to articulate that you had the option but that it wasn’t reasonable for XYZ reasons... If aren’t carrying any, you don’t have that powerful piece of defense...

If your dog is bad enough, why would you need a weapon to defend yourself?
My girl is the sweetest dog ever but for some reason she’s really wary of strangers when we’re out for walks and she barks at everyone. Would she attack someone if I was being attacked? Who knows, I sure hope so lol. But I’d rather pepper spray someone instead of having my dog attack them and risk her getting injured to be honest. Now if she was a trained attack dog that’d be a different story.

Back