What’s goin on??!

Hey guys it’s been a little bit since I posted on here but I need some advice .. the past few months I’ve been killing it sharpening my knives and some of the other meatcuttet’s knives as well. But the past week or so it seems that I can’t keep an edge on any of my butcher knives , I have two victorinox and a generic breaking knife I think it’s some kinda crmov type of stainless, softer steel . I thinned them twice since and they still won’t last a 8 hour shift . I mean they take a beating but before I’d get like a week without having to sharpen them I’d just strop em before my shift . Any ways what u think? What u think I’m doing wrong ?

Hey guys it’s been a little bit since I posted on here but I need some advice .. the past few months I’ve been killing it sharpening my knives and some of the other meatcuttet’s knives as well. But the past week or so it seems that I can’t keep an edge on any of my butcher knives , I have two victorinox and a generic breaking knife I think it’s some kinda crmov type of stainless, softer steel . I thinned them twice since and they still won’t last a 8 hour shift . I mean they take a beating but before I’d get like a week without having to sharpen them I’d just strop em before my shift . Any ways what u think? What u think I’m doing wrong ?
I guess it would help if I told you how I’ve been sharpening, a duh .. I usually have been using either my Shapton pro 1k and then my king 1200 , or if it super dull I have a king 300 then my shapton 1k I have two 2k’s but I don’t use them much unless there’s top round on sale and I bring a stone with me for touch ups cause they don’t last to long if I go over 1200. I have a shapton and the green brick , I also have a HF belt grinder and sharpen other knives on that I haven’t done my work knives , think I should give it a shot?

How thick are they behind the edge? Maybe they're just too thick behind the edge after so many sharpenings? If so, it's regrind time.

How thick are they behind the edge? Maybe they're just too thick behind the edge after so many sharpenings? If so, it's regrind time.
Yea I’m thinking I didn’t thin them enough, how u think the belt grinder edge will hold up ? I have a 1x30 and was thinking on honing it a shot

I've never used that grinder, but I have a friend who used one for a while. It may do the job, but I would treat it like an emergency last resort type of thing, because I think it would be awfully slow, especially if using aluminum oxide belts. I think if you're a meat cutter, you'll save yourself and your co-workers a lot of hassle if you buy a 2 x 42 like the Dayton, and some good ceramic belts in 60, 120, and 220 grit. For simple regrinding, this set up will keep you going for a long time, and each knife will take five minutes at most, even if obscenely thick behind the edge. It's what I use for knife making (I use more grits than just these, but those three will be enough for your purposes), and I have also reground Spydercos in S110V and K390 on it. It'll be more than enough for you.

And for actual sharpening - seconds per knife.

Back