What’s the folding knife you feel comfortable using for everything and anything

I’m sure some of you have many, but if you had to choose one. One knife that feel confident using for every and any task, both for your sake and the sake of your knife. For me it has to be something well made and durable but not something too high end or expensive. I tend to baby my expensive knives out of fear of damaging them.

Generally Vic SAKs for me. Probably not up to cutting tires or conveyor belts, but just about everything in the normal realm for me. Any knife I use gets used for whatever comes up. I will say that if I am cutting cement bags or bags of gravel open, I will grab something a bit different for this.

You lost me when you said just one knife.

If one knife was all I had I’d buy, find or make others to fit the different needs. That’s like telling a mechanic he can only have one wrench to work on everything. It doesn’t work. There’s a reason why there are different sizes, types, and designs. I’m not going to use a large fixed blade Bowie to skin a small rabbit nor will I use a small slip joint pen knife to process an Elk or make kindling for a fire. And so on.... you can’t have to many knives or guns.

They seem too big / heavy for my tastes... But I think you just summed up their allure, very simply. :thumbsup:

Buck 110 or 112 Slim Pro, thinner, lighter, good steel, and a classic design.....just not as heavy as the classic belt knife. For my needs either would do fine. Others have different needs which are different from mine.

Last edited:
Any one I have, I don't buy knives I don't want to use. Currently my Buck Vantage. Good design, good enough materials, cheap enough not to care.

You've all seen 'er.
She slices, she dices, she crawls on 'er belly like a reptile.
I'm talking about the infamous
the unstoppable.
the singularly brilliant
CTS-XHP no less
. . . my . . . wonderful
. . . my . . . lovely
you guessed it . . .
full flat ground Cold Steel Ti Lte IV ! ! !
IMG_3720.jpg

Last edited:
I usually have three folding knives on me. Every one is replaceable and inexpensive. Alox Electrician, Okapi Biltong, Opinel 6. If something tougher is required, I have a number of fixed blades to turn to, Anza, Mora, Hultafors GK, a couple of Brian Griffin Schrades.

A large CRK Sebenza 21. I’ve been EDCing one exclusively since last December. It’s handled everything I needed it to do easily, it’s not too large or too small, disassembly and cleaning couldn’t be simpler or easier and it always goes right back to being perfectly centered with zero blade play. I can’t think of anything else I could even hope for in a thumb stud EDC.

Got to agree with ScooterG ScooterG . Tried collecting turns out an unused blade is just sad and lonely.
My go to; Gibbs Special ZT0301. And being a Scout "Always prepared" the Buck Spitfire in my left pocket. Cheating maybe, surviving definitely!

Another SAK person here. At one point in my life, the only knife I carried and used was a Victorinox Spartan, which I carried and used for nearly a decade living overseas, and then for five more years after I returned Stateside. I never abused it, but it handled every use I needed a pocketknife for, and held up great.

Another knife I wouldn’t be afraid of using for all kinds of things is my large CRK 21 Insingo. Even though they’re more expensive than my other knives, CRKs really hold up, and they age very gracefully.

Jim

I also don’t buy knives I’m not comfortable using. For me they must be of durable tough materials in a strong design. I only have two knives that are kept back for sentimental reasons that I don’t use not because they can’t take it but because I don’t want to lose them or by chance break them. I’m not into flashy, highly ornate or exotic types especially when the materials can be more easily broken. To me the scratches and dings are character and tell a story and I’d rather have that than a pretty I’m scared of using.
Now if I were in a short term survival situation then I could make do with almost anything but I’d likely have a Buck 110 and I know they can handle the task.

Back