What’s your S45VN experience been?

Concerning 15 degrees you are going from a wider V shape to a more narrowV shape and from what I can tell it reduce drag and friction being more narrow.

As for the convening or lensing rod as they call it for the TS Prof I tried it and it gave an inferior edge. I too wanted to honor the original edge it works but the better edge is from normal sharpening. I would say save your money.

Do you (or anyone) understand why this is? It certainly seems counterintuitive.
I'll take a shot at this, although there may not be much empirical data available. First, the thinner angle is skinner, moves through material more easily, and therefore less pressure is applied to the apex while cutting. This slows edge wear. Second, when the edge geometry is thinner, the cutting surface itself is taller and therefore takes longer to wear down against abrasive materials. If you want to geek out on edge geometry, abrasives and finish, I recommend a book called Knife Deburring by Vadim Kraichuk.

The question about convex edges is really one of preference. Convex edges will provide more edge stability, which means they are less likely to chip or roll, although convexing does no favors to absolute edge retention. Personally, I have no use for a convex edge on a folding knife. I use the factory edge on my CRKs for what they are worth, but then I reprofile them to the most obtuse V edge I can while still getting underneath the factory convexed material. This normally results in something like 18 degrees per side. I've seen CRKs at 15 dps, and the blade will remain functional, but they look over sharpened to my eye. I find 18 dps to be a good compromise between slicing, sharpening life and aesthetics.

I've just sharpened a small Sebenza in s45vn for the first time. I'm a Wicked Edge user and I've sharpened tons of s30v and s35vn over the years, both on knives that belong to me and ones that belong to others. In terms of sharpening, deburring and final sharpness, this little knife in s45vn behaves just like s30v. I can't tell the difference.

I'm no sharpening guru, but my impression is that the edge comes up a little sticker on s30v and s45vn than on s35vn. We'll see if I can perceive a difference in edge retention, but I don't do any scientific testing.

I used to use the Wicked Edge 3 and have noticed big differences in all three of these steels depending on the manufacturer and sometimes depending on the place they originated from the factory that is. S30V in my experience is a mixed bag it can be really great or pretty much garbage for holding a good sharp edge.

I have purchased S30V from Spyderco allot with mixed results. I will never purchase S30V again. From Becnhmade I have S30V with excellent results but did not like it through Buck, and never owned it with Chris Reeve.

S35VN has also been a mixed bag for me with Spyderco, Chris Reeve, Cold Steel and a few others..

S35Vn I have owned several Chris Reeve Knives and can say there is a difference with edge retention compared to their S45VN, Sharpening as well but I no longer use a wicked edge. In all cases S45VN is superior in my experience.

S45VN from Spyderco = brittle

S45VN from Buck is like oh my God they dialed in the heat-treat perfectly this is the best 110 I have ever owned and compared to the 110 in S30V hands down the winner is S45VN. Bucks S45VN is the best in terms of sharpness and edge retention and is easy to hone as well.

Chris Reeve is right behind Buck but does not hold an truly sharp edge as well but does so very well just not by comparrison.

Spyderco= too brittle light use only in the PM2 and Para3 and even then the tip might snap off and the edge chip out.

As for scientific testing I'll leave that to Larrin, I go by how knives perform and yes I know edge geometry plays a huge role as well as thinness behind the edge but I also believe Buck has the best heat treatment for S45VN, although I did not care for their S30V 110 at all.

Has anyone tried S45Vn from manufacturers other than the ones I have? If so how is it going?

The guy that does spyder holes on CRK says the steel is a mixed bag. I’m not sure if the quality from CPM is junk or the heat treat is junk from the makers or he’s full of crap.

I have seen that guy, let's just say I would not be in his camp, I am fairly certain the different makers are heat treating their own way. Paul Bos heat treatment from Buck has always been impressive except for that one time in S30V. I mean look how they get 420 HC to perform and tell me heat treatment does not count.

I remember Chris Reeve himself saying there is no point making a knife out of exotic high speed tool steels that the average person cannot sharpen, from this it is my belief that this extends to the way he has his knives heat treated which as I recall the company uses another company outside of their own to do the heat treating.

As far as CPM making the steel different in different batches yeah no sale on that, if anything I would think that would be more difficult than following a formula.

Side note, man I don’t like the looks of the holes in the sebenza blade. Makes me shudder every time is see them.

Sorry, back to S45VN

With the fixed blade switch to 4V I think that would make one heck of a hard use folder steel. Only 5% chromium but with a smooth finish or a coating like what Mora has on their carbon steels it would be fine.

The mora finish is the toughest coating I have ever used and it’s never rusted on me.

I now own a Spartan Harsey Folder in S45vn, with a second on the way. The first is probably the sharpest knife I've ever owned. It's the large in all black. I also picked up a lefty Hinderer in s45vn. It's not nearly as sharp, but still fun. I'm going to try to dial it in on my Sharpmaker (it's the only sharpening system I have.) CRK, SHF, and this new Hinderer are my favorite knives by far. (Although I do like some ZTs, especially the Hinderer designs). I don't necessarily do hard use, and I work a white collar job, but I trust this family of steels as they tend to be pretty idiot proof. I've read enough about some of the other super steels to make me not want to hard use them, because I'm not proficient enough to fix chips or rolled edges yet. I'll be sure to report back if anything changes.

Has anyone tried S45Vn from manufacturers other than the ones I have? If so how is it going?

I also have a Spartan Harsey Folder that I have been using exclusively for two months - part of a personal one-year challenge to myself (feels odd to not have a CRK in pocket but I digress). I use it every day, and have not been gentle with it; it has been used for anything from cutting up lunch, breaking down boxes, opening up jobsite deliveries, cutting banding, zip ties you name it. I have not had to sharpen it yet, and have only needed to strop it up a few times; without fail it has come right back to shaving sharp and push cutting receipt paper (my personal baseline I use) with no issues at all.

I am a fan of their S45VN for sure - after my year long journey I would like to track down a large Inkosi tanto in 45 and give it a whirl.

Could you share some pictures. I have a large Sebenza and large Inkosi both in S45VN, and what you describe has also been my experience.

These two are hard for me to say which I like better. Not a fan of Tanto but a huge Inkosi fan for certain.

I travel for work for 10 days at I time. Get to use my Sebenza 10 days straight, plastic wrap, plastic ties, tape and cardboard. I don’t bring anything to sharpen or maintain.

I can say that between s35 and s45 done by CRKs that s45 holds a better working edge MUCH longer that s35. Both hold their sharp edge about same.

Hands down prefer s45vn from CRKs. If I didn’t get such equal side by side testing it would probably be hard to tell a major difference.

Back