What’s your go-to dog walking carry? Let’s see some pics!

today was the Roadhouse

bSsw4y8.jpg

I feel sorry for you all that are so scared of your neighbohood or shadow you have to pack a gun to wallk your dog.

I live in the city and was car jacked in front of my house by a teen with a shotgun. A gun would have gotten me or him killed. Cops got my car back in 90 minutes.

I walk in the light and carry a pit bull and a knife such as a Shabaria, Stryker switchblade, Ultratech, Matriarch, BM530, Harpy, Ontario Dozier dagger, Steel Will Intrigue, waved Spyderco P'kal, or Al Mar Eagle switchblade.

Instead of guns, carry a well trained pit :). I am on my second one.

Sometimes my Kershaw launch 1, naughty this side but useful, and got it pretty darn sharp.

For when it's dark and dodgy people are about, serrated voyager xl tanto, and my six years of Aikido.

I feel sorry for you all that are so scared of your neighbohood or shadow you have to pack a gun to wallk your dog.

I live in the city and was car jacked in front of my house by a teen with a shotgun. A gun would have gotten me or him killed. Cops got my car back in 90 minutes.

I walk in the light and carry a pit bull and a knife such as a Shabaria, Stryker switchblade, Ultratech, Matriarch, BM530, Harpy, Ontario Dozier dagger, Steel Will Intrigue, waved Spyderco P'kal, or Al Mar Eagle switchblade.

Instead of guns, carry a well trained pit :). I am on my second one.

I shake my head at comments like this.

You choose not to carry a firearm. Great.

You are not opposed to violence. You choose to have others be the violence you disdain.

You call the police, not because they are a moral authority, but because they carry the guns you hold contempt for.

You called others carying the guns, with the implied threat of deadly violence that you feel disdain for.....but that is why you call them.

You indicate you use a large breed fighting dog as your "carried" or "implied violence"

I would not own a pitbul. My homeowners insurance won't insure my home if I have one.

I've personally seen the result of one mauling its owner to death. A BAD way to go. Those images won't go away any time soon.

My child hood friend suffered a lifetime of a heavily scarred face as the result of his own pet pitbull.

Too many videos of owners being mauled by their own pitbulls. Life altering injuries, not counting the financial ruin of their dogs also mauling others in the disaster.

Are you a coward because you choose to have a large fighting breed accompany you? You talk about it as a weapon...and a shield....

I've carried concealed for 20 years.

I have had to point a loaded gun at other people twice (neither was while concealed carry and were home defense situations).

I've had many other occasions where display or even use of a firearm would have been found justified, but chose not to.

The last time was literally in the parking lot in front of the sherrif's office (and the local jail).

I chose not to use the firearm or display it. The criminal would not leave my vehicle....would not stop trying to open the door... I could have called some one with a gun also....the sherif would have been outside in moments....

The individual was later arrested for similar behaivor.

You can choose not to use a concealed carry piece....but if you don't have it, that option is gone.

I find the "my tough dog will protect me.....Guns are for cowards" attitude funny, as it will be your dog, I guess facing a knife, gun, pipe....etc??

The kid who car jacked you with the shotgun...

That could have ended with you full if buckshot and bleeding out with or without cooperation.

I deal with those charged withe crimes...day in and day out.

Your outcome/life often depends on complete whim....dose of uncontrolled/illicit substance etc, etc...how rusty the gun trigger group is.....often, the clients can't even articulate any what/why/reasons for how these decisions happen...

I'll keep carrying. I don't live in fear. I live with very realistic views on human nature, what value I place on my own life, my families lives...

Being prepared is not the same as being afraid...

No more fear than any police officer who carry a firearm every day. I don't go looking for trouble, and avoid it when I see it.

If the equation ever gets to the point where what some one else is doing go me, or family, or some poor stranger warrants deadly use of force....I can't wish a gun, or a police officer with a gun into existence...

Last edited:
My uncle, NYC PO, and cousin, DEA agent, says a gun in the hand of an untrained citizen is stupid and dangerous. They trained regularly and always carried concealed. Open carry in plain clothes is for the stupid and cowards. Me they gave a whistle :) really and told me to get a black dog, rott, pit, doberman or a german shepherd.

You don't know shit about pits and less about dogs. Not really even worth educating you. But I'll try, read this https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/02/06/troublemakers-malcolm-gladwell.

My current pit has one eye, no ears, missing muscle around the missing eye and loves people, especially kids. She is a trained fighter. When she trains the younger dog, just in play, she's a marvel to watch, even in her old age. Her unknown first owner dumped her due to heart worms. She's even trained to protect against humans. In rough play, if you are not careful, she deftly hits behind the knees and takes you down.

Last edited:
Instead of guns, carry a well trained pit :)
I carry my pit from time to time - mostly in the house, though. He seems to enjoy it, and doesn't fuss or squirm.
View attachment 1623627

As far as what I carry while we're out walking - whatever I was already carrying. The only "extras" I add for the walk are poop bags and a light if it's getting dark.

I have no issues with brownshoe being brownshoe.

I also did not come storming into a thread saying anybody who carry a gun for protection must be a coward.

I don't tell him now to live or make slurs....I would expect the same courtesy.

Back