1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

What’s you favorite CPK, why?

Discussion in 'Carothers Performance Knives' started by gunslinger387, Aug 24, 2019.

1. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    Light Chopper...great neutral handle that feels like it was made expressly for me...

I use mine very Machete-like...I just don't scythe down close to the ground with it :eek:

it's very "snappy." :cool:

Standard78, gusbuster, Xr6x and 6 others like this.
  2. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    Nate and co. will see it first, which should be next week,so we'll see where things are at after that

Standard78, AdamZC, gusbuster and 7 others like this.
  3. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    Whatever happens, you are a stud @Lorien.

gusbuster, Fullflat, fonedork and 5 others like this.
  4. azwelke

azwelke azwelke.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2007
    For me it’s the EDC1. It’s light weight and I can carry it without noticing it.

Standard78, gusbuster, Xr6x and 5 others like this.
  5. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Mine would have to be HDFK. It's the perfect camp knife and does a little bit of everything well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. SwarthyGnome

SwarthyGnome Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I use my EDC2 the most. Mail and boxes don’t stand a chance.
    I have an OG non delta Field Knife One.. my first CPK... my hand keeps finding that one to fiddle with while I am surfing the web

Standard78, gusbuster, Xr6x and 5 others like this.
  7. bluemax_1

bluemax_1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 17, 2014
    MC for me, out of all my CPKs (EDC2, FK1, FK2, UF, HDFK, LC, MC, HDMC, BC).

Always been a Large Camp Knife fan. The HDFK is a great knife, and I can absolutely see why so many folks picked it as their #1 choice. It's really a Goldilocks size for the vast majority of folks.

The MC is my pick, simply due to my own personal preferences. I've learned to use a 9-11" blade to do just about anything I might do with a 6" blade, but I like the added chopping power.

I'm a big fan of the FKs as well, but if for whatever reason, I could only keep one CPK, it would be the MC for me.

Standard78, gusbuster, Xr6x and 6 others like this.
  8. azwelke

azwelke azwelke.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 12, 2007
    The FK1 is in close second, and is the knife I’d keep, if I could only keep one.
    I love the grip on it. At first I really didn’t understand what people liked about it so much. After some use, I found out. It’s versatile and feels great.

9. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    The FK2 is damn near perfection. I could go on and on about the handle ergonomics, steel and geometry.

As to the original question, "which CPK?"...

THIS CPK. There are a lot of FK2, but this one is mine.

20190625_194040~01.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  10. mpjustin

mpjustin Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Another vote for the HDFK for the best multi purpose knife. However I find myself carrying my FK2 more often because lately my hikes have been more urban than back country. (But if I only could choose one it would be an HDFK)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    EDC is my most used knife, cus EDC! It cannot do what the HDFK can, but the HDFK can do almost anything the EDC can, cept EDC!

Oyster, Standard78, Dantone05 and 5 others like this.
  12. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    The OG field knife was near perfect to me.
    [​IMG]
    I (regrettably) traded the FK for the HDFK which was also almost perfect, just a little to big for my uses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I now currently only own the EDC2 which has blown me away. If it were just a little bit bigger, near the size of a field knife then, i'd say it were my stand out favourite.
    [​IMG]

Long story short. I just can't pick one :D

I am really hoping the DEK turns out to be a slightly larger EDC. That would make the most perfect knife ever for me.

Standard78, Xr6x, gusbuster and 6 others like this.
  13. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    Jesus fckin' Christ, those are some God Damned pretty things on that table

gusbuster, Fullflat, Odog27 and 3 others like this.
  14. XtianAus

XtianAus Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Haha, I use to collect gemstones before knives :p

15. Burke

Burke Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 25, 1999
    For “feels right in the hand” - it would have to be my A2 Shiv. Funnily enough, I don’t really like the way the HDFK feels but it works great, from choking up for detailed carving to holding the very back of the handle for chopping.

16. Ryan Thompson

Ryan Thompson Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 27, 2016
    Another vote for the HDFK. Easily the most capable all around fixed blade I own. And the performance! I have used it for pretty much everything, even filleted a bunch of fish with it, just because. As everyone who has one knows, it can handle virtually anything. I’ll also agree about the perfect ergonomics.

17. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Blasphemous blessings by Bobby B

gusbuster, Fullflat, grogimus and 5 others like this.
  18. betzner

betzner CenCal Coast Platinum Member

Jan 23, 2007
    And here I thought you were alliterate......

19. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    Alliterating and always appropriately asinine, amigo

20. Josh K

Josh K Pirate

Sep 29, 2008
    Having to pick now, it'd be the Utility Fighter. It's not a chopper. I feel I would carry a small hatchet for that. I find the handle extremely comfortable, well balanced, and the blade shape perfectly useful from picking something out of a log, cutting up a steak, opening boxes, or whatever I have asked it to do. It's light and rides well in just about any configuration.