What’s your trigger?

What’s your trigger?

• Buddy recommended it to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Got it since the GF/wife wasn’t looking.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like to explore different knives and brands. I'm all about the "budget gems" that work well, carry well, and aren't so expensive that I'd be broken up over wear, tear, or loss.

That's pretty much me. Always looking for the perfect knife (see quote in sig line).
But on occasion, I just see something I want to own, even though I have no actual use for it. Most of my fixed blades fall into that category.

I only need one knife. But it has to be the right one. And how do I know that a knife is not the right one if I've not tried it? So the number of knives in my knife drawer keep increasing as first I try one, then another. They all have been carried and used. Many are still carried from time to time.
I never expected “vorpal blade” to come from an 1871 poem. Sounds like something from a sci-fi or cyberpunk flick, haha.

Well I can massively out shoot my cousin, who went to the naval academy, 8 years as a captain in the Marines, and an FBI agent for 12 years. That should suffice.

The Beretta is impressively accurate. The upgrades make it stellar, though I wish it was a 9mm and not a .40.

It's a range and home defense gun. My carry (when Illinois finally gets around to mailing my CC permit) will be a Sig P365SAS and a Steyr M9-A1.
Oh I thought it was 9mm. Never tried a .40 S&W before.

.45 is probably my favorite handgun caliber. I like the rolling recoil as opposed to the snappy niner.

Same way I buy everything in life.

I identify the need for a tool. I research said tools and attempt to narrow down which one is going to best suit my needs to prevent having to buy to many variations to reduce cost. Then I buy what I think will work the best. Sometimes I nail it, sometimes I identify an issue with said tool and need to rectify the problem. So then I research again and buy the next variation. I evaluate one against the other and sell the loser. I repeat this process until I’ve found the best possible tool for the purpose. Overall price is irrelevant but given the choice I’ll spend once and be done with the shopping. Then I stop looking as I have no interest in owning multiple tools for the same purpose as they can’t both be “the best”. I do however keep my mind open to finding a better tool if at some point the one I’ve got starts irritating me.

I’ve found the best knives for me for a boat knife, processing fish, big game, small game, hunting wild boar and edc. My “collection” as such is complete and everything I ever need to cut is done to my satisfaction with world class knives.

My trigger - having about $100 in the fun money budget. Seems like if it's burnin' a hole in my pocket I find something worth spending it on. No money, I don't seem to need anything.

Look for unusual knives and rare pieces. Modern stuff usually doesn't interest me much with the exception of GEC who bring a lot of the old patterns back to life.

Triggers, hmm. I like to try steels I have not used before, locks, opening mechanisms, material, and designs that scratch my knife-aficionado itch.

I voted: "Already got 75 million of this same model but it’s in LC200N now!"

Of course the actual number is 5, not 75 million. And the model is Spyderco Resilience. But since Spyderco will never do it for me, I'll have to do it for myself. AEB-L first, and once I have it dialed in LC200N next.

The Resilience can already be almost any knife I want it to be with a bit of stock removal:

Spyderco Resiliences.JPG

How much more when I can design the re-blade from scratch?

I voted: "Already got 75 million of this same model but it’s in LC200N now!"

Of course the actual number is 5, not 75 million. And the model is Spyderco Resilience. But since Spyderco will never do it for me, I'll have to do it for myself. AEB-L first, and once I have it dialed in LC200N next.

The Resilience can already be almost any knife I want it to be with a bit of stock removal:

View attachment 1409599

How much more when I can design the re-blade from scratch?
I love the sound of a rebladed Resilience. Awesome project you have there, David. Plenty of things I like about that knife: blade shape, handle shape, the ergos and hand-filling size. Great all-around beater knife.

I like the PM2-like shape on the bottom knife.

If the budget Byrd knives get the BD1 upgrade, it’s sad that the Resilience doesn’t get the same treatment.

Believe it or not, I think I like 8Cr13MoV better than BD1. It's generally said to be a tad tougher than BD1, and I noticed it's a good deal easier to sharpen as well, which to me means finer edges that are easier to hone back to screaming sharp, even if they don't have quite the wear resistance. Just my impression though and I could be wrong.

But yes, the Resilience is a fantastic platform, and if I ever design a folder to produce myself, it will certainly take a lot of queues from the Resilience and Tenacious.

Believe it or not, I think I like 8Cr13MoV better than BD1. It's generally said to be a tad tougher than BD1, and I noticed it's a good deal easier to sharpen as well, which to me means finer edges that are easier to hone back to screaming sharp, even if they don't have quite the wear resistance. Just my impression though and I could be wrong.

But yes, the Resilience is a fantastic platform, and if I ever design a folder to produce myself, it will certainly take a lot of queues from the Resilience and Tenacious.
Interesting observation. My primitive primate brain always assumed BD1 to be an overall upgrade from 8Cr. I can attest to 8Cr’s screaming sharp edge though, impressive for a budget blade. Dunno about edge retention as I haven’t really thoroughly used it yet.

Most, probably all the reasons. Don't tell my wife.

Customs... gotta have it. Some of those ones, especially from makers here, just speak to your soul. It's also good to get one from a maker just earning their chops. Often a great knife for a great price.

Depends what I'm going for too. I needed a BK62 a few months ago (because who doesn't), so I picked up a cool one here with heat anodized hardware. Nice touch!

It can be argued that I'm still filling holes in my collection, so I can easily get focused on "I need one of these!" Recently heavy kitchen knives.

All the while volunteering to be the one who goes to the mailbox... and swinging by the garage before coming in and saying, "Nah, just junk mail and bills."

Back